Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:02 AM

156 posts, read 288,548 times

Advertisements

^ Yeah that's why it's just better to just go visit the areas and get a feel for it yourself because you can't be certain of what you're going to get from one block to the next. Before moving to south city I had to drive around for a few weeks to look for that perfect place that fit me and my daughter, which is what I hope the OP will do. Outside of that one incident, I have been over this way for almost seven years and I there's not a thing I would change about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 11:26 AM

4,363 posts, read 4,558,321 times
The South Side neighborhoods I've lived in are: Southwest Garden, Tower Grove South (both in Grand-Oak Hill and the MoFo area), Tower Grove East, Shaw, and Northhampton. (I still live in Kingshighway Hills.)
And I worked on The Hill, and in Cheltenham (which isn't really South Side I guess.)
All of them are good neighborhoods, each unique, and with plenty of amenities to offer.
Obviously, I enjoy living close to Tower Grove Park and the Botanical Gardens, which are true city treasures.
Incidentally, I lived on a state street on the South Side for many years, and I loved it. The only reason I moved was that I needed more room.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:59 PM

73 posts, read 273,987 times
Thanks! This all really helps! I definitely have some exploring to do!

Old 08-08-2011, 10:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
In my opinion as far as areas to avoid living in (but are totally fine to hang out in) I would say the Gravois Park and parts of the Dutchtown neighborhood fit that bill. I hate to say it because I really do like those neighborhoods but I think they have too much crime for comfort.

I've seen several mentions about parts of Dutchtown that are unsafe. Can anyone specify which parts of the neighborhood are unsafe? In particular, how about the area along Meramac, west of Grand?

Old 08-08-2011, 10:32 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,870,771 times
^Not so good

Old 08-09-2011, 04:36 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,885,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes1 View Post
I've seen several mentions about parts of Dutchtown that are unsafe. Can anyone specify which parts of the neighborhood are unsafe? In particular, how about the area along Meramac, west of Grand?
West of Grand is better than east of Grand, but I'd lean towards nay in the specific area you mention. I would say your best bet in Dutchtown is west of Grand and closer to Bates. That borders Holly Hills, which is a very safe neighborhood.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,609,042 times
I mentioned in another thread recently that I had a friend who lived near Amberg Park, and it wasn't too bad of an area. Certainly a bit gritty, but I was never intimidated. Most of his neighbors were old timers and there was this little dive bar down the street that we'd walk to. Depends on your tolerance for urban living -- definitely just spend some time in the area at all times of day and see how you feel.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,137 times
thanks for the responses about Dutchtown!

I'm new to town... moving here for the short term and needed something cheap. I think I found a place on Bellerive, on the east side of I-55... a block down from Bellerive Park. Seems like a decent spot. It's a shame how I-55 has completely cut the neighborhood in half though.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:12 PM

171 posts, read 445,015 times
I'm so glad someone started--and apparently revived--this thread!! I am also moving to Saint Louis (Dec) provided I can find housing ($450/mo for efficiency/studio/1 bed) and in the last month or so since I've been looking up the addresses, 95% of the listings I've found in my budget have been in:
Dutchtown
Tower Grove South (south of Arsenal)
Tower Grove East (south of Arsenal)
Mount Pleasant
Gravois Park
Carondelet (north of Bates)
Benton Park West
Benton Park
...pretty much in that order (most-least) with a HUGE chunk of them being right around the Gravois and Chippewa intersection.

i'll be back in the city Oct 5-10, possibly Sept 2-7, and possibly Nov 22-28 to check out these parts of town on foot. All the insight I've gotten along the way (plus Google Streetview, lol) has definitely been helpful, so thanks!

Old 08-10-2011, 06:42 AM

136 posts, read 264,995 times
I'll tell you what I think about these neighborhoods, but this is just my opinion on these neighborhoods.

Dutchtown - definetly stay away from the northern part of Dutchtown bounded by grand, chippewa, meramec, and broadway.

TGS - anything north of Utah is perfectly fine, but south of Utah will become hit and miss.

TGE - The closer you can stay to Arsenal the better off you'll be.

Mt. Pleasant - IMO is slowly becoming a section 8 neighborhood which is a crying shame.

Gravois Park - Just don't live here unless you have a high urban tolerance as there is a lot of crime is this neighborhood.

Carondelet - North of Bates is hit and miss.

Benton Park West - Is also hit and miss, but closer you are to cherokee and jefferson the better off.

Benton Park - I've personally lived here for the last two years (south of arsenal) and I've not had a single problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis