Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:43 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times

Advertisements

after living in several cities, i think st louis is one of the best kept secrets in terms of urban lifestyle, quality of life and over all greenery.

Any where you live your safety is dependent upon ones lifestyle and where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
after living in several cities, i think st louis is one of the best kept secrets in terms of urban lifestyle, quality of life and over all greenery.
For years I thought I must feel this way because of my childhood love of this city, but the older I get, the more I travel, and the more I meet people who agree with you and I on that point, the more I realize it's really the truth!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:08 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

Any where you live your safety is dependent upon ones lifestyle and where you live.
yep, the greenery is one thing that always stands out to me. It's a very urban & dense city, but it still has a lot of greenery.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:22 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreviolence View Post
STL is a mess. For the most part, the people need to try more solution, like helping ministries that are geared to breaking crime.
I agree. After living in multiple cities, for its size it sure has a lot of bad neighborhoods and just general crime issues.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,562,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I agree. After living in multiple cities, for its size it sure has a lot of bad neighborhoods and just general crime issues.
This, coming from a Chicagoan??

Old 02-24-2011, 07:22 AM

I don't know if we can call him a Chicagoan just yet (the Chicagoans certainly wouldn't anyway!), but regardless Chicago has a lot of spillover crime. Rarely, if ever, did I feel unsafe (mostly because that's just not my nature), but some crazy stuff went down really near where I lived. A guy got shot in the face at Division and Damen when I lived there. Yikes.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 AM

I can only tell you this: I am a life-long resident of St Louis and have never been robbed or had a gun pulled on me. Neither have my family or neighbors. As with any city in the WORLD, there are better parts and not-so-good parts, so you use common sense and avoid the iffy areas. And let me repeat: the St Louis MSA is the 104th most dangerous urban area in America. That should put a little logical prospective to this discussion.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
I can only tell you this: I am a life-long resident of St Louis and have never been robbed or had a gun pulled on me. Neither have my family or neighbors. As with any city in the WORLD, there are better parts and not-so-good parts, so you use common sense and avoid the iffy areas. And let me repeat: the St Louis MSA is the 104th most dangerous urban area in America. That should put a little logical prospective to this discussion.
Residents Flee St. Louis, Especially North City, Over Last Decade « CBS St. Louis

Old 02-28-2011, 01:13 PM

I also find it very telling that St. Louis didn't have one neighborhood on the top 25 most dangerous. Not one.

America's Most Dangerous Neighborhoods: Areas With Violent Crime - ABC News

Old 02-28-2011, 04:38 PM

I just LOVE the description of people moving from one portion of STL to another as "fleeing". Like they were chased out by rabid dogs. These families simply made a personal choice: They wanted better schools for their children and quietly relocated to another school district-- often a district just outside the STL city limits, such as Riverview Gardens. simple as that. The media loves to paint a picture of utter desperation. But in reality, the constant shifting of population within metro areas is NORMAL. In STL, at the same time that some families moved from the city to the suburbs, you had countless others moving TO the city. many people find city life preferable. The population of all the neighborhoods in the central corridor increased or held steady. I know many former-suburbanites who have relocated to the city for the first time in their lives. It's all part of that constant shifting of population. Unfortunately, there was a net loss for the city in 2000-2010 because the number of people coming into the city was exceeded by those going out. Some like city life just fine, others are seeking something different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis