U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Here's a video trailer for a new documentary called "The Pruitt-Igoe Myth: an Urban History"

[URL="http://vimeo.com/18356414"]Trailer[/URL]

It sounds pretty interesting.

Here's the documentary's website
[URL="http://www.pruitt-igoe.com/the-pruitt-igoe-myth/"]the Pruitt-Igoe Myth « The Pruitt-Igoe Myth[/URL]

I thought you guys might want to watch the trailer and then the documentary when it is finished.

[URL="http://preservationresearch.com/2011/01/coming-soon-the-pruitt-igoe-myth/"]Coming Soon: “The Pruitt-Igoe Myth” | Preservation Research Office[/URL]
Thanks so much for this link. This is indeed an important film for the study of cities, and I hope I can see it. It was interesting that the website indicated that St. Louis was on the forefront of post-war urban deline. I can see it as a quintessential example. Many other cities experienced it too, of course, but I sure saw it happen right before our very eyes in St. Louis. I was born and raised there, and I am saddened that its revival has been so slow and haphazard.

Yet I sure didn't help -- I am one who left St. Louis!

I was recently studying up on the Cabrini Green situation also. I am aware of the new healthy urban housing that is replacing that, but I don't know yet what happened post-Pruitt-Igoe.

Thanks.

markaysta
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 10:37 AM

888 posts, read 761,169 times
I studied this housing project as well as the destruction of historical neighborhoods in STL similar in architecture to Soulard - but much larger.

STL was losing tax base, and so planning large scale "renewal" projects was a way for politicians and business leaders to enrich themselves by taking money from the federal government and funneling that into businesses that would benefit from the "renewal" by proposing these huge projects.
Many white folks benefited financially from these projects - from the construction companies to the banks, etc.

The federal government was willing to finance as long as STL could prove the neighborhoods being demolished were blighted - which they did dubiously due to the corrupt and racist system that existed. The displaced residents were essentially powerless. Today, the same neighborhoods would have been saved and restored, much like Lafayette Square, Soulard, etc. In fact, even in the 1970s, planners in STL were starting to realize that renovation/restoration was a better alternative.

Believe it or not, many planners in the 60s advocated destruction of the Central West End, but tide ended up turning against them, and restoration won out. Luckily.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:00 PM

320 posts, read 455,273 times
Bump.

I just finished the Pruitt-Igoe Myth documentary film. All I can say right now is "wow." There are so many angles and topics to be discussed on the film and the history it covers. Both for the St. Louis region, but also nationally as the same patterns can be extrapolated to many other cities in the US. I'm still processing this film and may jump in here and pontificate later, but right now just wanting to bump the thread to read what people themselves have heard/discussed/experienced about either Pruitt-Igoe's history or the ramifications it has had (and continues to have) on a region.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:24 PM

105 posts, read 291,194 times
Just to let you all know, The Puitt-Igoe Myth film is availible on netflix.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 PM

240 posts, read 426,464 times
Just saw it a couple months ago. Even though a lot of the footage is accessible at the Missouri History Museum on on YouTube, the context in which it's put in is extremely powerful. The stories in the bonus features are quite useful too, interviews with several people who apparently didn't make the cut for the feature film. Also, haunting score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis