U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:24 PM

5 posts, read 8,214 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My roommate and I will be moving to St. Louis in August (from North Carolina) and we are totally at a loss at where to begin apartment hunting! We will be commuting to Edwardsville, IL for school but want to live in St. Louis to enjoy a city atmosphere. Our budget for a 2 bedroom/2 bath is no more than 1,000. We want something that puts us preferably on the side closet to Illinois to keep our commute to a minimum

Which neighborhoods are affordable, and good for 20 somethings? Also SAFETY is very important.

Any advice or input at all is greatly appreciate!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 PM

264 posts, read 659,946 times
Downtown west/loft district would be the best bet and the reverse commute to IL would help but I really don't think you'd find a 2BR for less than $1200 - $1400 atleast.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:22 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,647,886 times
You might be able to find something in Soulard or close by. That price range/bed room requirement does kinda exclude a lot of the better city neighborhoods.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:31 AM

I take that back, kind of. I just perused the STL craigslist and found some pretty decent units. The 2 baths might be the more difficult challange but you should find 2 bedrooms no problem. I do think you might be priced out of the downtown loft district though.

I'd focus your search on Tower Grove/Shaw and Soulard. Also, you might be able to find a good house rental in the really safe parts of south city. I know my aunt and uncle rent out several houses in the Lindenwood Park neighborhood for less than 1000. It's a great area but doesn't quite match the "city" vibe of the neighborhoods I mentioned.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:08 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm going to continue the search! I'm also looking for jobs, so any advice on that is greatly appreciated! I'm going to start with all the hospitals. I currently work one on one with special needs individuals but can't find hardly any job postings for that type of job. It might be a state to state difference, (coming from NC) as this is a state run program.

Also, got any pros and cons about living in St. Louis? Do's and don'ts? Moving from the south, it'll probably be a bit of change So excited though!!!!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:36 AM

12,063 posts, read 29,804,247 times
The suggestions for Soulard and Tower Grove are good. There are great neighborhoods farther west as well, such as Central West End or even Dogtown, but they'll begin to up that commute time to Edwardsville. I think $1000 is a little low for a 2/2. If you can compromise with a 2 bedroom 1 bath you'll have a far easier time. Pretty much all of the neighborhoods you'll be looking at will have vintage apartments built anywhere from 80 - 120 years ago, so there just weren't a lot of 2 bathroom apartments then.

With $1,000 there are also a lot of city neighborhoods in which you could rent a single family house, though the neighborhoods will likely be somewhat lower density and less walkable.

Definitely check out Craigslist. Sometimes you'll see landlords fudge the boundaries of a neighborhood, so it's good to check out the boundaries of the neighborhood. Here's a great Web site for that: Neighborhoods of the City of St. Louis.

www.RedBrickSTL.com always has a lot of great apartments on their site!

I also like to put the address of a potential apartment into google maps and search for restaurants nearby. A truly walkable neighborhood will have 10 or more within a half mile walk, and we have several neighborhoods like that in St. Louis.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:52 AM

Pros: Inexpensive, Amazing housing stock, amazing parks, down to Earth populace, great sports town, a ton of restaurants of all sorts to choose from, tree lines streets, toasted raviloli, great cultural institutions, increasingly bike friendly, all 4 seasons, metrolink, great universities, great health care, sense of urban renewal

Cons: Too many negative people, not close to the ocean or mountains, some real bad parts of town (easily avoided), and I wish more St. Louisans prefered urban living versus suburban but oh well.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 29,804,247 times
^Nice summation! I heartily agree, but I'll also say there's this amazing sense of civic pride here -- at least from most people. I saw it in Chicago but I see very little from KC in that regard.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 AM

You're right about the civic pride thing. The negative people aren't really as numerous as it can appear sometimes. And even people who are generally bearish on the future of the area strongly identify with many of our institutions like the Cards, A-B, the Hill, Forest Park, the Arch, Fox, etc....

And it's never obnoxious either like it can be with some places (*cough Texas)

Old 04-12-2011, 02:18 PM

Thanks everyone! I've found a few apartments in downtown area, (I think) that we are going to fly up and check out. Is downtown on the side of St. Louis towards Edwardsville? We want as short of a commute as possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: