Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 02:25 PM

7 posts, read 16,751 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I will be reloctating to the STL area with husband and 3 yo daughter and would like to know if there are any walkable, safe, full of families with young children neighborhoods that exist in the area. If we bought, it would likely be in the 300-400K range and would hope to have a yard as well as all of the above. If we rent, not sure what range we would be looking for.

Would be commuting to a location near the airport, so would want try to stay within a 20 minute commute, but would consider longer if a great neighborhood...

If u have any suggestions, I would love to hear about them. Please feel free to be specific with streets or blocks within a town. Hope we r not asking for too much!!!!

Below r a few I think might have what we would want along with my concerns of each. If u have any thoughts on those feel free to add or correct me if wrong.

Clayton-may be 2 pricey & not walkable
University City-not sure how safe, walkable & family friendly
Webster Groves-may be 2 pricey
Central West End-not sure how safe & family-friendly
Kirkwood-not sure if walkable, really
Benton Park-not sure of safety & family friendly

Any input would be so greatly appreciated!
Thank you
Julia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 05:28 PM

787 posts, read 1,414,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb1212 View Post
Hello,
I will be reloctating to the STL area with husband and 3 yo daughter and would like to know if there are any walkable, safe, full of families with young children neighborhoods that exist in the area. If we bought, it would likely be in the 300-400K range and would hope to have a yard as well as all of the above. If we rent, not sure what range we would be looking for.

Would be commuting to a location near the airport, so would want try to stay within a 20 minute commute, but would consider longer if a great neighborhood...

If u have any suggestions, I would love to hear about them. Please feel free to be specific with streets or blocks within a town. Hope we r not asking for too much!!!!

Below r a few I think might have what we would want along with my concerns of each. If u have any thoughts on those feel free to add or correct me if wrong.

Any input would be so greatly appreciated!
Thank you
Julia
My family and I just moved into the University Park neighborhood in University City. WE. LOVE. IT.

There are lots of young families here. Across the street from us are two household, both with babies and toddlers. Our backyard neighbors is a family with three small boys (around 7, 5 and 3) and mom is about to give birth to #4. Very family friendly, very walkable, one mile west of The Loop, very safe. http://universityparksubdivision.com/

There are several beautiful houses on the market in University Park:
Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate

Check us out!

Old 05-21-2011, 06:35 PM

Thank you so much for that endorsement! We will DEFINITELY check it out.

Sounds like the type with kids out playing in their yards and with each other and that is what we want for our little one (and us)!!!
Julia

Old 05-21-2011, 11:41 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,207 times
Quote:
? How did you come to these conclusions?? Seems you're pretty off base. For example, when it comes to suburbs, Clayton is as walkable as any in the country. Kirkwood has a great downtown main street. It's a very large suburb so yeah some parts are very walkable while others are very secluded.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:07 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,012,857 times
Clayton is probably your most walkable neighborhood on there, Kirkwood would be nice too, and so would Webster. What i'd wonder more though, is just what you plan on walking to?

St. Louis is a very spread out city, and after you arrive you'll probably find that you can walk to many things directly around you, but often you'll also be driving to other attractions, friends, etc in other parts of town.

I think the University City area can be pretty walkable and family friendly as well. And would be well within your price range (depending on house size needs, etc). The loop has some excellent shopping, restaurants, and culture and from there you'll be very centrally located with options for more shopping, eating, parks, etc....All in all, it's a win win.

PS-

Walkability is nice, but the most important thing to me would be what i wanted to walk to. If i was hoping to walk to bars, that'd be important and understandable as it removes a vehicle from the drive home, same could be true for walking to dining. When it comes to grocers, i typically don't care to much to walk to them, because we're in the "we go once a week" mode with regards to the grocery store (this means, we're probably bringing home more groceries than we care to carry)...Same time, we have a small local grocer at the top of my street, which is fantastic for the "oh, didnt know we ran out of xxxx" run. Walking there is always an option, and on nice days with no rush it typically happens, but it's equally as nice to be able to hop in the car and drive up the block and be back within 2 minutes too

Old 05-22-2011, 04:52 PM

787 posts, read 1,414,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb1212 View Post
Thank you so much for that endorsement! We will DEFINITELY check it out.

Sounds like the type with kids out playing in their yards and with each other and that is what we want for our little one (and us)!!!
Julia
What are your requirements for school for your little one? The University City school district, so I've heard, is good at the elementary level but a lot of families end up sending their kids to private or parochial school for middle and high school.

Other posters may have more up to date information.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:07 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
I think U City is one of the best options for you. Inahandbasket is right that many people don't feel comfortable with the University City High School -- the city has some socioeconomic (mostly along racial lines) disparities that don't show up in the little neighborhood elementary schools but do once you're in the general matriculation high school. But that said, your kid is so young that you'll have years and years before you'd need to worry about that. Otherwise it's a great community and very walkable.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:20 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Walkability is nice, but the most important thing to me would be what i wanted to walk to. If i was hoping to walk to bars, that'd be important and understandable as it removes a vehicle from the drive home, same could be true for walking to dining. When it comes to grocers, i typically don't care to much to walk to them, because we're in the "we go once a week" mode with regards to the grocery store (this means, we're probably bringing home more groceries than we care to carry)...Same time, we have a small local grocer at the top of my street, which is fantastic for the "oh, didnt know we ran out of xxxx" run. Walking there is always an option, and on nice days with no rush it typically happens, but it's equally as nice to be able to hop in the car and drive up the block and be back within 2 minutes too
This is exactly why I love St. Louis -- it's the best of both worlds. Chicago is so amazingly walkable and I loved that, but at the same time it's expensive to own a car and half the time there's no where to park it. Kansas City feels like the opposite in some ways -- parking is easy (in fact, if you have to park more than a block away from anything here people flip out and complain that someone needs to build a parking garage) but the city -- even at its heart -- is significantly less walkable than St. Louis and everything is really spread out.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:13 PM

327 posts, read 968,365 times
I would have to disagree. I think the Brookside community in Kansas City is incredible for its walkability. Everything you need, grocery stores, drugstores, banks, cleaners, restaurants, shops - all within walking distance. You have the trolley trail for walking. Loose Park and the Plaza are close by for longer walks. A perfect little gem!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:50 PM

good to know about u. city high school. Will look into that matter.-thx in inahandbasket & aragx6

Also, aragx6 & inahandbasket-do you see kids playing in front yards/sidelwalks with each other & neighbors talking in the U. park neighborhood? Don't mean to sound crazy, but we have that now & would like that again for our daughter.

I would like to be able to walk to at least some amenities, restaurants and possibly public transportation (realize it is not for everyone), but also expect we will drive to things farther afield.

Appreciate all the input. V. helpful.
Julia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis