Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:32 PM

264 posts, read 700,134 times

Advertisements

Its kind of not tough to get if you are an American citizen, atleast the first few stages are pretty easy with no more than a background investigation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 03:02 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis99 View Post
but I doubt I would qualify.
Uh oh, what'd you do!?

Old 06-06-2011, 03:42 PM

165 posts, read 371,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Uh oh, what'd you do!?
Never been in trouble with the law, no substance abuse issues, not THAT crazy, but I did have a bankruptcy a few years ago due to a pile of medical bills. I had surgery (including hospital stay) twice without insurance when I was having some health problems. Surprisingly, my credit score is now in pretty good shape, and I don't owe a dime to anyone beyond student loans, but not sure how a bankruptcy would effect my ability to get a clearance.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:44 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
I really doubt filing bankruptcy would affect your ability to get a security clearance. In fact few things prevent someone from getting a basic one except a felony or patterns of misconduct.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:12 PM

165 posts, read 371,992 times
Yeah I honestly don't know that much about it. But have read that they look at your finances. I am sure they are most likely looking for people that would potentially sell secrets for money.

And this would be for a "secret" level clearance, which I believe is the second highest level.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis99 View Post
Yeah I honestly don't know that much about it. But have read that they look at your finances. I am sure they are most likely looking for people that would potentially sell secrets for money.

And this would be for a "secret" level clearance, which I believe is the second highest level.
I've had friends who have gone through the process. Drugs, crime, and signs/history of mental instability are biggest things they look at. They do a credit check, look at high risk financial behaviors that might lead to bankruptcy in the future, but I'm not sure that medical expenses pushing you to bankruptcy in the past would put you out of the running. Gambling, conspicuous consumption, not adjusting your standard of living post divorce with alimony/child support going out the door, etc are much bigger red flags.

I'd give it a shot. You'll have the opportunity to explain the bankruptcy situation in an interview. I'd just bring some support showing just how bad the medical bill situation was in case it comes up. That can happen to anyone who isn't insured, and with a job there, you would have the insurance to prevent that from re-occurring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis