Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:29 PM

12 posts, read 42,346 times

Advertisements

I believe that there is a certain communal sense when there is a quaint downtown area that residents can go to so that's a plus to Webster Groves. I lean more progressive as rule (and my wife even more so but we are definitely Democrats) and enjoy taking my daughters for neighborhood walks or bike rides. I would like my daughters to have local friends they can hang out with.

Our price range would ideally be between $500 and 650. We don't need a HUGE home (just the 4 of us), but over 3,000 livable sf would be great. I notice that real estate listings do not list sf of basement build-outs so that would most likely mean a minimum of 2,500+ listed sf with 4 bedrooms and a 3 car garage (I like my classic Mustang and the weather can be so cruel to cars ) Ideally a 1/3 acre or more would be nice. I see that Chesterfield has a lot of 1 acre + lots with bigger, newer homes. Also Ladue seems to have larger lots than Clayton and Webster Grove but all have older homes that are hopefully well kept and have that classic charm.

Do the school districts there still have good arts, music and PE programs during school hours or have they been victims of cutbacks like they have here? What are the class room ratios like? Are there any live theaters in or nearby? We enjoy plays and while I know there is the MUNY and other stuff near St. Louis or Forest Park, is there much community based theater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 08:08 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
Funny you mention community theatre--Webster Groves has a great one (Theatre Guild of Webster Groves, a friend of mine is very involved), plus the Repertory Theatre is also in Webster Groves.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:03 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I love the Rep! If you enjoy seeing live theater, the proximity to Webster University, as well easy access to the city, have to be big benefits.

And at the price point you're looking at, I don't think it will be difficult to find 1/3 acre+ lot -- that's pretty standard for the nicest houses in WG.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:09 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobstewart View Post
I believe that there is a certain communal sense when there is a quaint downtown area that residents can go to so that's a plus to Webster Groves. I lean more progressive as rule (and my wife even more so but we are definitely Democrats) and enjoy taking my daughters for neighborhood walks or bike rides. I would like my daughters to have local friends they can hang out with.

Our price range would ideally be between $500 and 650. We don't need a HUGE home (just the 4 of us), but over 3,000 livable sf would be great. I notice that real estate listings do not list sf of basement build-outs so that would most likely mean a minimum of 2,500+ listed sf with 4 bedrooms and a 3 car garage (I like my classic Mustang and the weather can be so cruel to cars ) Ideally a 1/3 acre or more would be nice. I see that Chesterfield has a lot of 1 acre + lots with bigger, newer homes. Also Ladue seems to have larger lots than Clayton and Webster Grove but all have older homes that are hopefully well kept and have that classic charm.

Do the school districts there still have good arts, music and PE programs during school hours or have they been victims of cutbacks like they have here? What are the class room ratios like? Are there any live theaters in or nearby? We enjoy plays and while I know there is the MUNY and other stuff near St. Louis or Forest Park, is there much community based theater?
Im biased, but I'd still consider Kirkwood. It shares a lot in common with Webster. It also has a local professional theater group, although I guess it would not be considered a community theater. It's downtown is very walkable as is most of the city. You will also find a lot of options in your price range. Anyway, you have lots of good options.

Stages St. Louis - Support - Your Gift

Old 02-18-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Im biased, but I'd still consider Kirkwood. It shares a lot in common with Webster. It also has a local professional theater group, although I guess it would not be considered a community theater. It's downtown is very walkable as is most of the city. You will also find a lot of options in your price range. Anyway, you have lots of good options.
It seems that Kirkwood and Webster are very similar and that they are adjoining communities. How long does it take to go from the far side of Kirkwood to the the opposite side of Webster? Is there really a significant difference between them? If so, what are the primary differences between day to day living, people, politics, housing, etc.?

As to community theater, I meant all inclusive (i.e. community, regional, professional), so the theater in Kirkwood certainly qualifies. It's nice to know there are a number of options in this area.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:51 AM

34 posts, read 108,475 times
Bob-
We moved from San Diego to St. Louis. We love it here and are not looking back. My advice is not to fall for the trap of buying too much because the prices are much better than California. There are a lot of great areas to live in St. Louis. I would spend a lot of time driving and looking before purchasing. We currently live near Wash U in University City. We like a more central location and semi-urban vibe. Our daughter is 3 so we are not ready for the total suburb reality yet. Our neighborhood is called West Portland Place. There are a lot of families here and most send their kinds to Private or Catholic after 6th grade. Clayton is expensive but you cant beat the location and convienence. The lots are small but the houses are great. There is also Ames Place neighborhood and Parkview which have big old three story homes. The streets are tree-lined and the whole area is beautiful. This is U City south of Delmar Avenue. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2011, 12:02 PM

Boyd,

I like the St. Louis area a lot. University City is definitely central with the semi-urban vibe, but the schools seem to not be quite as good. Since I have two daughters, one is 17 months and one is in 2nd grade, the public school system is really important to us and of course that means a bit more suburban (but we are definitely leaning towards Webster/Kirkwood at this time). Private school is fine, but we have that now and it's difficult to get her together with her friends because they don't live in the neighborhood. I'm a Midwest boy who was raised in public schools and was able to hang out with my neighbors when I was a kid.

I'm glad you adjusted from the lovely (but IMO kind of boring) weather from San Diego. My wife was born and raised in Sacramento and I know the weather change will be... interesting... for her

I agree about not over spending just because. We have certain requirements that we want and I can see we shouldn't have an issue staying within our budget in most areas.

Thanks for the note!

Old 02-18-2011, 12:09 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
^^Boyd, West Portland Place is beautiful, nice choice! By the way, although winter was awful, the weather right now in STL is amazing. Of course it's just a nice break but the cold will be over for good in a month or so.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:21 PM

758 posts, read 1,640,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobstewart View Post
It seems that Kirkwood and Webster are very similar and that they are adjoining communities. How long does it take to go from the far side of Kirkwood to the the opposite side of Webster? Is there really a significant difference between them? If so, what are the primary differences between day to day living, people, politics, housing, etc.?

As to community theater, I meant all inclusive (i.e. community, regional, professional), so the theater in Kirkwood certainly qualifies. It's nice to know there are a number of options in this area.

I'd vote for Webster, but I'm biased because I grew up there. Gorgeous old and big houses as well as smaller (but still old) houses. Lots of trees, parks, good schools, community feeling...

Kirkwood is actually rather big and has quite a few 'fingers.' It butts up against Webster but also butts up to the Valley Park/Manchester/Twin Oaks area about 18 miles from the city.

And I can't speak from personal experience, but I know quite a few people who have their kids in Clayton school district and hate it (all junior high/high school).

Old 02-18-2011, 02:39 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
And I can't speak from personal experience, but I know quite a few people who have their kids in Clayton school district and hate it (all junior high/high school).
Can you tell us more? That's the first I've heard of that, but I'm awfully interested as to why that might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis