Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:39 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times

Advertisements

Can I get some opinions on this neighborhood?

http://www.grandsouthsenior.com/

I'm a 58 year old single man. Currently live in small town southern IL, about 2 1/2 hours south of St. Louis

I've spent a lot of time in St.Louis, but never lived there. But I haven't been to south city since the 1960's as a kid. I've lived in the Chicago and Dallas 'burbs during my working years.

As I grow older,I'm questioning if I want to stay in my boyhood small town and home anymore. I think I have more in common with city people than small town folks at this point in my life.

St. Louis is the only city I would be interested in relocating to. But I'm not well off enough to live in the really good neighborhoods. Income is a $3000 per month pension. Would like to spend no more than $600 for rent.

The apartments in question are a few years old, and look nice. I have mixed feelings about the neighborhood. Mainly proximity to Gravois Park, which I understand is crime infested. Some say this neighborhood is getting better, some say otherwise.

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 07:59 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
I think this area is still considered pretty transitional. Have you considered Tower Grove Manor, which is still on Grand, but in a better area?

I have the pleasure of staying in Metropolis about a month per year for work--St Louis will be a change!

Old 09-22-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
I think this area is still considered pretty transitional. Have you considered Tower Grove Manor, which is still on Grand, but in a better area?

I have the pleasure of staying in Metropolis about a month per year for work--St Louis will be a change!
I've looked at Tower Grove Manor, it seems to have older residents than what I'm looking for at this point.

Metropolis is alright, just almost everything requires lots of driving, and I see that becoming a problem at some point. Don't have any family left anymore, and no one to rely on here.

Other option is across the river to Paducah KY, which would be less of a transition than moving to St. Louis, but Paducah doesn't match a big city in amenities.

I've always loved St. Louis, but never had the opportunity to live there.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:59 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
If you're not sold entirely on a senior living environment I definitely think there'd be multiple options for under $600/month from a private landlord in a slightly better area. I wouldn't have a major issue living in that area (though it wouldn't be my first choice either) but I'm also a fairly experienced urbanite.

A couple options from Craigslist:

Don't know if you'd consider a studio, but this would be a great area to live: / STUDIO - Adorable Studio with Brand New Kitchen & ALL UTIL. INCL (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2613434333.html - broken link)

Shaw is just a touch sketchy still, but clearly on the up and up: Just listed! Great price for VERY spacious place (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2613337787.html - broken link)

Beautiful apartment in Southwest Garden Neighborhood (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2612943329.html - broken link)

VERY safe area: 2nd fl, thermals, new floors, BALCONY////STL Hills (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2612436756.html - broken link)

So anyway, there's loads of options if you're willing to look outside the big complexes.

Definitely feel free to ask any follow-up questions!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:36 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,339 times
I like aragx6's suggestions very much. If you're on a budget, Sr. Housing can be very expensive given the number of additional amenities you're paying for: 24 hr call assistance, nursing staff, cafeteria overhead, additional security, etc. Part of your $600 limit will go to paying for these things even if you don't use them. If you don't need these things (or at least greatly desire them) at this point, then a traditional lease on an apartment might be the way to go.

A place in SW city, U-City, CWE may be the way to go in terms of transit, safety, amenities, and cost.

Some more:

Efficiency Apt Clayton/Skinker Area (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2600096316.html - broken link)

Renovated ! Clean. Wood floors. (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2531371063.html - broken link)

1 bed 1 bath ready in Cwe (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2612359489.html - broken link)

A place on the Hill:

Beautiful 1 BR in ST LOUIS! (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2613167699.html - broken link)

Another around Dogtown:

**Overlooks St. Louis Zoo---Opportuntiy Not Worth Missing** (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2612661713.html - broken link)

Old 09-23-2011, 05:55 PM

30 posts, read 54,275 times
Not the best area but far from the worst. I'd call it iffy at best. Just drove down that stretch of Grand today. Personally, I wouldn't recommend that area, unless you have a good level of urban tolerance. Don't know if these apartments are technically in Gravois Park, but if not, they are very close. Gravois Park is the roughest area in South City.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond_Heights_Fella View Post
Not the best area but far from the worst. I'd call it iffy at best. Just drove down that stretch of Grand today. Personally, I wouldn't recommend that area, unless you have a good level of urban tolerance. Don't know if these apartments are technically in Gravois Park, but if not, they are very close. Gravois Park is the roughest area in South City.
Yeah, it doesn't look good on Google Street View. The apartments themselves were built in 2008, and look secure. But you still have to go out into the neighborhood. I've panned a few blocks north and south, and all I see is old beat up cars and grass growing in the sidewalks.

St. Louis in general is probably more drama than I need at this point in my life. In and out for a Cardinals or Blues game, is one thing, living there quite another. Probably better off staying put.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:59 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Yeah, it doesn't look good on Google Street View. The apartments themselves were built in 2008, and look secure. But you still have to go out into the neighborhood. I've panned a few blocks north and south, and all I see is old beat up cars and grass growing in the sidewalks.

St. Louis in general is probably more drama than I need at this point in my life. In and out for a Cardinals or Blues game, is one thing, living there quite another. Probably better off staying put.

Thanks for the help.
That's a shame -- I think there are a ton of areas in which you could be happy in the city. If you reconsider, let us know and we'll be happy to help!

Old 09-27-2011, 08:45 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
I've looked at Tower Grove Manor, it seems to have older residents than what I'm looking for at this point.
You would have to be in your late 60s to fit in with the crowd at Tower Grove Manor. If you reconsider, understand that there are some meal purchase requirements and that there are some funky rules like gentlemen have to wear a jacket in the dining room.

Gatesworth Manor would be a better option BUT it is out of your price range, big time.

Ever consider Bowling green, KY or Clarksville, TN?

Old 09-28-2011, 11:32 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Can I get some opinions on this neighborhood?

St Louis Senior Apartments for Rent | Grand South Senior Apartments in St Louis Missouri

I'm a 58 year old single man. Currently live in small town southern IL, about 2 1/2 hours south of St. Louis

I've spent a lot of time in St.Louis, but never lived there. But I haven't been to south city since the 1960's as a kid. I've lived in the Chicago and Dallas 'burbs during my working years.

As I grow older,I'm questioning if I want to stay in my boyhood small town and home anymore. I think I have more in common with city people than small town folks at this point in my life.

St. Louis is the only city I would be interested in relocating to. But I'm not well off enough to live in the really good neighborhoods. Income is a $3000 per month pension. Would like to spend no more than $600 for rent.

The apartments in question are a few years old, and look nice. I have mixed feelings about the neighborhood. Mainly proximity to Gravois Park, which I understand is crime infested. Some say this neighborhood is getting better, some say otherwise.

Thanks for any input.

You should go into this with your eyes wide open. This is a news story of a fairly recent violent incident involving a senior citizen in close proximity:

Fatal beating in St. Louis was result of "knockout game"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis