Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,079 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to take a one year/season internship with the Cardinals in 2018, and am looking for a place to live in St. Louis. I was looking to receive some information about the city and some areas that you think might be best for me. I don't know much about St. Louis. I visited it once, we stayed and checked out downtown, the ballpark district, forest park, and played basketball in fairgrounds park.

I was thinking downtown by the Arch, since it's close to Busch Stadium. I might not have a car, so the convenience of walking is a nice plus, but I heard that downtown STL is really dangerous. I'm fine with taking the metro (train, blue/red line) in/out if that helps. Fairground park's area didn't seem too nice, so I'd like to avoid there. I know there's Saint Louis University in the city but not much about the area.

I'm 22, M, White, and graduating from the University of Pittsburgh next month.
Might get a dog, so some green is nice.
I'd like a place that has a decent amount of night life, bars/restaurants, and also a place nearby for groceries.

I had one girl tell me to look Clayton or Central West End. Anyone have any thoughts on those neighborhoods, or is downtown (by the Arch/Busch) really that bad? Or any other places to consider

Price wise, I'm looking for a 1BR/1BA apartment with a budget of around $800-950/month. Just looking for some detailed input from people who are much more familiar with the areas and neighborhoods of STL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 06:34 PM

58 posts, read 66,968 times
I wouldn't call downtown "really dangerous". It has some issues, but the general feel is that things have improved a lot and it is one of the nieghborhoods in the city with the highest rates of resident growth (mostly young professionals looking for an urban lifestyle). Most people live in the lofts along Washington Ave, next to several restaurants, bars and street level retail. I work downtown and would definitely not mind living there.

Generally you want to avoid north city. There are plenty of neighborhoods in south city that are a short bike ride (or a really really short drive) away from downtown/Busch stadium. Soulard, Benton Park, McKinley Heights, Tower Grove East, Shaw are all excellent and safe neighborhoods that fit these criteria.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjosty26 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to take a one year/season internship with the Cardinals in 2018, and am looking for a place to live in St. Louis. I was looking to receive some information about the city and some areas that you think might be best for me. I don't know much about St. Louis. I visited it once, we stayed and checked out downtown, the ballpark district, forest park, and played basketball in fairgrounds park.

I was thinking downtown by the Arch, since it's close to Busch Stadium. I might not have a car, so the convenience of walking is a nice plus, but I heard that downtown STL is really dangerous. I'm fine with taking the metro (train, blue/red line) in/out if that helps. Fairground park's area didn't seem too nice, so I'd like to avoid there. I know there's Saint Louis University in the city but not much about the area.

I'd like a place that has a decent amount of night life, bars/restaurants, and also a place nearby for groceries.

I had one girl tell me to look Clayton or Central West End. Anyone have any thoughts on those neighborhoods, or is downtown (by the Arch/Busch) really that bad? Or any other places to consider

Price wise, I'm looking for a 1BR/1BA apartment with a budget of around $800-950/month. Just looking for some detailed input from people who are much more familiar with the areas and neighborhoods of STL.
Hey there OP today is your lucky day!
Do NOT under any circumstances relocate to downtown STL or within its vicinity.
You will only encounter racism and condescending service 😡.

Trust me from a white girl datibg a Nehru - your best bet is Clayton, the CWEand downtown St. Loset are full of predatory thugs.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:06 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,980,515 times
CWE is nice. I am in the area several times a month and a lot has changed in terms of hyper gentrification since Whole Foods opened and Shake Shack made their announcement.

I've lived Downtown for 3.5 years and love the neighborhood aspect of the area. Everything is assessible but big box retail. With your price range that may be your best bet.

Both areas are growing population wise. With population growth comes crime. I feel safe but I can see how downtown may be intimidating especially at night during the winter months when the streets are empty. As with any city you need to be watchful and that will keep you safe. Most of the high profile crime happens in the spring when more people are out.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:54 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
I have and have had friends who were happy living in Soulard, CW, downtown lofts, The Hill, south of Forest Park, and Lafayette Square, so I can second-hand recommend any of those areas.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:35 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,690,848 times
Downtown, Clayton, and CWE are all good places to live without a car (I did live in both Clayton and CWE without a car, myself, years ago, and its become more walking friendly since, I'd say, esp CWE). Your budget is on the lower end for those spots, though. I've also lived in University City without a car, and Maplewood could work too. If you have a vehicle, there are a ton of other great spots in the city that are less train-accessible.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:09 AM

201 posts, read 220,361 times
Central West End is safer than downtown, and the MetroLink can take you downtown from CWE or Clayton. On your budget, you could certainly afford to live in CWE with a roommate or a studio apartment. Not sure about Clayton. The MetroLink doesn't run through Soulard, but as long as you have a place to store your wheels, you could definitely bike to and from downtown quickly. I would look at Midtown as well.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:35 AM

106 posts, read 201,145 times
Soulard would be great. Close to the stadium. Fun neighborhood. Lots of restaurants and bars. Very close to work. Good luck!

MMM

Old 11-04-2017, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,473 times
I think you can rule out North County.
"The Ambassador" - should have been named "Union Hall for Thugs"

[url=http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/gunfire-breaks-out-at-post-funeral-event-at-hall-in/article_bc6e3bc2-37c6-590f-83ad-b343d685a576.html#tracking-source=home-latest-1]Gunfire breaks out at post-funeral event at hall in north St. Louis County | Law and order | stltoday.com[/url]

Old 11-05-2017, 09:55 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,022,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjosty26 View Post
Hi everyone,

A young co-worker of mine has a loft downtown on Tucker I believe near SLU's new law school. He seems to like living there. That's about 2-3 blocks from the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis