Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 01:27 PM

15 posts, read 75,799 times

Advertisements

Yes, congrats on finding a place you love! How funny that you had a look at the house above. I am trying to talk my SO into it, but he is hung up on the fact that there's no central air. We have window units now and he is miserable in the summer (hot blooded). I personally love window units and prefer them to central air... I'll have to pull out all the stops to convince him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 01:38 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
I didn't even notice...you will find houses without central air to be somewhat uncommon even in the old parts of the city.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:09 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
We should ask inahandbasket who actually saw it, but I bet it's only the 3rd floor that has the window units. The listing says: "2 Window/Wall,Central-Electric" and from what I've seen it's pretty common to have window units on the third, usually more recently finished, floor.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:08 PM

15 posts, read 75,799 times
Ooh. Good point. I didn't notice that. Thank you. I hope that is the case!

Old 11-23-2010, 09:06 PM

787 posts, read 1,415,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtoMO View Post
Yes, congrats on finding a place you love! How funny that you had a look at the house above. I am trying to talk my SO into it, but he is hung up on the fact that there's no central air. We have window units now and he is miserable in the summer (hot blooded). I personally love window units and prefer them to central air... I'll have to pull out all the stops to convince him.

Thanks - we're pretty excited to be moving close-in and being just minutes and steps from all of our friends in TGS, Dogtown and U City.

For the price of that Juniata house we could have budgeted installing central air, so that was one of the selling points for us. There are LOTS of houses on the market w/ central air, though. Just depends upon how much square footage you want.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Congrats on the house I noticed you've been talking for a while about wanting to buy there once your kids are out of school.
Thanks - we found our dream house just a mile west of the Loop in University Park.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:16 AM

Looks like we have our answer on the central air, but if that is a deal breaker, keep looking around on the real estate sites. I like CBGundaker.com and Remax.com because of their Web site set up, but Realtor.com will have all the MLS listings.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
We should ask inahandbasket who actually saw it, but I bet it's only the 3rd floor that has the window units. The listing says: "2 Window/Wall,Central-Electric" and from what I've seen it's pretty common to have window units on the third, usually more recently finished, floor.
We looked at a lot of houses but I am pretty sure the window A/C units were on the third floor of this Juniata house, which is also the case for the house we're buying in U City. It has zoned A/C but also a third floor window unit in the finished attic. To have the third floor window unit in these older homes in quite common in STL.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:56 AM

^I bet the OP's hubby could live with that!

Unless I had the money to add c/a, a whole house on window units would be a dealbreaker for me. But those third floors that are just a big family room or something? I would think a window AC unit would work fine for a relatively small space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis