U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:34 PM

6 posts, read 11,739 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We would be re-locating to St Louis area end of Aug 2011from boston. My work will be in Chesterfield area. We are family of 4 with two boys 1 month & 2 1/2 yr old. I'm hoping there might be a couple of people out there who have lived in St. Louis and Boston area and could give me some feedback on the comparisons between the two cities.

I am mostly interested in the Cost of Living difference / state Taxes / real state/ Schools for kids / recreation. I'm being offered the same salary as I get paid in Boston. I've already checked on several cost of living comparision website but it's very inconsistant and i wanted to hear from some 1st hand experiance people.

Thanks in advance to everyone with their suggestions. As you can say I'm very confused whether to make the move or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 01:41 PM

12,063 posts, read 28,723,231 times
I haven't lived in Boston but I can tell you that St. Louis is significantly cheaper than Boston. Keeping the same salary would probably be like getting a 20-30% raise.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:59 PM

1,520 posts, read 3,225,866 times
Aragx6 is right, in general, and painting with a broad stroke. What part of Boston are you from? Chesterfield is a very larger, very desireable affluent suburb. If you want to start with real estate, you could tell us a little bit about your current home and we'll tell you what something similar might cost in Chesterfield. What type of area are you looking for and what is your budget and requirements?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the advices.... i live in an apartment in Boston... and that is one of the reason i am considering moving to St Louis for the same salary that i get here... I don't see myself affording a home in boston... I'll be working in Town and country area... my priority will be good school district and low crime area 3 bed 2 bath hse.... Please advice...

Old 06-13-2011, 09:37 AM

There are loads of suburbs right near your work that will fit what you're looking for. Town and Country itself is very nice, and also very expensive. There's Ladue, Clayton, Manchester, Des Peres, Kirkwood, Ballwin -- honestly you can't go wrong in that area.

If you share more about what your budget will be we could offer more tailored advice.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:40 AM

Also I wanted to add how great a place St. Louis is to be a kid. There are so many family-friendly activities (most of them free or cheap!) I can't even begin to name them all.

But check out:
The City Museum
The Magic House
The St. Louis Zoo
The Muny
The Science Center
Grant's Farm

Old 06-13-2011, 07:44 PM

658 posts, read 1,133,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalmuri123 View Post
Thanks for the advices.... i live in an apartment in Boston... and that is one of the reason i am considering moving to St Louis for the same salary that i get here... I don't see myself affording a home in boston... I'll be working in Town and country area... my priority will be good school district and low crime area 3 bed 2 bath hse.... Please advice...
Parkway is a GREAT school district (graduated two kids from it) and there are many houses on the market near your work that are affordable. IMO, "affordable" is $250,000 or less. What price range are you comfortable with? We can help you to find a general area.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:08 AM

Thanks everyone... this gives me a good idea... "inahandbasket", my price range is from $200 - $250K.... so you are right on the money.... one think i've noticed is that at St charles area you can get a newer and bigger house for the price... but do you think i should stay away from that area for any reason like school dist / crime, etc...

Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 AM

7,272 posts, read 5,790,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalmuri123 View Post
Thanks everyone... this gives me a good idea... "inahandbasket", my price range is from $200 - $250K.... so you are right on the money.... one think i've noticed is that at St charles area you can get a newer and bigger house for the price... but do you think i should stay away from that area for any reason like school dist / crime, etc...
You don't need to stay away from St. Charles County for crime or because of bad schools. There may be some of that in the older areas of St. Charles City, but not generally in St. Charles County. It is really a quality of life issue. St. Charles County has been growing fast for decades as people move out of the City of St. Louis and more recently census data shows people moving out of parts of St. Louis County. As far as I am aware, the schools in St. Charles County are generally quite good.

It becomes a personal issue of how far you will be from work (not that far, really, from Chesterfield), what type of community you want to live in, what type of housing stock you like, what you can afford, and how far you will be from the amenities the city core has to offer (museums, zoo, ballgames, etc.)

Many on this forum associate St. Charles County with "urban sprawl" so you will likely receive some negative feedback. You can find more for the money there but it might be an issue if and when you need to sell.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:57 AM

^Houses are selling just fine in St. Charles county. Assuming you intend to stay for a minimum of 5 years (which would be my suggestion no matter where you were looking to buy) you'll be fine.

St. Charles, St. Peters and O'Fallon are safe, desirable communities. What they lack are walkable community gathering spaces (though there are great parks).

I grew up there and wuldn't want to move back, but for families looking for that typical newer suburban experience, St. Charles offers a lot of value.

And the schools are pretty uniformly great. St. Charles is the least desirable of the three, but still solidly above average. Francis Howell has won many awards and their test scores compare well with any in the metro.

Feel free to ask any specific questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis