Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 01:09 PM

264 posts, read 698,196 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So a friend of my friend just got a 3 month contract at Verizon and its on 8000 W Florissant avenue.

Since he's coming into St Louis for the first time he has no car/apartment. I know its not the most desirable location to work at but any ideas on if he could use metrolink/live in a close by place that's not too dangerous?

I've never been to that side of the town and have no idea except that its close to UMSL and there's a metrolink stop over there. So other than getting a car, are there are any other viable alternatives for him?

I suggested finding a short term apartment/shared room close to a metrolink stop (downtown, CWE, Delmar etc) and take it from there but looks like (From google maps) he will have to take one bus atleast to get to his workplace from the UMSL metrolink.

Are the buses safe to ride over there? I don't want to lead him into a tough situation so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 09:10 PM

3,483 posts, read 8,970,827 times
That area isn't "Totally rough" But i wouldn't want to give you advice as to which street to live on and which ones to avoid. There are spots of Ferguson that are pretty nice, same is true about Northwoods and Bel-Nor. Jennings and Normady can be rough parts of town, and i'd avoid them, but even still without a car he's going to have to find a way through some of these areas just to get to work on a daily basis, and same for getting home from work...If he's working late nights, i wouldn't feel comfortable riding a couple miles home on a bicycle, or even waiting for a long time at a bus stop. Metro doesn't really get up there that close, and buses might be ok if he's got some street smarts.

Also note that West Florissant is a different road than Florissant Rd. Honestly, best bet is to check Ferguson. Past that, get a car or find a ride.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:04 PM

264 posts, read 698,196 times
Thanks man!

He's managed to find an apartment with a UMSL grad student around 3 miles from the workplace and within walking distance to the university.

I've noticed that Emerson has an office up there so I'm hoping that stretch of his bus commute might be a bit friendlier than the surroundings. I've read some not so good things about close by apartment complexes on apartmentratings.com but from past experience, some of those reviews are slightly exaggerated.

Hopefully it works out for the guy.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:05 AM

3,483 posts, read 8,970,827 times
Good to hear. I agree about apartment ratings, most of the folks who post something are the ones with a negative experience. The people who didn't have anything bad to say, typically don't say anything at all. Which doesn't help the results, but needs to be taken into account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis