Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 01:19 PM

105 posts, read 309,501 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I'm in the market for a investment/fixer-upper. I have a couple of properties in mind in the Benton Park West Neighborhood. They are a couple blocks west of Benton Park, and a couple blocks south of Arsenal. Is the area safe? Is it up-and-coming, or going to hell in a hand basket, or somewhere in between? I don't plan on moving there right away, but will be renting it out after renovations for at least a few years.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from folks that live or have lived in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 09:45 AM

105 posts, read 309,501 times
Bueller?...Bueller?...

Old 02-14-2011, 09:55 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
Wasn't this same question, about the same neighborhood posted about a month or two ago? Seems very similar to one I previously read, which had responses to it already.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:09 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
Personally, I would feel fairly comfortable there as an investor because I get the feeling the neighborhood is on the upswing. But I'm not so sure I would feel comfortable living there right now, at least not as comfortable as I'd be in neighboring areas (such as Fox Park, Benton Park north of Arsenal, Soulard etc...). BPW has some bad blocks from what I hear and it seems like nearby Gravois Park is the epicenter for crime on the south side, or at least that's my perception.

No doubt that BPW has a great housing stock and nearby Cherokee and Benton Park have some great amentities. BPW has a very active neighborhood association too. I would go for it and also think about Fox Park or McKinley Heights too - those areas are up and coming too but it seems like at a faster rate.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:45 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I would say the area is clearly on an upswing, but there is still a good ways to go. We were on the western side of Cherokee for Cinco de Mayo last year and it was a heckuva lot of fun, but walking the side streets it was clear there is much progress that would need to occur for me to feel comfortable living there.

But gentrification is pushing it from just about all sides at this point, and if the N/S metro line ever gets built and heads down Jefferson as planned, its hard to imagine the area wouldn't continue to improve.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,454 times
Default Thinking of moving there

I'm a potential first time home-buyer and have been watching the market while saving my 20% down-payment (still hoping for an election year tax break!). I've liked a few houses in the Benton Park area, and my fear was the crime, more than anything. I've noticed that the houses that I really liked have not moved and are dropping in price. To me, that has spoken volumes about that area. Whereas they are now well within my price range and look like great places to live, there has to be a reason that they are not selling.

Loki, I'm contemplating getting very aggressive with a property just east of Benton Park. Did you have any luck selling your properties?

Old 10-17-2011, 02:04 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
I personally think Benton Park is an awesome neighborhood. I would feel safe living most places in Benton Park. The title of this thread was about Benton Park West, which is must different than Benton Park. I would say prices are dropping because this is the worst time in recent history to be selling a house.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:36 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
^Agreed.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:38 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
I would say prices are dropping because this is the worst time in recent history to be selling a house.
This is entirely true, however it may not be the only factor. Crime isn't particularly bad in Benton Park, but on average there are simply less individuals who are interested in urban living within the St. Louis Metro than not. As such, the demographics that the neighborhood really appeals to is going to be smaller than some other areas around the St. Louis Metro.

Taking that into consideration. If I was wanting to purchase a home in the near future, and was interested in City Living. Benton Park would be on my short list . I'd also use the down economy and dismal home sales figures to negotiate a better price. The simple fact that there are numerous homes available in the area, most likely still at "elevated" pricing, would lend me to negotiate very hard at getting the deal I want!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis