Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:49 PM

264 posts, read 697,567 times

Advertisements

I really don't think it matters where you are if you get a degree in psychology, social welfare, communications or political sciences.

I guess the opportunities or the lack there of would be pretty much the same all over the US. A professional degree on the other hand (no slight intended) is an entirely different issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 05:50 PM

662 posts, read 1,042,924 times
Lolz, I remeber that part!

Yeah, I wouldn't recommened it for other young people either. I'd recommend Seattle, Dallas, (various parts of Cali), NY and Portland.

I wouldn't recommend it on what you posted through, as some things are a bit far fetched. However, people outside of STL would have to get adjusted to it. Of course, Stl has made me strong and I am more assertive so it could be a good experience. But if you're not going to be a young person living the the 'burbs I wouldn't. The places I would recommend are too high priced. You really need a car here.

I've had my car broken into twice, people threatening to fight me @ Metro (Clayton station) becausae I wouldnt sell them my bus ticket. Of course, this could be replicated anywhere, but for what young people like I couldn't recommend it.

Especially if you don't know how to answer the high school question:P

*This post is sponsored by BubbyBobble. Please respond maturely and ask questions politely. Or you will be violated.*

Old 12-27-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Oh brother. St. Louis is full of young people, and not just in the city, either. While U-City, Soulard, and U-City are extremely young, even parts of West County are great for young people. Haven't you been to Creve Coeur Park? I wouldn't exactly describe it as "geriatric."
Yes, I'd recommend Ucity, and the whole Wash U area too. Eh, West County....wait till you have a family. Of course the shopping is better in West County. But the day they open a mega mall in the city is they day I vow to never go into the county again (except for the national Free Hugs day).

There's a different feeling between U-City and West County....

Old 12-27-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch_genesis View Post
The problem with that is 30 and under don't run St. Louis, instead they just might get ran out of St. Louis. While racism may be dying out with successive generations its still pervasive in St. Louis. Also I'd argue that with St. Louis being insular and cliquish people don't often get a chance to confront their prejudice and resolve it. St Louis has more bridges to build. St Louis may not be for the young person but it needs young people, desperately.
Which I agree. The problem is a lot of the young people I know are in West County and sort of cliqish (not ALL, have you but many).

I wouldn't mind staying (Young Free St. Louis anyone?) but I'd feel like I could spend my youth in other places with larger portions of youths. Which kind of feeds into the problem, I know .

There aren't too many young people movements (outside of the universities). Or at least unity in young people. If you're not from a school in West Couty, they're like GTFO!

The problem with hubs like Ucity is the fact that a lot are uni kids, and if you're a Uni kid from another school some time's hard if some people think their university is superior (Wash U students:P). Damn it Rolla, why do you have to stay so far away? I'd reckon we pass a bill to bring Rolla into Stl.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:21 AM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 868,896 times
yeah the job market sucks everywhere in the midwest at least.
I submitted at least 100 resumes in Chicago and dozens down in St. Louis im waiting tables at a restaurant yet speak 3 languages, have lots of work experience, 25 yrs old etc...
the fact that STL is the 52nd largest city in USA (i dont count suburbs) means lots of monotony. I wish daily that I was in a bigger city again, NYC, Chicago, Beijing etc...but the economy sucks and I had to come back to STL to survive.
I went to Ladue HS I know these West County people and the vast majority of them have lived in the same house their whole lives, have known the same people since kindergarten, and sort of see west county as a bubble where everything outside of it is a desolate wasteland. They have stability in their lives they have no problem with the lack of variety etc...people like me who haven't lived in any single area more than 4 years or so crave change, variety etc...I've lived in NoCo, St. Chuck, U City, the CWE, Chesterfield, Creve Coeur, most of my fam lives off of N Kingshighway or MLK etc...I've seen all sides of this metro area and it is home...but those that try to argue that there is a vibrant community for 20 somethings, a great dating scene, extraordinary nightlife etc. are living in an illusion. It only makes sense for the city's size to not have much of that going on. STL is what it is...take it or leave it. Of all the threads yes...STL IS cliquish (there are a few of us who like to mix it up but you must admit the vast majority of the population is "cliquish") the what high school did you go to question is evidence of this. Yes STL is making a slow recovery but for people like me who are impatient and ADD as hell I need the constant stimulation and overkill of the megacities. Good things are coming to STL over time, but by time it all develops I will be middle aged.

As for the "dangerous" city thing people need to wake up. If you're a white guy in the city the people who live in teh hood aren't really out to get you. The people you see getting murdered shot up etc are part of those communities or live there and were unfortunate enough to get hit by a stray bullet etc...people who tend to kill random people for sport aka serial killers often live in quiet suburban communities. If you are in the wrong area at night sure u might get punched and robbed but no one is going to kill you most likely. idk where im going with this i could rant all day...

Old 12-28-2010, 11:25 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,852,978 times
umm, you do know STL is actually the 18th largest city in the country, right? Here is a pretty accurate ranking of the largest cities: United States metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-28-2010, 11:32 AM

15th largest metro area...52nd largest actual city. stl is a city without a county they get no revenue from the burbs...im not a fan of any suburbs in any city just me...they're the same everywhere you go
Quote:
Saint-Louis or St-Louis, [sɛ̃ lwi] ( listen)) is an independent city[6] and the second-largest city in the U.S. state of Missouri. The city has an estimated population of 356,587[5] and is the principal municipality of Greater St. Louis, population 2,892,874, the largest urban area in Missouri and 15th-largest in the United States.[7]
Quote:
By the early 20th century, St. Louis was the 4th-largest U.S. city, but since the mid-20th century, its population has declined following suburbanization, industrial restructuring and the loss of jobs. Today the city is in 52nd place.[8] At the peak of the city's influence, St. Louis hosted the 1904 World's Fair and 1904 Olympic Games. It established a special tax district to provide a kind of endowment for its cultural institutions, and offers residents free admission to the St. Louis Art Museum, History Museum and Zoo. The city also has a nationally known symphony orchestra.
a good buddy of mine is visiting from Chicago at the moment...his first time to STL or a city smaller than Chicago.
We're driving down hwy 70, 94, ladue rd, k, lindbergh etc...he looks at me and says bro its strip mall after strip mall after strip mall with the same 10 stores in every area...how can you stand it? Doesn't it drive you crazy?

Yes. Yes it does.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:39 AM

I think what you don't understand is the fact that our city limits are smaller than any other city. In most cities Clayton, Kirkwood, etc would be in the city limits.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
Lolz, I remeber that part!

Yeah, I wouldn't recommened it for other young people either. I'd recommend Seattle, Dallas, (various parts of Cali), NY and Portland.

*This post is sponsored by BubbyBobble. Please respond maturely and ask questions politely. Or you will be violated.*
You're not going to meet large amounts of young people living in the suburbs. I spent the latter half of my twenties in STL. Move to the Loop, CWE, Soulard, Downtown, etc. I never had a problem finding large amounts of people my age. STL obviously doesn't have a young scene like Chicago, DC, New York, but if you are going to live in a medium size city in the midwest, there is nowhere better in my opinion.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:44 AM

all things theoretical cannot be included. I see many ifs ands, n buts in the STL threads. It wouldn't add much Clayton's pop is only around 12k? Clayton n Kirkwood are 2 great little communities with a sense of non wal mart culture yes.
But things are the way they are. STL needs more young people, more jobs, needs to return to its former importance of being the 2nd busiest port etc...I'd love to see it happen.

As for the city limits being smaller...San Francisco is something like 20 sq miles smaller than STL but has almost 3x the population. Paris has just about the same area but they crammed 2.2 million people in there...Population density is something we also lack which is what I love. The ability to walk in a dense area and have so many interesting things crammed in is something I have always liked...its not for everyone but its definitely for me. Sprawl aka suburban life is a negative for me.

Last edited by desperad0stl; 12-28-2010 at 11:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis