Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:13 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times

Advertisements

This is actually from October but I don't remember seeing this posted here. The Urbanphile is a great urban blog that focuses mainly on the midwest.

The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » Core City Educational Attainment

The first graph illustrates how with the exception of the Twin Cities, most cities in the midwest are just above or below 30%, which is also where the national average is.

The second graph is great though. St. Louis saw the highest increase in college grads of any of the cities studied with nearly 8% (2000-2009). Compare that to the national average of around 3%. Also note how St. Louis' numbers are vastly better than cities people will throw around to compare us with such as Cleveland and Detroit.

So what does that mean? To me, there are several ways to interpret that data. For one, it could mean that local professionals are moving from elsewhere in the region to the city. Secondly, it could mean that the regional workforce is gaining more professionals and that many of them are choosing to reside in the city. And third, it could mean that more city residents are attaining bachelors degrees. I believe it's a combination of those things.

Of course, you could also argue that the number of college grads we had in 2000 was ridiculously low and we were bound to increase that number. That may be true, but you can't argue that this is an awesome trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,596,929 times
I'm not surprised at all to see St. Louis retaining more and more young graduates. And I have to give some credit to what's happening downtown and the city in general.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:30 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Whatever the reasons, and I'm sure it's a combination of many things, it's certainly great news to hear. Thanks for sharing BB!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:13 AM

More good news guys and gals. USAToday has an article: Urban Centers draw more young educated adults.

Urban centers draw more young, educated adults - USATODAY.com

St. Louis isn't specifically mentioned in the article but scroll down to the chart at the bottom. Sort by percentage change and what do you see? St. Louis leads the nation in young educated adult growth with a whopping 89%. No doubt that downtown's revitalization has everything to do with this, especially considering this measure is only 3 miles out from the CBD. But of course the near southside and midtown is a contributing factor as well.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 AM

This article finally gave proof to what I have been telling old suburban fogies on this forum for years.

LOVE the idea of providing incentives like forgivable loans or rental subsidies -- especially in a town like St. Louis that has urban areas outside of the city limits like Clayton and U City, what a great way to make sure they're east of Forest Park!

Next up -- helping them stay once they pop out a few rugrats!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:28 AM

Oh dear god, don't read the comments.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:21 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Oh dear god, don't read the comments.
You made me read the comments because you said not to...

What a bunch of whining dinosaurs, those city-phobic suburbanites.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:28 AM

haha...well it goes to show that all the crazy xenophobic, racist, anti-city people aren't just in the St. Louis area - although I feel that way when reading STLToday somtimes

Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,087 times
Go to any major city newspaper, the comments are all the same. After subjecting myself to the STL comment stupidity, I didn't think those were too bad.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
You made me read the comments because you said not to...
I suspected that might be the case! I should know better than to read them myself, but they can be awfully amusing sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: