Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:30 PM

4 posts, read 9,303 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

I will be relocating for work purposes to Creve Coeur, and I am hoping you can recommend some areas where I can live?

I am in my mid-twenties and am coming from an urban city - I love being able to walk/drive short distances to somewhere for the simple amenities: coffee shops, banks, convenience/drug stores, nice boutiques, small restaurants, etc.

I would prefer a city/area that is not more then a 30 minute drive each way from Creve Coeur, and preferably (without sounding arrogant in any way) be in a "nice and trendy" neighbourhood. I will only need a one bedroom apartment somewhere, and don't mind paying a little more for the area conveniences, nicer neighbourhood, and (presumably!) safe environment

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have done some research into the city, and am quite excited to be moving there! First thing is to nail down some accommodation options!

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 04:53 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
Sounds like the Central West End is what you're looking for. It definitely meets the criteria you laid out and is probably right around 30 minutes to Creve Coeur, maybe even less.

The Central West End Association

Also, I think Clayton and University City are worth a look as well. Basically, the areas near Forest Park.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:38 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
I agree, CWE. I lived in Creve Coeur (Kings Landing Apartments) and i could take the roads into the CWE and be there in less than 30 minutes if i was off peak rush hours, it's really not all that far at all, plus quick access to I-64 makes it a straight shot!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:00 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,925,582 times
You may also want to check out the Washington Ave Loft District downtown. Very walkable to a lot of trendy bars and restaurants.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 PM

4 posts, read 9,303 times
Thanks all! the CWE and Clayton areas definitely interests me!

The loft ideaa sounds very cool! I was just browsing this one, what do you guys think?
Vangard Loft Apartments in Saint Louis, MO | Apartments.com

I would probably be looking for something furnished for a few months before my fiancee can move down to join me. Most ranges I've seen so far are between $750 and $1000, which sounds reasonable without actually having lived in STL. Are those decent prices for that area?

(PS, already trying to nail down some good sports bars! Do you guys actually like watching the Rams?!? :P)

Old 08-31-2010, 07:53 AM

24 posts, read 58,914 times
Just my opinion...
I live within walking distance of Forest Park and like being so close to CWE, U-City, Clayton, etc.
I am coming from a large urban city (NYC) and while the loft developments downtown are cute and trendy...the downtown area of STL can be a bit dead after working hours and on weekends. There's activity on Wash Ave (bars, art galleries, etc) but if you were to venture off just a few blocks in any direction, it gets a bit vacant. To me, that would get dull, real fast.

That's not to say I don't like visiting a few of my friends who live in lofts downtown (neat views, balconies, etc) but it's just a bit too dead down there for me.

For example, two Sundays ago I spent some time at CityGarden in the afternoon...walked around for 15-20 minutes just looking for a place to get a drink. Finally had to just go to Culinaria (grocery store) to grab a bottled drink. Nothing was open! So weird to me.

Again, just my opinion.
So, highly recommend CWE area.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:35 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
Yeah I think it is all relative. There are certain buildings on Washington where you will be right in the middle of a ton of different places, most of which are open most of the time. The problem is that development is mixed going further south into downtown, with certain stretches having more than others. However, the lofts and building amentities downtown are all going to be relatively new and having a lot of features young people go for (granite, high ceilings, brick, etc...). In the CWE and other areas you will find some of that mixed with some older buildings which will be more utilitarian.

Still, I think downtown should be a consideration as well. Sorry but I don't know enough about specific buildings to recommend some for you. I think your first step would be to get a feel for the areas and pick out the one that would be perfect for you. My money is on the CWE but I think you will be tempted by downtown and parts of Clayton and U.City too. All these areas have metrolink stops, are dense, full of young people, safe, and have a lot of the stuff you are looking for.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:59 AM

529 posts, read 1,008,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpen View Post

The loft ideaa sounds very cool! I was just browsing this one, what do you guys think?
Vangard Loft Apartments in Saint Louis, MO | Apartments.com

I would probably be looking for something furnished for a few months before my fiancee can move down to join me. Most ranges I've seen so far are between $750 and $1000, which sounds reasonable without actually having lived in STL. Are those decent prices for that area?

(PS, already trying to nail down some good sports bars! Do you guys actually like watching the Rams?!? :P)
Judging by the attendance the last few years I would say no. However if Sam can consistantly play like he did last week then yes.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:42 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,596,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpen View Post
I've lived in Clayton for 5 yrs now since moving here after college. It's a really great place to live. It's very walkable, people are accepting, progressive, active, and courteous but I would not call Clayton trendy. It's basically uptown.

I'd live downtown if I were you.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:29 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Seems as though you've already gotten some good advice, so I'll simply add my vote for CWE. There are a lot of other cool neighborhoods that you'll no doubt get to know well, but CWE is a great city startng point and a pretty easy commute out to CC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis