Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 02:30 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times

Advertisements

WTF mate?

I guess the Loop is having some teen troubles ... So the police are stepping up enforcement. Some don't think that's good enough though!

Quote:
Some Loop diners and business owners wondered if closing the Loop's MetroLink station early on Fridays and Saturdays would help.

"I would think taking away (teens) means of getting here would go a long way to solving the problem," said Pat Woodling, 22, of south St. Louis County, who was having lunch at Ranoush restaurant.
St. Louis, U. City officials promise crackdown on unruly youths in the Loop

Obviously, never gonna happen. It's just the unbearable stupidity of some people that frightens me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 02:38 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
Yeah because I'm sure none of these unruly teens have cars, can walk, ride a bike, or take the bus.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:41 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,365 times
hahah! I love how they quoted someone from south county. Like Pat has ANY knowledge of how these kids are getting there. You can't close the metrolinks stop, too many people depend on it. Not gonna happen.

It's nice out and teens like to gather together. They can't go to the malls any more so now they're hitting up the Loop. A couple weeks of increased police presence and this all goes away. And they'll move on to another spot. They have the same issues in every major city.

Lots of discussion on this very topic going on over on nextstl.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:44 PM

414 posts, read 884,622 times
Gee, just get some elderly community organization to have meetings let out around the same time. Give em some canes and watch those sticks wave in the air as they suck the teenage fun right out of the place. :P

Now, get off my lawn.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:58 PM

264 posts, read 700,368 times
The teens aren't as much trouble as the idiot that fired gun shots in the air from Popeye's on the loop.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:13 PM

51 posts, read 121,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMonk View Post
Gee, just get some elderly community organization to have meetings let out around the same time. Give em some canes and watch those sticks wave in the air as they suck the teenage fun right out of the place. :P

Now, get off my lawn.
Along the same lines, I remember reading a while back that Boston had a similar problem with one of its subway stations. Apparently they decided to play Sousa marches and the like over the loudspeaker to deter the teens.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:38 PM

156 posts, read 288,680 times
Forward movement would be to find a positive outlet for the kids instead of herding them back and forth like cattle between U-City and St. Louis City limits. I was in the Loop last Friday, the day before that big fight happened, and I had never seen so many kids down there in my history of going there. But where do they expect these kids to go? The only option I see is for them to increase security for the sake of business owners and residents. In addition, parents need to teach their kids how to act like they have some sense out in public. I know they're young and it happens with every generation, but I'd be damned if I allow my daughter to prance around in the streets wearing short mini-skirts, stealing, fighting and acting a plum fool. Discipline has to start from within the living quarters and maybe it can help with their behavior outside of the home??

Old 04-13-2011, 08:16 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
Agree w/ Masey Jean on things starting at home, you've gotta learn values from somewhere. On the other hand, good luck not letting your daughter out of the house w/ the mini-skirt, hoop ear rings and gogo boots....you're only luck is if she's just not into that fashion, or she really really really thinks you'll kill her (and that probably doesn't deter them that much). Expect the "long" skirt she's wearing to be rolled 3 times so that it's suddenly sitting 4 inches above the knee.

As to the kid concerns in the Loop, i can remember going to the loop several times on the motorcycles last summer. It seemed common that the place was just littered with large groups of teenage kids, just roaming from place to place and most likely not spending any money. I'd agree that things are typically much more enjoyable without a bunch of teens hanging around, being loud, and getting into fights but when you get large gatherings of youth together in one spot that's exactly what's going to happen, despite police presence or anything else....

Also, cops aren't always the answer...It was one of the things that put a nail into Northwest Plaza.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:59 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,562,454 times
The problems with teens in the Loop can be controlled with a strict curfew and a stronger presence of police and security. After all, under-age kids don't belong running around the Loop after 10:00 at night. Most all of the shops are closed by then, and what's open are basically establishments that serve alcohol.
Put simply, the kids need to be run out of the Loop after a certain time of the night. To quote a line from the song "Closing Time": "You don't have to go home but you can't stay here."

Old 04-14-2011, 07:16 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
^Now they're talking about a 6 pm. curfew. I think I agree with you that curfews are probably the way to go, but doesn't that seem excessive? What are 15-year-old kids supposed to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis