Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is St. Louis more cliquish than other cities its size?
Yes 42 50.00%
No 27 32.14%
Cliquish? What are you talking about? I grew up here and have thousands of friends! 3 3.57%
What high school did you go to? 16 19.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:08 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,846,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post

STL (and KC) both need to grow with city-minded as MO is going from a swing state to almost solidly red with the growth of Southern MO small town minded/praise jesus people.
I beg your pardon????
You personally know every person from S MO to make that judgment?
Good Lord, you just managed to insult most of my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,780,313 times
apologies if taken that way but southern MO really is growing with hard hitting evangelicals. and MO is going from a swing state to red state partly due to that. not suggesting anything wrong with reds, just that MO is becoming less balanced than it was.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
apologies
If you have to say things like that in order to prove your point, you have no point.
And I rather doubt if you have spent enough time in S MO to know anything about the people there.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:23 PM

i have family in cape girardeau. apologies again. but there really is hard hitting self-described evangelical growth down there, moreso than 10-20 years ago. the end result is that with slow urban STL growth, not exactly high growth on MO side of KC and more rapid S MO growth, MO is not as politically balanced as it used to be.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:30 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,872,539 times
I too, think MO is becoming more of a red state. And I do think it's a bad thing.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
i have family in cape girardeau. apologies again. but there really is hard hitting self-described evangelical growth down there, moreso than 10-20 years ago. the end result is that with slow urban STL growth, not exactly high growth on MO side of KC and more rapid S MO growth, MO is not as politically balanced as it used to be.
This chart is from 05, we have gone completely off-topic, this is the last post I am going to make regarding your comments about the "come to Jesus crisis in S MO".

Religion and Public Life in the Southern Crossroads

Old 07-18-2011, 03:00 PM

was hoping it would show growth by county but it's just static info that doesn't make any point.

but i could understand the offense you took... my sister is getting into it down there (was pretty mainstream before moving there) and my brother's wife is from S MO... they sometimes say 'praise jesus' which i don't hear in N half of MO very often if at all. hence, shouldn't be too offensive to call evangelicals by what they uniquely say... 'praise jesus'. granted, i should've just said proselytizing evangelicals.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:17 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,494,009 times
I'm not convinced the natives are getting any more religious, but a lot of conservative Californians are moving to MO for the cheap land and the low government regulations. If you hang out on the MO forums for about a minute that sure becomes clear.

I still don't think MO is growing significantly more conservative though. Like most rural areas they saw an uptick in the Tea Party movement that led to some big upheavals on the state government level, but I'm entirely unconvinced it will last.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
was hoping it would show growth by county but it's just static info that doesn't make any point.

but i could understand the offense you took... my sister is getting into it down there (was pretty mainstream before moving there) and my brother's wife is from S MO... they sometimes say 'praise jesus' which i don't hear in N half of MO very often if at all. hence, shouldn't be too offensive to call evangelicals by what they uniquely say... 'praise jesus'. granted, i should've just said proselytizing evangelicals.
No, you dont understand at all why I took offense to such an obtuse remark.
Which makes it very obvious you do not know of what you speak, nor do you know anything about the people of S MO.
Now, if you wish to delve into this subject in detail, please start your own thread and find some data that backs up your claim, because I sure couldnt.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I'm not convinced the natives are getting any more religious, but a lot of conservative Californians are moving to MO for the cheap land and the low government regulations. If you hang out on the MO forums for about a minute that sure becomes clear.

I still don't think MO is growing significantly more conservative though. Like most rural areas they saw an uptick in the Tea Party movement that led to some big upheavals on the state government level, but I'm entirely unconvinced it will last.
It wont last, I live in Teabag Central, and the movement is losing momentum here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis