U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 03:12 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 11,199,711 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving in the winter (early or late) and St. Louis is on my short list. I have done extensive research on the area before, so it's not completely foreign to me like some other cities I'm considering ... but I do have some questions.

It seems like my ideal city. Plenty urban with dense neighborhoods, a good light rail system, etc. I have seen several photo tours of the St. Louis area and really like what I see. Much more dense than Minneapolis, another city I am looking at. While both seem to be walkable, it seems like the city living that STL offers would suit me more. Housing, good shops, etc. in a urban neighborhood more like the ones you would find in NYC or Boston. On a smaller scale, of course.

I would be living without a car, and would be coming without a job initially. Would be looking for work in the service industry first, but I do have different career goals. St. Louis seems to have this in the dozens. Lower cost of living as well.

I don't even know if I have any questions, other than how is St. Louis for meeting people compared to other cities? I think I'm just looking for someone to comment on what I've already said, and provide me with knowledge on the area.

As I said, it just seems like a really good city if what I am looking for is urban living on a smaller scale. Cheap rent and fantastic neighborhoods. There is a St. Louis vs. Minneapolis thread on here I might want to check out.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 04:42 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,438,528 times
Hello! STL is very dense and a wonderful place to live. Many of my neighbors are from other states. They have met people by attending the neighborhood events. There are also groups for transplants, professionals, sports leagues, etc.
If you want to live in the city without a car, it can be done, but you need to live in the right areas. The best neighborhoods to live with access to light rail are: Downtown, Central West End (Sounds right up your alley), University City (The Loop), and Clayton. Other really awesome neighborhoods that aren't necessarily close to the rail, but you can ride the bus are: Soulard, Tower Grove South, Fox Park, Shaw, Lafayette Square, Southwest Gardens, The Hill, Dogtown.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:56 PM

Thanks! I'd like to correct how perfect I made St. Louis sound in my original post. I realize it has its share of problems, it just seems like a really good deal compared to some other cities. I really am impressed with the layout of some neighborhoods.

I was going to mention CWE. It does sound right up my alley. Thanks for mentioning the other places. I was primarily looking at areas with light rail access, but I would not be opposed to living in a good section where I could take the bus.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:50 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,154,870 times
I lived in St Louis without a car for about 5 years. I agree with stlcitygirl on the best areas with light rail access. By St Louis standards, Downtown, Clayton, and the CWE are some of the most expensive areas to live. I think DeBaliviere Place is probably the least expensive area in the city close to the MetroLink, if that matters to you--and life isn't too bad being surrounded by the CWE, University City, and Forest Park. Also, many of the neighborhoods mentioned that are served by buses are cheaper.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:56 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,389,396 times
Go with the CWE. I fell in love on my first visit It really does seem like something out of Boston or NYC (on a smaller scale, of course). And I imagine it'd be pretty easy to live there without a car. There's several grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. in the area that are very walkable. Have you checked walkscore.com? I suggest it for whatever neighborhood you're looking at.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:05 PM

3,360 posts, read 7,360,372 times
I'm sure you could live in St. Louis without a car...but there's significantly more to St. Louis that you're going to need a car to get to. If you plan on living in the urban center of the city, you should be pretty well set, and the metro rail will get you to some of the "hot" places you want to go. But it won't get you any further into the county than the airport, and the buses seem to be one vote away from closure recently.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,438,528 times
^Actually, if you live and work in the city, there is very little you need to venture out for.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:36 PM

Right, that isn't really a concern for me at this point. Thanks for all the neighborhood recommendations.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,660,591 times
Check out downtown. You can live without a car and has acres to metro and other bus routes. In addition a lot of everyday amenities are within walking distance. Other desirable neighborhoods are also close by

Old 06-23-2011, 06:17 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,660,591 times
In addition there are WE Car options downtown. Cars are parked in certain areas for use for anyone who subscribes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis