Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,825 times

Advertisements

Congratulations on your upcoming move. Both Demun and Ames Place are great options, and you will find a lot of people affiliated with Wash U in both neighborhoods. Both also offer at least some walkable options, which is rare in St. Louis.

I have lived in Demun for over 12 years absolutely love it. I'm also a real estate agent so if you'd like to look at options when you're in town I'd be happy to show you the types of properties that are out there. Even though it's premature, it might be good to look so when you do decide to look more seriously you'll know what to expect. Feel free to e-mail me at dabrams@lauramccarthy.com if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,760 times
I own a condo at DeBaliver and Lindell...two blocks fromthe metro stop. It is for my daughter who is a WUSTL law student...she will be leaving in summer of 2012...so timing could be perfect for both of us. I bought here because close to shuttle...her balcony has a view of the History Museum in the park.... a new unit when we bought it...one bedroom.....may be too smalll for you...but a great area. May be interested in a sale or lease. Let me know by returen post

Old 05-18-2011, 07:15 AM

3 posts, read 4,568 times
Default more areas?

I am in a similar position as the original poster. I am moving to St. Louis in a couple months to start a job at WashU as an assistant professor. The difference is that I would like to rent for a couple years. I would rather rent a home, townhome, or half a duplex than an apartment, and I don't want to be on a block dominated by students. I have seen many duplexes for rent on Amherst, Tulane, and Dartmouth, near Heman Park. I am also looking at a single-family home further north and west, just south of the Jewish cemetery that borders Olive. Does anyone have thoughts on the character and safety of these areas?

Old 05-18-2011, 10:54 AM

321 posts, read 1,003,851 times
I've know Wash U folks who have lived in the duplexes on Amherst/Tulane and the only "students" you will find there are the older graduate students (often the married ones), along with postdocs and some university faculty and staff. That is not a rental area where many undergraduates choose to live but it is a very safe and picturesque area. You definitely do not have to worry about the "rowdy college student" atmosphere there. I am not as familiar with the area as you go further north past U City High School to the cemetery. I remember long ago we actually considered buying a home just north of the High School but that was over 20 years ago so I have no idea what that area is like these days. Have you considered looking south of the Danforth campus such as in the DeMun area? I know a lot of young faculty and staff rent there (and not so many undergraduates). Unfortunately, I no longer qualify to be considered "young" faculty or staff!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:24 AM

3 posts, read 4,568 times
Thanks so much, Wustu87. I am looking at Demun, as well. I would prefer a duplex over an apartment building because I want to have access to a small outdoor area. It seems there are more duplexes in University City than in Demun, but I am looking at one place in Demun. I am very glad to hear that you like the Amherst/Tulane area -- that seems like a great option.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:39 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times
If you like Demun neighborhood of Clayton then you would also really like the Moorlands. I'd suggest looking there too. Pretty poplular with WashU faculty and grad students.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:17 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
I LOVE Demun and Moorlands, beautiful housing, great location

Old 12-27-2011, 03:35 PM

4 posts, read 10,195 times
I own a 2-family in U. City - about a 20 minute walk to Wash.U., you can walk to the Loop and you are close to Clayton and about 10-15 minutes from Central West End - I live in the building on the 2nd floor - the 1st floor is 1250S.F. - 2bed - 1bath - new high efficiency furnace and a/c - new windows - ceiling fans/hardwood floors/dishwasher/washer-dryer in basement/storage in basement/small deck on back/street parking - rent is $925 - separate utilities (heat/a-c/split the water bill) - unit very nice/quiet - will be available June 1 - I am looking for a minimum of a year lease - Thx - jane - 314-723-6170- jstein7444@sbcglobal.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis