Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:40 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Chicagocubs, they are moving securities lending operations to STL from NY. I haven't heard anything about moving mortgage operations to STL.
I am not necessarily concerned about mtg ops...I just have friends in that area.

However, was not aware that there were (are) securities lending ops in NY....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
You don't really want to swim in the Mississippi, as much for it being dangerous as being dirty, but there are some recreational activities to do along the river. My favorite is, of course, drinking near it.

You could take the Grafton Ferry (http://www.graftonferry.com - broken link) over to the divey but fun Loading Dock

Or you can hit up one of MO's gorgeous wineries along the Missouri River in Augusta

Camping and flaoting are huge south of St. Louis. My favorite place has always been Huzzah Valley where you can camp right along the Courtois river (Missourians actually pronounce it as Court-a-way believe it or not), take a leisurely day float down the river and ride horses. Or if you prefer something a bit quieter in the same area, Missouri has some of the best state parks in the country.

Whether you want to be active or lazy, the gorgeous scenery outside St. Louis shoudl have what you're looking for. Unless you only enjoy skiiing. Then you're effed lol.

HILARIOUS!! You obviously have no way of knowing how much I despise mountains (and/or rolling hills)!! I am a Chicagoan, after all....love me some flat land....

Old 09-03-2011, 09:45 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I am not necessarily concerned about mtg ops...I just have friends in that area.

However, was not aware that there were (are) securities lending ops in NY....
Yes they lend securities to different banks and financial institutions when they are low in inventories or to cover short positions

Old 09-03-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Yes they lend securities to different banks and financial institutions when they are low in inventories or to cover short positions
aaaahhhhhhh!! Completely different form of lending than what I am familiar with. thanks!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:27 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
[/b]

HILARIOUS!! You obviously have no way of knowing how much I despise mountains (and/or rolling hills)!! I am a Chicagoan, after all....love me some flat land....
Yeah, Chicago makes flat places look hilly in comparison. Great city for biking in, but you really had to get a several hours' drive away from the city before the countryside became particularly picturesque.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:15 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
See I don't think completely flat land is very fun for biking. I always thought of St. Louis as not very hilly until I started biking a lot. The city has some excellent hills that are perfect for HIIT. My favorite for repeats was "The Hill" hill where you go North to South up Macklind or Sublette. Then it is rather hilly going either direction at various points between downtown and midtown - with very little traffic on Locust or Olive. I've been doing the Washington & Old Dominion Trail a lot and I find it kinda boring, like the Katy trail. As is typical for rails to trails, it is mostly flat and straight. Other than feeling the wind in my face, I may as well be in the gym on an excercise bike!

Old 09-08-2011, 11:23 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
I wouldn't worry about driving through East St Louis. I commute into downtown STL every day from IL. The drive through East St Louis is all on the highway, so you don't ever really see it. Mostly I take the Metrolink in and have had no problems. The trains are full of professional commuters.

I think the property taxes are higher in IL, but there is no personal property tax like in MO. Also, ironically, for the quality of schools/neighborhood we were looking for, the commute was shorter from IL.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:28 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
See I don't think completely flat land is very fun for biking. I always thought of St. Louis as not very hilly until I started biking a lot. The city has some excellent hills that are perfect for HIIT. My favorite for repeats was "The Hill" hill where you go North to South up Macklind or Sublette. Then it is rather hilly going either direction at various points between downtown and midtown - with very little traffic on Locust or Olive. I've been doing the Washington & Old Dominion Trail a lot and I find it kinda boring, like the Katy trail. As is typical for rails to trails, it is mostly flat and straight. Other than feeling the wind in my face, I may as well be in the gym on an excercise bike!
Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree. I meant it's great for commuting by bike. Very easy to get around!

Old 09-08-2011, 11:39 AM

150 posts, read 244,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
As a fellow biker, I consider St. Louis very flat. There are very small rolling hills which are good for short repeats but you wont find anything here with a climb over maybe 200 feet and you have to go to Jefferson county for that. I think that's why crits are so popular here. I was actually amazed at the size of the biking scene here. Not like you'll find out west but very vibrant for the Midwest.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:03 PM

Well, you guys are giving me hope that if I move there, I might be able to start biking again. The hills here in Charlotte are too much for me...

and, Book Lover, thanks for the word about living in IL. Since I am a former resident of IL, I figure that would be easiest; I wouldn't have to learn a bunch of new stuff!

Still waiting to see what is going on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis