U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 06:27 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,925,030 times

Advertisements

Hi folks of St Louis. I may be considering St Louis in the future and I would like some suggestions or recommendations, good places there for cheaper money maybe near downtown or outer neighborhoods. Also, I am a northerner originally from MA who has lived in FL for some time. I do not plan to infiltrate your city and then ***** about it like some other people do with other US cities like when they move from NY or CA to somewhere. I am just in search of a city that I can fit into and adjust to rather than move and then make others adjust to my ways totally.
I hear STL has racial segregation and limited races which is fine since I don't care to learn spanish at all and am in FL where I seen my share of spanish speaking. I am not racist myself and I am even the type to consider a partner of the black race to go with. Is this stuff truly frowned upon INCASE I wanted to do that? I am not too worried, but just figured I'd ask.
From what I seen of STL, it looks to me like a city I lived right beside my whole life (Lowell MA only bigger) and has the cobblestone streets and it even reminds me of England too from pics I saw and I considered Brighton too so seeing this made me think. It looks old and quaint and possibly one of the oldest cities in the nation which also draws me. I thought i needed to live near the ocean, but if need be I won't since I am pretty priced out of most of the coastal cities that are good places to live, so am just looking for a city to fit the bill well despite the fact there will be little seafood to pick from. You guys got Save A Lot I see and I think they came outta MO too. I could probably get frozen fish there or something which is good.
Restaurantwise I read how the chinese food in STL is pretty decent or real or theres just enough cheap places to eat out at? Is there decent mexican there too or ethnic/pub type restaurants to eat at? Please let me know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 07:59 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,645,542 times
You will be just fine with an African American partner, I know several mixed race couples. St Louis is a big city (2.8 million) There are a ton of restaurant options from super cheap to expensive and any kind of ethnic food imaginable. Actually, STL has one of only two Bedouin restaurants in the country (other in Brooklyn)

Old 08-30-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
You will be just fine with an African American partner, I know several mixed race couples. St Louis is a big city (2.8 million) There are a ton of restaurant options from super cheap to expensive and any kind of ethnic food imaginable. Actually, STL has one of only two Bedouin restaurants in the country (other in Brooklyn)

Alrighty. I was gonna say in any decent sized US city. dating interracial or being different in general as in funkier should not be frowned upon and I think its actually a cool thing that MO in general especially STL gets a rap for being liberal especially since much of the midwest is known as meat and potato conservative and KC is probably moreso as it leans beside Kansas vs say STL closer to Chicago. I'd imagine Missouri have many conservocrats though in general.

I found Al waha restaurant when searching for Beduoin. Since it says hookah lounge, Im guessing its arabic. I heard how the chinese there is pretty decent though or many of the places they dont put peas and carrots in it and stuff.

STL has 2.8 MIL?? I think that means surrouding area too.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:42 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,677,213 times
Al Waha is a hookah lounge too but the food is Bedouin and Afghan, and is quite good if you ask me. Chinese food here is just ok...I wouldn't say it's spectacular. I mean everyone has a place they swear is the best, but I don't think there is one that everyone agrees on. Most are small family owned places and vary from pretty awesome to really crappy. However, St. Louis does have an excellent Vietnamese restaurant scene. On a several block stretch of South Grand you can come across no less than 5 or I think now it's even 6 Vietnamese places. There are good ones spread all throughout the area. My favorite is Pho Grand and I hear Mai Lee is excellent too.

I think it depends on where you end up in the area to how the area is culturally. I would say most of the St. Louis area is suburban in nature but generally follows the 50/50 trend of half conservative half liberal bent of most suburbs nationwide. I would say a basic rule is that the closer to the city, the more liberal an area is likely to be and vice versa for conservative. This is true for most cities, I imagine.

What kind of a vibe are you looking for? What are your interests? That would help narrow it down to a neighborhood or suburb that would be ideal for you.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:07 PM

2,660 posts, read 6,454,474 times
So you want to **** the blacks, eh?

Me too .

Anyhow, no, interracial lovin' won't be looked down upon. 21st century around most parts.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Al Waha is a hookah lounge too but the food is Bedouin and Afghan, and is quite good if you ask me. Chinese food here is just ok...I wouldn't say it's spectacular. I mean everyone has a place they swear is the best, but I don't think there is one that everyone agrees on. Most are small family owned places and vary from pretty awesome to really crappy. However, St. Louis does have an excellent Vietnamese restaurant scene. On a several block stretch of South Grand you can come across no less than 5 or I think now it's even 6 Vietnamese places. There are good ones spread all throughout the area. My favorite is Pho Grand and I hear Mai Lee is excellent too.

I think it depends on where you end up in the area to how the area is culturally. I would say most of the St. Louis area is suburban in nature but generally follows the 50/50 trend of half conservative half liberal bent of most suburbs nationwide. I would say a basic rule is that the closer to the city, the more liberal an area is likely to be and vice versa for conservative. This is true for most cities, I imagine.

What kind of a vibe are you looking for? What are your interests? That would help narrow it down to a neighborhood or suburb that would be ideal for you.

That place would be a must go to then for sure. The hookah and afghan food. Wow 6 places for Vietnamese?

What kind of vibe? Well funky, but not extremely elitist either and decent people on the whole, cool bars nearby. Shops that cater to music, good restaurants, transit. alternative influenced, somewhat young with some middle aged inbetween, people comfortable doing their own thing even if its crossdressing, but very few little kids. I like stuff like Sufjan Stevens, Belle & Sebastian, The Smiths, The Whigs, Of Montreal, Dandy Warhols, some britpop from 80s to now.

When I looked on St Louis streetview, some main streets looked quiet and yet still pretty populated kinda like Portland looked to me when I visited there. Has that similar small city vibe only maybe not as developed yet. I wouldn't suggest they gentrify tons of places there because as it is now, St Louis looks like quite a decent place.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:00 PM

264 posts, read 665,104 times
I'd add Sen Thai bistro on Washington ave and Monsoon in Manchester to good Vietnamese places. IR couples are pretty common in St louis.

I'm Mediterranean and have never felt uncomfortable anywhere in this city, its a very urban place so don't have any concerns about it.

You might feel the central west end area close to what you are looking for.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:02 PM

2,660 posts, read 6,454,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
When I looked on St Louis streetview, some main streets looked quiet and yet still pretty populated kinda like Portland looked to me when I visited there. Has that similar small city vibe only maybe not as developed yet. I wouldn't suggest they gentrify tons of places there because as it is now, St Louis looks like quite a decent place.
Ironically - my two favorite cities in the nation. St. Louis is definitely in a major gentrification stage though. It's not Portland by any means (assuming gentrification means white or middle-upper class people of any race in city areas), but it's happening for sure in STL.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:07 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,677,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
That place would be a must go to then for sure. The hookah and afghan food. Wow 6 places for Vietnamese?

What kind of vibe? Well funky, but not extremely elitist either and decent people on the whole, cool bars nearby. Shops that cater to music, good restaurants, transit. alternative influenced, somewhat young with some middle aged inbetween, people comfortable doing their own thing even if its crossdressing, but very few little kids. I like stuff like Sufjan Stevens, Belle & Sebastian, The Smiths, The Whigs, Of Montreal, Dandy Warhols, some britpop from 80s to now.

A few friends of mine are obesessed with Sufjan Stevens (I am a fan but not obsessed) and Of Montreal are coming here in October. Portland is a great city and there are a few neighborhoods that have that kind of vibe you're looking for.

Off the top of my head I think you would like Tower Grove South/East, Benton Park/Cherokee, Soulard, The Grove, Washington Ave downtown, and the Central West End.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalea City Man View Post
Ironically - my two favorite cities in the nation. St. Louis is definitely in a major gentrification stage though. It's not Portland by any means (assuming gentrification means white or middle-upper class people of any race in city areas), but it's happening for sure in STL.

Wow man. I voiced the 2 cities that are your favorites too lol.

I like the small city type place that can also play the part of a big city and I also notice its like the homecity I grew up in, although this is a smaller place than STL.

Hows employment/unemployment in STL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>