Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,300 times

Advertisements

Hi, My husband and I are considering accepting a job offer in St Louis. We have two kids (2-6 yrs), we currently live in Puerto Rico (big difference). I don't know how to even start this home search. Basically my priority is to get a good public school for my kids, so, which neighborhoods do you recommend? I'll be working in (N Jefferson ave). Also I've know that latins are a minority I'll love to find a place where my kids will feel welcome... Can someone help????

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 07:53 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
St. Louis hasn't historically had a large Latino population, but in recent years their numbers have been growing. That said, I don't think you'll find an area of St. Louis that has good public schools and a significant Latino population.

That certainly doesn't mean all is lost. Many of St. Louis' inner ring suburbs have very good schools and are welcoming, progressive communities. If you share a bit more about what kinds of homes you like and what your budget will look like, we can probably offer more tailored suggestions.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:58 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,411,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Family View Post
Hi, My husband and I are considering accepting a job offer in St Louis. We have two kids (2-6 yrs), we currently live in Puerto Rico (big difference). I don't know how to even start this home search. Basically my priority is to get a good public school for my kids, so, which neighborhoods do you recommend? I'll be working in (N Jefferson ave). Also I've know that latins are a minority I'll love to find a place where my kids will feel welcome... Can someone help????

Thanks,
There are a few Boricuas in the Metro East of St. Louis (near Scott AFB, IL) due to the larger military presence. You may also want to consider the Metro East as well as greater St. Louis, Missouri. Many here commute to the city and the communities around Scott AFB (only 20 miles from the city with easy access) have good schools with a smaller to middle-sized town feel to it. I would suggest checking out realty.com to get a better idea no matter where you want to live.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,300 times
I guess that I'll be renting at first probably for a year or too... I don't mind if there aren't many latins or Puertorricans, what I'm really looking is a good neighborhood, I'll be working in N. Jefferson Ave. I don't have to be that closed to my job, I can travel, but how is the traffic? Which neighborhood have good public school?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:15 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,411,375 times
Quote:
I guess that I'll be renting at first probably for a year or too... I don't mind if there aren't many latins or Puertorricans, what I'm really looking is a good neighborhood, I'll be working in N. Jefferson Ave. I don't have to be that closed to my job, I can travel, but how is the traffic? Which neighborhood have good public school?
The traffic (on both sides of the river) can be quite the challenge. The better school districts on the Missouri side will have the higher priced homes like Ballwin, Oakville, Creve Coeur, Chesterfield, etc. On the east side of the river, the better schools are found in some of the smaller towns like O'Fallon, Mascoutah, Troy and Edwardsville. You want to stay away from East St. Louis, Granite City, Alton, Fairview Heights and Belleville. Belleville isn't that bad (if you are on the eastside of Belleville), but it's getting there.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
I can't think of any other Jefferson than the one in the city, but if you have a cross street of where you'll be working that would help me place it a little better.

That said I would highly recommend beginning your search with inner-ring suburban communities such as Webster Groves, Kirkwood, Richmond Heights, University City. These areas have a great community feeling, good schools and an easy commute into the city for work and play.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:52 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,600,257 times
It's impossible to suggest any neighborhoods without first knowing your budget, size requirements, type of nieghborhood etc. Do you want urban or suburban? House, townhome, or apt?

If you found a really great house in a great city neighborhood would you consider/could you afford a private prep school or catholic school?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:27 PM

58 posts, read 134,896 times
Quote:

Thanks,
mayor slay just tweeted that we've got the Greater St. Louis Hispanic Festival in 2 weeks, I've never been but I'm considering checking it out to see what the turnout is like. I do know however that St. Louis is a growing Hispanic community.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:22 PM

58 posts, read 134,896 times
^ leave troll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasminr View Post
I agree....i miss all the white folks i hispanics r takin over
I want my old New York back

Recently, on stltoday.com they said Missouri was a destination state for immigrants and the hispanic community is growing in St. Louis.

Old 09-03-2021, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,067 times
Quote:

Thanks,
Explore these cities are St. Louis neighborhoods or close to Creve Coeur, Clayton, Chesterfield, DePeres, St. Charles, St. Peters. Those have good school districts

Yo soy Boricua
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis