U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 2,727 times

Advertisements

Alright, so I'm getting pretty desperate here. I've browsed through the threads here many times and found many excellent tips and advice about living in St. Louis, so I'm hoping some of you might be able to share your wisdom

I'm a 22 female, fresh out of college, and moved to STL last summer for a job. I'm originally from KC, but am willing to admit I LOVE everything about the Lou (especially how much free stuff there is going on all the time!) The only problem? 9ish months, and I still really haven't made any friends. I've taken every piece of advice I can get and hit dead ends so far.

Everyone I work with is 50+, mostly men, so no help there. I decided to try grad school classes at Wash U, but again, everyone is at least 15-20 years older than me. I've joined a women's volunteer organization, which is great, but typical member is married with little ones running around.

So...does anyone have any advice on where I can find young people in this city to make friends with?? My boyfriend and I are getting sick of going out with just each other all the time! I'm in the Clayton area right now, but looking to move to South City very soon - will that help any? Any good local bars/restaurants where people are friendly??

Any help is appreciated! I had no idea being a transplant would be so difficult!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 10:52 PM

156 posts, read 251,436 times
Have you tried meetup.com? They have alot of groups you can browse; I have met a few people through a volunteer group I joined on there. They also have quite a few groups strictly for women. I saw one in particular that may benefit you since you are thinking about moving to the South City area:

South City Girls Meetup (Saint Louis, MO) - Meetup

Not sure about the age range but there are over 300 members. You can also suggest meetups if you decide to join the group. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2011, 02:08 AM

264 posts, read 619,889 times
The best places to meet like minded people and make friends are at spots you frequently go to, like gyms, sports leagues, book clubs (eww..!!) etc.

Clayton is actually my favorite place to grab a drink or watch a soccer game on weekends. I like it much more than any place in south city but if you like to go to a bar to meet younger folk, any place in central west end might be a great idea since most people there tend to be wash U grad students/medical school staff.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:12 AM

12,064 posts, read 28,338,113 times
It really can be hard to be a transplant! When my SO lived in Chicago we actually had a tough time making friends too! It was easy enough to meet people, but finding folks with whom you have enough in common that you want to be friends was harder than we thought it would be.

A couple of options I highly suggest:

1. See if your (or your BF's) college has an alumni association here. The Mizzou one in Chicago would have watch parties and get togethers and was a great way to meet people you had at least a little something in common with.

2. Join a social sport league. Here's St. Louis Sport & Social's Web site: St. Louis' Best Coed Sports League- St. Louis Sports & Social Club (STLSSC) They offer co-ed kickball, sand volleyball, flag football etc. And I'll tell you from experience they usually end with drinks at a local watering hole post game.

3. I actually met a group of 4 folks from the Chicago City-Data forum. Actually still consider ourselves friends with one of them and we keep up with one another on Facebook. We just picked a local bar and created a thread about it and DM'ed the location to anyone who didn't seem creepy or brand new on the forum.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:59 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,084,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
1. See if your (or your BF's) college has an alumni association here. The Mizzou one in Chicago would have watch parties and get togethers and was a great way to meet people you had at least a little something in common with.
I always highly recommend alumni associations--while I went to college here, my fiance moved here knowing nobody in St Louis, and now has lots of very good friends and professional contacts through his university's alumni club.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:12 PM

1,520 posts, read 3,174,949 times
Not gonna lie, I don't look to make friends with people I meet at bars. I'm usually there to socialize with my friends.

Most of my friends are

Friends of friends
Coworkers
Friends of Coworkers
neighbors

Old 04-12-2011, 10:37 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,425,296 times
Hi Ringler, it can definitely be hard expanding your social circle in the traditional avenues. Like Moorlander said, it's hard to expand your social circle going out to bars because most people want to socialize in their group (unless it's a singles type place) or maybe just do some casual chit chat with others. That said, I do think there are several bars where people are more open and comfortable with befriending complete strangers. In my experience, it's been south city bars like the Handlebar, Royale, Tin Can, Tower Pub, Silver Ballroom, Southtown Pub etc...that are more like that. These places tend to attract the professional crowd and hipster crowd so it's a fun dynamic. Everybody is usually very friendly and down to Earth.

I can somewhat relate to your situation although I'm from here. I don't really hang out with a lot of old friends from high school nor have much in common with most of them. Although we're not really into it anymore we did make some new friends going to Yelp events last year. That's a great avenue if you're into dining out but they also organize some really fun non-food related events.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:54 AM

116 posts, read 177,429 times
Fuel for the City is a great group that does positive things for the City and hosts FUN events. You can also meet people at their happy hours. It is like a networking group that usually lends its people out to fun events around town. I do not believe they have any political agenda or religious affiliation. Just Pro-St. Louis and helping at social and civil events Check it out...

www.fuelforthecity.org/home

Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 AM

116 posts, read 177,429 times
PS- You can also join kick-ball teams, other sporting clubs, yoga type groups etc...etc.. Just join clubs, groups or organizations that share your interests. If you are religious, churches have social groups as well. So many ways. I agree though, work and neighbors usually lead to friendships. Maybe some of those old co-workers have kids your age you can hang with. Never know.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:50 AM

1,520 posts, read 3,174,949 times
Have you been to parties in the park, parties at the park, or parties on the plaza? Those are big social events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis