Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 04:37 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
One of the things the Kings did was add a few more costly pieces to their puzzle. The game has shifted back to defense and goaltending. The Blues and Kings had similar teams, but the Kings were significanty bigger and also had better playoff goaltending. New Blues ownership is an upgrade, a stabilizing force. However, let's cut to the chase and be blunt. The only person in the Blues new ownership with economic resources to play with big boys, is Andy Taylor. And, Taylor is well known for not being much of a sports person. No doubt the Blues can win a cup.

In terms of the NBA, so much of the discussion took place earlier in this thread. Phoenix for example, has been a financial disaster in the NHL, and the league has owned the team for years. More metros of comparable size don't have all 4 sports teams than do. The twin cities is a comparable sized market, and Denver is as well. Then you get into a discussion about the region and other factors etc..
I really think that all the Blues need is better offense at this point. And while Elliott was less than stellar, Halak was injured, and the Blues lost Pietrangelo, a key piece of their defense...and the Blues just stopped being the Blues. They took bad penalties, Elliott was left pretty much on his own as far as defense went. This, combined with the surging Kings, doomed them. But there's also the argument, and i think it's valid, that even at their best, the Blues couldn't have stopped the Kings. It was made painfully obvious afterwards that nobody could. The Kings massacred every opponent. And if all other things don't change, this Kings team could very well become the modern version of the late '90s, early '2000s Detroit Red Wings. I really wouldn't change anything about the Blues except for one or two people on the offense. Other than that, this was the best Blues team I've ever seen in my 17 years of following hockey. If we could get somebody capable of Alex Ovechkin's offense, or two people who can combine for those numbers, we'd be the perfect team. Jaden Schwarz or maybe the new Russian recruit would be helpful...if we could allocate our resources to a high-scoring veteran that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 09:15 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Denver also has a lot of tourism that I don't think St. Louis gets, which might be a reason they get a lot of other support. Not to mention, Denver has a lot of medium-sized areas close by to it...Fort Collins, Cheyenne, Colorado Springs...and lots of tourist destinations. I would be willing to bet a lot of Denver's sports population comes from all around Colorado. Without the Rocky Mountains, I doubt Denver would have four sports teams.

Denver and Phoenix are the only two cities similar in size to STL with teams in all four major sports (football, baseball, hockey, basketball). The only other cities as large as St. Louis which have three major sports teams are Cleveland and Pittsburgh. I'd be willing to bet that Denver and Phoenix's tourist industries fuel a lot of their sports teams. Not to mention, Phoenix and Denver are situated near several other cities...Tucson, Colorado Springs, etc.
There's also much less geographic competition and proximity in those places vs Stl.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:17 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I really think that all the Blues need is better offense at this point. And while Elliott was less than stellar, Halak was injured, and the Blues lost Pietrangelo, a key piece of their defense...and the Blues just stopped being the Blues. They took bad penalties, Elliott was left pretty much on his own as far as defense went. This, combined with the surging Kings, doomed them. But there's also the argument, and i think it's valid, that even at their best, the Blues couldn't have stopped the Kings. It was made painfully obvious afterwards that nobody could. The Kings massacred every opponent. And if all other things don't change, this Kings team could very well become the modern version of the late '90s, early '2000s Detroit Red Wings. I really wouldn't change anything about the Blues except for one or two people on the offense. Other than that, this was the best Blues team I've ever seen in my 17 years of following hockey. If we could get somebody capable of Alex Ovechkin's offense, or two people who can combine for those numbers, we'd be the perfect team. Jaden Schwarz or maybe the new Russian recruit would be helpful...if we could allocate our resources to a high-scoring veteran that would be great.

So, in short you are saying the Blue need to add some offense. We agree. That costs money, a few offensive pieces. Staying staus quo isn't imo going to get it done. Margin for error fr the Blues is small.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
Well since you asked...the other 3% are tall slow white guys who can't jump and get beat up on as practice dummies. They are lucky if they see the court during a real game once a month or so, so yeah...it is black dudes and no it isn't a race issue, at least for me it's not, you on the other hand, maybe it is.

It's not racist...it's an adverb!!!

Egads...now I have offended the tall slow white guys of the world!
You should just stop talking because even if you are white you are still being racist making an ignorant statement stereotyping all white people....by the way what you Said about white people is racist.... oh and "black" is not an adverb so don't pretend to Be smart if you're evidently not...black is an Adjective and adverbs cannot describe nouns Or pronouns. Only adjectives can describe nouns or pronouns...one More Thing is that trash talking was used a lot more back in the 70s 80s and 90s than now and i believe that the 90s were more showboaty with reggie miller (who also trash talked) And michael jordan as well as the beginning of allen iverson and kobe bryant and Steve nash

Old 06-16-2013, 05:29 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times
St. Louis Arches or St. Louis Arsenal could be good team names. Thoughts on those?

Old 06-18-2013, 06:37 AM

188 posts, read 372,619 times
I'll trade you the grizzlies for the Rams anyday if you want an nba team so bad. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis