Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:08 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
The Blues will most likely be better next year, considering how much youth they have. They also got the 4th overall pick this next draft.

But this is a baseball town. The Lauries stripped the Blues and sold them, so the fans were bitter for a while, and the lockout was hard on hockey as a whole.

The Blues average attendance in 2008 was 17k, and it holds 19,125 (I think) for hockey (more for basketball). That's not bad.
The Blues have always had a good following and good attendance. Their slides in attendance aren't as bad as many other places during the difficult few year period. Any "issues" with the Blues have to do with how much money Dave Checketts group actually has an can spend for those young prospects and free agents. There is some debate on that. There is no debate on fan support in the past. The Blues have always been well supported in St. Louis and there is a very passionate loyal fan base, though of course much much smaller than baseball.

St. Louis is a baseball town because of its past success and because of the power of KMOX radio signal reaching almost 50 states. And, consider that for some time, in the past, St. Louis was the most Western team in baseball. Fandom gets passed down from generation to generation and winning has helped as well. Legions of people travel from far outside the metro area each summer to support the Cardinals.

The Rams unfortuantely followed many years of no football and prior to that pooor teams much of the time. The Chiefs, Bears, Packers etc...have large Midwest followings. The Rams have a smaller potential market than some other more established franchises in similar geography.

The cheap dome was the only way St. Louis was going to get a team. It was just before the retractable roof period which is much better. If the team can fix up the dome, with better lighting, better sound, better game management, better product, better drafts, etc....they will continue their strong attendance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:09 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Plus football tickets are so much more expensive and the Rams suck so much. That couldn't have helped.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:33 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,396 times
It's too bad Mike Martz couldn't have kept it going in St. Louis, and that Lovie Smith left as well; the Ram's defense did quite well under him.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
It's too bad Mike Martz couldn't have kept it going in St. Louis, and that Lovie Smith left as well; the Ram's defense did quite well under him.
Lovie's defense is all about forcing turnovers. 2 years ago the Bears were leading the league in that Department, and not so much last year. And that small Bears defense that Lovie likes so much wears down at the point of attack. His defense relies heavily on turnovers. And as you'll recall the Rams forced many back then.

Lovie, was criticized for the inexplicable prevent defense at the end of the Super Bowl loss to New England. Tom Brady threw a few screen passes starting at his own 20 yard line and NE was in field goal range. It was unfortunate for a popular guy such as Lovie. But as everyone knows, had the Rams run the ball and blocked better, they wouldn't have needed to be in that situation against a far inferior team that season.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Plus football tickets are so much more expensive and the Rams suck so much. That couldn't have helped.
Actually, Rams tickets aren't as bad as baseball and hockey for the value imo. Unless you are wealthy, or unless you are buying the cheapest tix available, you have to consider buying 10 packs etc...for hockey and baseball and those types of things. Rams, you pay for 8 reg season and two pre-season games. That combined with the few amount of games on a season, will always make the games a somewhat affordable option compared to season tix to baseball or hockey.

I think the football support in St. Louis is tremendous, especially considering the already legions of fans of other places close and far away. Selling out for 12 straight years before finally having a non-sellout....with all those poor teams and drafts, with a handful of elite seasons.

The Rams have to improve the sound system, scoreboards, lighting(it's a dungeon in there), aesthetics, stop playing lite music from several generations ago to put people asleep at games) etc...it would be better if it was open air, then all the softies wouldn't come.

But more than anything, the Rams need defined roles in their organization. It's a mess. You need ONE General Manager, a football guy who has stong experience managing football decisions and ONE football personnel guy who reports to him with info for drafts, free agents and current team players. The coach gets input for requests, but the coach does not make personnell decisions and neither should Jay Zygmunt as he has for years.

The Rams have to stop overpaying aging free agents who can no longer play the game, Claiborne, Chavous, etc....and be much smarter, and also draft much better. Much better.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,662 times
I personall thin tht every state shud hv an nba nfl nhl and mlb team.i moved from denver n it has all 4 so y cudnt missouri it has almost the same pop. As colorado!

Old 11-14-2008, 07:25 PM

12 posts, read 41,962 times
No NBA but we do have the Billikens! Kill the racial crap guys, your ignorance is showing.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:53 AM

105 posts, read 309,468 times
I say no thanks to an NBA team. My loyalty is: (in order) Blues, Cardinals, Salukis, Rams. Pro hoops is just too boring. Every play is the same. Player A either shoots a 3 pointer of goes to the hoop. If he goes to the hoop, he either dunks it or is fouled. I just described every NBA game since MJ's first retirement. If the NBA players would pass, dribble (not travel), rebound and play defence like they used to, I would be interested in watching. Until then, I don't want another winter team that would take away dollars from the Blues.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:36 PM

100 posts, read 280,880 times
I just returned home after going to school in the St. Louis area for a couple years. Honestly, not very many of the locals seemed interested in basketball at all; the only city I've been to thus far where baseball reigned supreme and unchallenged. As for people knocking the NBA today, have you even tuned in recently? The league right after Michael Jordan retired did blow, and the lockout sure didn't help. But today's NBA is the best it's been in years; guys like Chris Paul and Lebron James are team players; even Kobe Bryant seems to have embraced that philosophy (at long last). I've heard rumors that the NBA could be moving to Kansas City or Vegas soon, but not sure if that's true or not.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:40 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,210 times
I (and I can still label my opinion as that of an outsider's view) feel that any football team that chooses to play inside a dome - will not generate the awesome following that non-dome teams generate in their respective cities. Why? Atmosphere. Dome football games cannot compare to outdoor football games. If the Rams played in an outdoor stadium, not only would it spice up downtown a little by looks and gameday noise ... but it would also promote a more excitable atmosphere. The only dome-team that comes close would be the Saints, and that is just because New Orleans is full of absolutely crazy people. But even at that, it is still no outdoor game. All that said, STL does need an NBA team though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis