Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:37 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times

Advertisements

The general matriculation schools in the city are pretty much terrible across the board, but there are magnet and charter schools that range from OK to extraordinary. There can be a fair amount of paperwork, annoyance, and holding your breath in trying to get your kid into one of the good ones, but given that your little one is still very young, you'll have plenty of time to learn those ropes. Many people do.

Given that, I heartily recommend Tower Grove South as well. The best part of the neighborhood is the area called Tower Grove Heights -- that's Arsenal on the north, Utah Place on the south, Gustine on the west and Grand on the east.

The western chunk of Tower Grove has gotten better over the last few years and there are some cools bars and a nice new strip forming along Morganford.

And you'll have access to the stunningly gorgeous Tower Grove Park, the second largest park in the city (after Forest Park of course) and one of the prettiest in the city.

You should not have a problem finding a gorgeous historic home in your price range. Might I suggest this one? Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate

It's been on the market for a while, and they've done a 50k price drop. And isn't it gorgeous!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 08:58 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
^WOW that house is so awesome and it's a steal for 200k. I really wish I was in the market right now!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:15 AM

^I know I was reticent to suggest it because it makes me want to come home and buy it for myself!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:26 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,177 times
You aint kidding Boom!

Old 11-22-2010, 02:08 PM

15 posts, read 75,799 times
Thank you so much, everyone, for your suggestions. I am hoping we will figure out the school situation as we go - it sounds like there are plenty of options out there if you're willing to get a bit creative.

Aragx6 - wow! I seriously love that house. I am hoping it is still on the market once we get final confirmation of the move (hopefully within a week or two). I'm looking forward to exploring the city based on all of your recommendations!

Old 11-22-2010, 02:41 PM

^Best of luck and please feel free to ask any more questions as they come up!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:19 AM

787 posts, read 1,415,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
The general matriculation schools in the city are pretty much terrible across the board, but there are magnet and charter schools that range from OK to extraordinary. There can be a fair amount of paperwork, annoyance, and holding your breath in trying to get your kid into one of the good ones, but given that your little one is still very young, you'll have plenty of time to learn those ropes. Many people do.

Given that, I heartily recommend Tower Grove South as well. The best part of the neighborhood is the area called Tower Grove Heights -- that's Arsenal on the north, Utah Place on the south, Gustine on the west and Grand on the east.

The western chunk of Tower Grove has gotten better over the last few years and there are some cools bars and a nice new strip forming along Morganford.

And you'll have access to the stunningly gorgeous Tower Grove Park, the second largest park in the city (after Forest Park of course) and one of the prettiest in the city.

You should not have a problem finding a gorgeous historic home in your price range. Might I suggest this one? Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate

It's been on the market for a while, and they've done a 50k price drop. And isn't it gorgeous!?
That is a gorgeous house on a gorgeous block of Juniata just west of Grand. The lucky people who buy that house will be able to walk to just about EVERYTHING they need on a day-to-day basis. Walk Score: 82.
Walk Score of 3651 Juniata 63116

We looked at that house before deciding to buy in University City (we just went under contract ). We needed a bigger first floor space for a baby grand piano, which we found in U City. From my previous postings, as some of you all know, it was a toss up between U City and Tower Grove South.

OP, this is a gorgeous house - oops, I said that already - do take a look at it. It IS a steal for $199,900.

Good luck, and let us know how things turn out.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:58 AM

^That's so funny that you looked at it. I do hope the owner is able to sell to a happy family -- you could live there for a loooong time!

I know we've talked before about the validity of the walk score -- I'm surprised the walk score for that area isn't higher! I know their algorithm is probably proprietary, but I wish they'd tell me what they think the area is lacking so I can determine if that's important to me! My last neighbrohood in KC had a higher score and I'd consider it far less walkable than TGS.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:03 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,540 times
I've said before, don't pay much attention at the walking scores. They don't have half the stuff that is in my neighborhood, and the things they do have are very outdated.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:04 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
Congrats on the house I noticed you've been talking for a while about wanting to buy there once your kids are out of school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis