Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:33 PM

612 posts, read 1,842,750 times

Advertisements

Hello, fellow neighbors!

Myself, my brother and his friend have no less than 2 hours ago decided to go to St. Louis in 3 weeks for their Spring Break. I've been to St. Louis but that was in the summer time when the Cardinals were playing, Six Flags was open, and well it was nice and hot out. So, I honestly have no idea what to do in STL in March. I've done some research already but it's not yielding much.

I believe the dates we plan on going there are from March 18th-20th/21st depending on the budget. My biggest concern is finding what to do that will interest two 17 year olds as well as myself, a 22 year old. Obviously with two 17 year olds, our budget is going to be a little tight but not that tight. So, a few questions if y'all could help me out here:

1. Where to stay? I'm hoping to find a hotel close to (doesn't have to be too close) what we plan to see/do (what you guys suggest,etc.). Also, something that is somewhat cheap but not something that is trashy.
  2. We all love sports. I'm a former athlete and my brother and his friend are big time football players. Any place we can visit that evolves around sports? Sports bars, museums, stadium tours, etc.? Anyone playing in town (professional and non)?
  3. Outdoors. We enjoy the outdoors quite a bit (being athletes and all) so any attractions we can visit outside that are worth checking out even in the cold?
  4. Music. I'm big into music but my brother and friend are not into the same stuff I am (jazz, blues, etc.) so this may be something for me to do when the other two want to do their own thing.
  5. Food. Any hot spots we should check out? We like BBQ, Italian, and Mexican mostly but any brand/restaurant that is exquisite, we'll check it out.
I'll stop right there for now. I'm sorry if these questions seem redundant. I'm definitely doing my research, it would be nice to hear from people who live or have visited the area though to get a better idea on what to do.

I'd say our overall budget will be $400-$500 including driving (around $120) and hotel costs (hoping not to spend more than $100 for 2 nights/$150 for 3).

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Johnny Bananas; 02-28-2011 at 10:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 06:58 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,685,846 times
With your hotel budget, your best bet is probably staying out by the airport. You'll probably be able to find something around $50/night.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:07 PM

11 posts, read 37,121 times
Wow, what an unfortunate time of year to come with hopes of so much activity! LOL! However you are hitting the tail end of St. Pat's Day, so there may be some activities in the South City area straggling from that. Also, check out the calendars for the University City Loop area, Cherokee Street (there is a huge cultural/arts area there but a couple of places like 2720 Cherokee that host Indy music for a cheeper cover), and the South Grand area has a lot of music as well.

Outdoors can be sketchy as the weather is never a given. However there are MANY great parks here that have trails, especially near St. Charles and Florissant because of being near the river. If you don't mind a drive, you can head over to Alton, IL and go north toward Grafton. Pere Marquette State Park has some great trails and you have a view of the Missouri and Mississippi river convergance on the way. If you bring bikes there are a multitude of opportunities, especially along the first leg of the Katy Trail in St. Charles which takes you along the Missouri River.

Sports....hope you like hockey! LOL...not much else going on during that time. However we do have one mall that is great for entertainment, not so much for shopping. It is called the St. Louis Mills and there is a NASCAR Speedpark (go carts), Ice Zone which is the Blues practice arena, black light put-put, a skate park, etc. These, however, are all paid events...can run you dry real quick!

As far as food goes....do NOT leave the city before you go to Crown Candy Kitchen! It is deep in the "hood" (just north of downtown at 14th and St. Louis Avenue), not a nice drive in, but you will not be sorry! The area looks worse than it is and the food is worth it. It is about 100 years old at the same location. Great piece of history with the best Reuben I have ever had! If you haven't had enough icecream, go to south city on Chippewa to Ted Drews...I think they should be open...it is a seasonal stand. Another St. Louis landmark. Dewey's Pizza in Maplewood is making a big name for itself as well. They have just about any pizza you can imagine and it is REALLY good! If you head to the Loop in U City, Fitz's is a good time...Downtown there is a lot of nifty stuff on the Landing (riverfront area). The Old Spaghetti Factory is really something to experience! There is another location out in Chesterfield Valley, but though they tried, you just can't copy the ambiance you get from being in a 150 year old building on a cobblestone street.

I agree about the airport hotels, just be careful. You don't want to get 'too cheep'...that area can get a bit sketchy. Maybe just rent one night at a time in case you want to look for a different place the next day.

I hope this helped a little...I have lived in mommy-ville with 12 and 13yr old girls that are not athletic, but I hope one or 2 things here may do some good for you! Have fun and good luck!

Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,596,237 times
St. Louis News, Events, Restaurants, Music - read the rft to stay up on concerts, festivals, good eats, etc.

I'd be sure to check out the Science Center (free), the Zoo (also awesome and free), as well as the City Museum.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:27 PM

612 posts, read 1,842,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
With your hotel budget, your best bet is probably staying out by the airport. You'll probably be able to find something around $50/night.
I was thinking that. Hopefully that area isn't too far from everything but if I recall correctly it's about 30-45 minutes from downtown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderv View Post
Wow, what an unfortunate time of year to come with hopes of so much activity! LOL! However you are hitting the tail end of St. Pat's Day, so there may be some activities in the South City area straggling from that. Also, check out the calendars for the University City Loop area, Cherokee Street (there is a huge cultural/arts area there but a couple of places like 2720 Cherokee that host Indy music for a cheeper cover), and the South Grand area has a lot of music as well.

Outdoors can be sketchy as the weather is never a given. However there are MANY great parks here that have trails, especially near St. Charles and Florissant because of being near the river. If you don't mind a drive, you can head over to Alton, IL and go north toward Grafton. Pere Marquette State Park has some great trails and you have a view of the Missouri and Mississippi river convergance on the way. If you bring bikes there are a multitude of opportunities, especially along the first leg of the Katy Trail in St. Charles which takes you along the Missouri River.

Sports....hope you like hockey! LOL...not much else going on during that time. However we do have one mall that is great for entertainment, not so much for shopping. It is called the St. Louis Mills and there is a NASCAR Speedpark (go carts), Ice Zone which is the Blues practice arena, black light put-put, a skate park, etc. These, however, are all paid events...can run you dry real quick!

As far as food goes....do NOT leave the city before you go to Crown Candy Kitchen! It is deep in the "hood" (just north of downtown at 14th and St. Louis Avenue), not a nice drive in, but you will not be sorry! The area looks worse than it is and the food is worth it. It is about 100 years old at the same location. Great piece of history with the best Reuben I have ever had! If you haven't had enough icecream, go to south city on Chippewa to Ted Drews...I think they should be open...it is a seasonal stand. Another St. Louis landmark. Dewey's Pizza in Maplewood is making a big name for itself as well. They have just about any pizza you can imagine and it is REALLY good! If you head to the Loop in U City, Fitz's is a good time...Downtown there is a lot of nifty stuff on the Landing (riverfront area). The Old Spaghetti Factory is really something to experience! There is another location out in Chesterfield Valley, but though they tried, you just can't copy the ambiance you get from being in a 150 year old building on a cobblestone street.

I agree about the airport hotels, just be careful. You don't want to get 'too cheep'...that area can get a bit sketchy. Maybe just rent one night at a time in case you want to look for a different place the next day.

I hope this helped a little...I have lived in mommy-ville with 12 and 13yr old girls that are not athletic, but I hope one or 2 things here may do some good for you! Have fun and good luck!
Very, very imformative post. Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
St. Louis News, Events, Restaurants, Music - read the rft to stay up on concerts, festivals, good eats, etc.

I'd be sure to check out the Science Center (free), the Zoo (also awesome and free), as well as the City Museum.
The Zoo was on to do list even though I'm not a big fan of the Zoo. We've heard nothing but good things about it. Will be sure to research on the other places and check out that link. Thanks!

Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,605,950 times
Nah the airport is only 20 minutes from downtown, a little less from Forest Park.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:56 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,439,331 times
I'm doing the same thing, travelling there for spring break. They have deals on websites where they give deeply discounted hotel rates, but hide the name of the hotel until after you book and require that you pay in full ahead of time. I went with one that was in the general area of downtown St. Louis and ended up with a nice place in a good location for only $57 per night.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:51 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,591,826 times
Quote:
If he's seeking fun and excitement I don't think staying by the airport would be that great.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,253,372 times
Quote:
Priceline and Hotwire will keep you away from the dumpy airport hotels, amny of which will charge you $10/day parking.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:44 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,685,846 times
I've never found prices that low on downtown hotels through Priceline--not that I've tried on more than a few occassions. You also need to factor in parking there. If you can, go for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis