Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:32 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
How about an outdoor stadium on the East side of the Mississippi Then they could still have a backdrop with the St. Louis skyline in it...and who knows, maybe it could provide some use empty land over that way.
I'd rather the Rams stay where they are even though I don't care for the dome.

If they do move, I'd want them to stay in Missouri, even if it means a suburban location like Fenton. I will say I was just out there visiting another business and it is amazing how much ground it out there.

I just don't see Missouri and the City of St. Louis or St. Louis County coming up with much in the way of public money to build a new stadium in this economic climate, and it doesn't appear likely that will improve much in coming years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 09:06 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
How about an outdoor stadium on the East side of the Mississippi Then they could still have a backdrop with the St. Louis skyline in it...and who knows, maybe it could provide some use empty land over that way.
I remember this was discussed in terms of the Cardinals stadium. It went nowhere due to polls showing something along the lines of 60% of those surveyed would never go to a game if it was in Illinois.

Also one thing with football stadiums and games the tailgating experience and aspect is different than in other sports.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:45 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I remember this was discussed in terms of the Cardinals stadium. It went nowhere due to polls showing something along the lines of 60% of those surveyed would never go to a game if it was in Illinois.

Also one thing with football stadiums and games the tailgating experience and aspect is different than in other sports.
Why would 60% of fans never venture across the Mississippi? I remember in 1976, when the New York Giants moved from Yankee Stadium (actually 1975 was the Yale Bowl) to Giants Stadium in East Rutherford NJ, which is actually about 7 miles from NYC, and the stadium was sold out the very first day, and continues on to this day.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:20 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
60% of people can say that, but whether 60% really wouldn't have gone is much more questionable. I do remember when those conversations were happening and I know, at least out in St. Charles where I lived at the time, folks were very against the idea of putting it across the river.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
60% of people can say that, but whether 60% really wouldn't have gone is much more questionable. I do remember when those conversations were happening and I know, at least out in St. Charles where I lived at the time, folks were very against the idea of putting it across the river.
Probably due to convenience issues as the sticking point, Aragx6. I am thinking that most object to the additional drive time. However, if the stadium were to relocate across the river, and there was a will amongst Rams fans to travel to the games, this would be a non-issue. I am thinking that there are those in Belleville, O'Fallon, Freeburg, etc, that would actually welcome a stadium in East St. Louis. In New Jersey, for instance, most Giant fans were ecstatic about the move.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:16 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Probably due to convenience issues as the sticking point, Aragx6. I am thinking that most object to the additional drive time. However, if the stadium were to relocate across the river, and there was a will amongst Rams fans to travel to the games, this would be a non-issue. I am thinking that there are those in Belleville, O'Fallon, Freeburg, etc, that would actually welcome a stadium in East St. Louis. In New Jersey, for instance, most Giant fans were ecstatic about the move.

Just my speculation here, but I think a lot of Missourians would prefer to see a team representing St. Louis, Missouri to play its games and have its stadium in Missouri. I don't think they want tax revenues, etc., going to Illinois instead of Missouri for a St. Louis based team. I certainly feel this way. Although East St. Louis has nice views of downtown, I in no way consider East St. Louis connected to downtown even though, technically, it is with the Eads Bridge and Metrolink.

Maybe others do, I dunno. For the good of the city core, I again hope the team stays where it is and my guess is it will (after Kroenke extorts the necessary concessions from the City, of course). But if they do move, a location just west of 44/270 would be convenient to a whole lot of people that go to the games.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:22 AM

529 posts, read 1,008,887 times
Andy Strickland has been talking about this for the last couple of days on KFNS. He claims Kroenke sent a survey team to the old Chrysler plant and that was fueling the speculation about his plans there. Take it for what it's worth; Andy has been wrong on several notable cases.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:52 AM

A somewhat unrelated question: does anyone know if there is a gift shop inside the Edward Jones dome to buy Rams merchandise? At Busch Stadium, there is clearly a Cardinals merchandise store. We were in the market to purchase some Rams merchandise for my girlfriend's daughter. Yellow pages searches seem to be futile.

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2011, 08:46 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Quote:
A somewhat unrelated question: does anyone know if there is a gift shop inside the Edward Jones dome to buy Rams merchandise? At Busch Stadium, there is clearly a Cardinals merchandise store. We were in the market to purchase some Rams merchandise for my girlfriend's daughter. Yellow pages searches seem to be futile.

Thanks!
I'm sure there is, but those places are always twice as much as the same merchandise at local malls.

As far as the stadium goes. I think what's done is done. The dome is there. May as well stay there and make the best of it. An open air stadium would be nice though, especially with that downtown location. Why doesn't StL get any superbowls?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:12 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Quote:

Thanks!
I think just about every mall has a sports merchandise store that would have Rams gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis