Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 06:58 PM

326 posts, read 764,789 times

Advertisements

I've never been to St. Louis airport before. How do I get a taxi there? Are there some line up outside the luggage claim area, or do I have to call one and wait there?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 07:02 PM

Also, is it safe for a teenager girl (not me) to take a taxi by herself?

Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
They are lined up in the lower level parking garage outside where the baggage carousel are located, just like you thought.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:04 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls88 View Post
Also, is it safe for a teenager girl (not me) to take a taxi by herself?
I would say it depends upon if the young lady has an exact street address and what part of town she's going to. How much 'situational awareness' does she possess?

Old 08-20-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
They are lined up in the lower level parking garage outside where the baggage carousel are located, just like you thought.
Thank you very much!

Old 08-20-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
I would say it depends upon if the young lady has an exact street address and what part of town she's going to. How much 'situational awareness' does she possess?
She is going to Univ of Washington, and she knows the address, but I am not sure about how alert she is of "situational awareness". She told me St. Louis is as safe as Austin. If that is true, then it is great because Austin is pretty safe overall.

Thank you very much.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls88 View Post
She is going to Univ of Washington, and she knows the address, but I am not sure about how alert she is of "situational awareness". She told me St. Louis is as safe as Austin. If that is true, then it is great because Austin is pretty safe overall.

Thank you very much.
If you mean she's going to Washington University in St. Louis, she can just get on the Metrolink light rail. There are two stops, one on the west side and one on the east side of the Wash U campus.

Check this link out:
MetroLink Stations, St. Louis, MO - Google Maps

She can take Metrolink from the airport to the University City - Big Bend Station, that stop is closer to all of the WU dorms.

And since she's going to WU, she'll get a U-Pass which gives her free access to the Metrolink and buses.
UPass and WeCar (http://firstyear.wustl.edu/classof2015/arrival/Pages/UPassandWeCar.aspx - broken link)

Old 08-20-2011, 07:47 AM

Also - Washington University is in a very nice inner ring "suburb" of St. Louis city proper. Actually, the east border of campus is Skinker Boulevard which is just inside the city limits. Across Skinker is Forest Park, the gem of all of the parks in St. Louis city and county.

City of St. Louis: Forest Park

Old 08-20-2011, 08:32 AM

321 posts, read 1,003,851 times
Depending on how much luggage she is bringing, the trek from the Big Bend Metrolink station to the dorms could be a challenge, so I would recommend a taxi on "first arrival day" unless she is traveling lightly. All the taxi drivers there at the airport will know how to get her from the airport to the dorms at Wash U, and I would not be surprised if there was another Wash U student on her same flight catching a cab to campus at the same time. She should network on Facebook or on College Confidential to see if she can find someone else who will be on the same flight so they can share a ride together.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustu87 View Post
Depending on how much luggage she is bringing, the trek from the Big Bend Metrolink station to the dorms could be a challenge, so I would recommend a taxi on "first arrival day" unless she is traveling lightly. All the taxi drivers there at the airport will know how to get her from the airport to the dorms at Wash U, and I would not be surprised if there was another Wash U student on her same flight catching a cab to campus at the same time. She should network on Facebook or on College Confidential to see if she can find someone else who will be on the same flight so they can share a ride together.

Good points! Didn't think of all of the luggage... And we just got back from depositing the youngest at KCAI..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis