Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 06:29 PM

5 posts, read 6,026 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
My partner and I Might move to the St Louis area. I'm wondering if you could let me know some good areas to live for LGBT ppl, areas LGBT should avoid, areas with a lot of gangs (to avoid)? That type of thing.
Thanks,
Tone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 07:00 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,298 times
Would you like the city or burbs? The city of STL is very gay friendly. I suggest Tower Grove South/Heights, Shaw, Southwest Gardens, Central West End, Downtown, University City, Southhampton, Northhampton.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:43 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
Would you like the city or burbs? The city of STL is very gay friendly. I suggest Tower Grove South/Heights, Shaw, Southwest Gardens, Central West End, Downtown, University City, Southhampton, Northhampton.
HEY NOW! Those are all the places you'd suggest for straight people too!

Old 12-24-2011, 11:35 PM

Kewl, we'll look into some of those neighborhoods, if we do indeed move there.
Regarding the type of area, I like city and my partner likes 'burbs or country
So we'll have to find a compromise, but it's important to feel safe'ish (where we live) because we are obviously *****. Of course Gay-bashings happen everywhere, but I'd rather not move into some place that is especially hostile.. ya know.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:36 PM

Oh and we have dogs, so we want to rent a house.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:05 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
lol, people simply want to think STL is more liberal than it really is. Feigned liberalism at its finest. Would expect something like this in the Omaha/Indianapolis forum.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:51 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
I honestly don't think you guys would have any issues here in St. Louis, city or county. Luckily, there are some "urban" inspired suburbs throughout St. Louis, where you should be able to rent a house. Either closer in towards the city, or in some cases further towards the county. Typical county suggestions are: Webster Groves, Maplewood, Kirkwood, and St. Charles. I'd say that goes in order of liberal to conservative as well. Much of St. Louis County is conservative, but often in a more libertarian type of way (i.e. Government shouldn't spend so much money, and people should be able to do as they like".

Old 12-25-2011, 08:30 AM
tlw

98 posts, read 432,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Gays also are the best neighborhood pioneers. They were a huge factor in Soulards turnaround and are doing the same thing for the grove and south grand. As for being "friendly" to all sorts of groups I agree with that but since gays are still openly discriminated against I think being a city that is accepting to gays means we're a city accepting to all. At least that's what we should strive for.
Don't forget the CWE in the 70's.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks all.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:17 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
lol, people simply want to think STL is more liberal than it really is. Feigned liberalism at its finest. Would expect something like this in the Omaha/Indianapolis forum.
St. Louis is far more liberal than either of those cities. I know many gays here who do just fine. Omaha and Indy lean more conservative. St. Louis and St. Louis County have not voted republican in ages.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, I would say that a good place to h hang out if you are gay is on Manchester just west of Vandeventer. That's where the gay bars are. Also, the Loop is a fairly decent place as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis