Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:07 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times

Advertisements

Really? I think St. Louis is backwards. Our ancestors fought for the idea that government isn't capable of micromanaging a lemonade stand, much less a country. And St. Louis always has some new "progressive" ideas, none of which are new at all. In fact, they're older than the ideas of any republic. Don't tell me the rest of Missouri is backwards, we mind our own business and expect others to mind their own. That's not to say we aren't friendly, but there definitely is a balance.

Take your city, and even your county, hell take all the counties around you to Illinois and see how well you fare in such a "progressive" state where the only time politicians are generous are when they're spending other people's money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 12:03 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
States that lean too far one way or the other rarely do well -- I like that Missouri has always been relatively balanced. And while some of the recent actions by the legislature are beyond disturbing I'd just remind everyone that state legislatures turn fast with the tides of the current poliyical climate and this too shall pass.

Just keep the pressure up on your elected officials to play hardball whenever possible and hope that we can keep the worst bills from passing -- having Nixon as governor surely must be at least a bit of a relief to the progressives among us.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:28 PM

80 posts, read 222,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
-- having Nixon as governor surely must be at least a bit of a relief to the progressives among us.
Not at all. Democrat does not equal progressive.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:37 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
After the secession to Illinois, maybe Rod Blagojevich will run for mayor...

St. Louis is better off in Missouri.
If Rod Blagojevich ran for mayor, he would absolutely win! Look at Rahm Emanuel in Chicago.

At least there's the Belleville News Democrat. After 24 years in my present location, call me "backwards" all you want--my ideological transmission is fully in reverse! (Why would D-P go back to Huntington Beach and not up to the Bay Area instead? No one would confuse Sebastopol or Bolinas with a place like Kimberling City, MO. But I hope he's found happiness down there.)

Old 03-09-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Aviator View Post
Not at all. Democrat does not equal progressive.

Well I'm a progressive and I find his presence mollifying. I think most would be thankful the gubernatorial election was held in 2008 not 2010.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:31 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
I'm pretty much a libertarian but Nixon doesn't bother me too much for a democrat. He's not progressive by any means in my opinion.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:38 AM

But he's not regressive. That's my point.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I'm pretty much a libertarian but Nixon doesn't bother me too much for a democrat. He's not progressive by any means in my opinion.
Jay seems to be keeping a very low profile these days. Nothing too controversial. I'm sure that's calculated to help his reelection chances.

And as difficult as Missouri's budget issues might be, he's lucky they are nowhere near as bad as at least one of our more "progressive" neighbors, Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis