Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 01:53 AM

6 posts, read 9,393 times

Advertisements

i think Oakland, Ca is vastly underrated and misunderstood. Yeah theres the hood and the violence blah blah blah but its so much more than that. Great food, amazing people, and actually really beautiful (if you go to the right places aka the hills). Also a lot of national parks believe it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 02:15 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,868,484 times
As somebody who has lived in 3 countries, explored dozens of countries between the Americas, Europe, Asia and Africa...

I can honestly say that St. Louis is my favorite place in the world. I can't wait to move back. It isn't my official home, but I felt more at home there than any place I've ever been.

Love it. It's totally underrated. There's the best and worst of everything in St. Louis which comes together to make a truly eclectic, incredible, beautiful place.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:18 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,942 times
If not THE most underrated, it's certainly one of them. All of my friends who have come to visit me here end up being blown away. People just don't know.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:09 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
As somebody who has lived in 3 countries, explored dozens of countries between the Americas, Europe, Asia and Africa...

I can honestly say that St. Louis is my favorite place in the world. I can't wait to move back. It isn't my official home, but I felt more at home there than any place I've ever been.

Love it. It's totally underrated. There's the best and worst of everything in St. Louis which comes together to make a truly eclectic, incredible, beautiful place.
That's awesome praise! How did you end up in St. Louis initially? Where is your hometown?

Old 03-25-2012, 11:33 PM

410 posts, read 634,682 times
Agreed, STL is the most underrated city in the US. I have been completely blown away by the city and it has surpassed my expectations the multiple times I have been there.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:49 AM

26 posts, read 48,438 times
When the St. Louis crime rate is higher than that of Detriot, it has good enough reason to be underrated! St. Louis has a notorious reputation for being a very hostile place. Also, St. Louis could improve it's image somewhat if it got busy and cleaned itself up, got ride of the slums, and get rid of that provincial non-friendly attitude they have been sporting for the greater part of a century.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:32 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kye154 View Post
When the St. Louis crime rate is higher than that of Detriot, it has good enough reason to be underrated! St. Louis has a notorious reputation for being a very hostile place. Also, St. Louis could improve it's image somewhat if it got busy and cleaned itself up, got ride of the slums, and get rid of that provincial non-friendly attitude they have been sporting for the greater part of a century.
Really? I've found St. Louisans to be extremely friendly and I'm from the South. I know friendly. I would hardly call a reputation for hostility "notorious."

Old 03-26-2012, 03:40 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,733 times
For the record, I agree completely that STL is underrated, but what follows below gets under my skin...not hhillstl, just that stlworldclasscity would post an assertion that I though was really cool...only to find out it was complete BS. Follow below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhillstl View Post
Actually, I think it was the LA Times that recently called St Louis the most under-rated urban destination IN THE WORLD. So yes, I think it's safe to say we are under-rated. And like some other posters, part of me likes it that way.
I saw the same statement made on the STL booster page, so I I went looking for that article, and what I found was extremely disappointing. This STL booster web site says the following here: Where Does Saint Louis Rank?

Saint Louis Region Named One of the Most Underrated Destinations of the World, Los Angeles Times, 2009

Saint Louis Region Has the Best Value of any Urban Destination Anywhere, Los Angeles Times, 2009

I was hoping to find a glowing review in the travel section. What I found was a reader write-in of underrated places around the world here:

Underrated destinations recommended by Times readers - Page 5 - latimes.com

Underrated Destinations Recommended by Times Readers

St. Louis

Although St. Louis is a medium-sized Midwestern city, it contains the cultural attractions of a large European city, most free of charge.
St. Louis Art Museum, Forest Park, Saint Louis Zoo, Missouri Botanical Garden and the Cathedral Basilica are all major and impressive venues. Not to mention Anheuser-Busch Brewery and the Arch. Lodging and food in the city are fair-priced, and nearly all parking is free, even at major venues. St. Louis has the best value of any urban destination anywhere.

-- Casey Coryell, Atlanta

Talk about a bush league citation. stlworldclasscity needs to post something reputable. Casey Coryell from Atlanta says St. Louis is underrated destination and offers the best value of any urban destination. Wow. That's it? If the LA Times had a reader write in about underrated food, my 2-year old daughter could get a blurb saying "carrots are the best food in the world". Then the National Carrot Growers Association could say the LA Times says carrots are the best food in the world. Misleading at best, unethical at worst.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 AM

150 posts, read 244,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
For the record, I agree completely that STL is underrated, but what follows below gets under my skin...not hhillstl, just that stlworldclasscity would post an assertion that I though was really cool...only to find out it was complete BS. Follow below...

I saw the same statement made on the STL booster page, so I I went looking for that article, and what I found was extremely disappointing. This STL booster web site says the following here: Where Does Saint Louis Rank?

Saint Louis Region Named One of the Most Underrated Destinations of the World, Los Angeles Times, 2009

Saint Louis Region Has the Best Value of any Urban Destination Anywhere, Los Angeles Times, 2009

I was hoping to find a glowing review in the travel section. What I found was a reader write-in of underrated places around the world here:

Underrated destinations recommended by Times readers - Page 5 - latimes.com

Underrated Destinations Recommended by Times Readers

St. Louis

Although St. Louis is a medium-sized Midwestern city, it contains the cultural attractions of a large European city, most free of charge.
St. Louis Art Museum, Forest Park, Saint Louis Zoo, Missouri Botanical Garden and the Cathedral Basilica are all major and impressive venues. Not to mention Anheuser-Busch Brewery and the Arch. Lodging and food in the city are fair-priced, and nearly all parking is free, even at major venues. St. Louis has the best value of any urban destination anywhere.

-- Casey Coryell, Atlanta

Talk about a bush league citation. stlworldclasscity needs to post something reputable. Casey Coryell from Atlanta says St. Louis is underrated destination and offers the best value of any urban destination. Wow. That's it? If the LA Times had a reader write in about underrated food, my 2-year old daughter could get a blurb saying "carrots are the best food in the world". Then the National Carrot Growers Association could say the LA Times says carrots are the best food in the world. Misleading at best, unethical at worst.

If any has read through that website with a little thought it shouldn't surprise them one bit.

This part is classic:

"I have more than four decades of experience in higher education and I can assure you of this - if Morgan Quitno were in a basic college statistics class they would fail the course miserably! There is no doubt about that!

Years ago, I learned this truism - statistics are for liars and damn liars! Simply stated, any statistical data in the hands of someone intent on misusing them are very dangerous tools. And those who share misguided and misrepresented data with the public in the name of profit should be ashamed of themselves. And frankly, shame on the media outlets that publish this garbage!"

And yet he lists numerous positive "rankings" about St. Louis without any question of how they were formed or validity. But since they're positive and reinforce his bias, they must be true. Without question. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:22 AM

266 posts, read 464,472 times
I think it's rated about right. It's a cultured city with a lot of entertainment but lacks too many things to be compared to any city in California, or Chicago, Miami, and east coast cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis