Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:05 AM

4 posts, read 3,965 times

Advertisements

Nobodys a bigger football town then
Right here in tuscalusa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 07:45 PM

272 posts, read 786,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by storey13 View Post
I still root for the Arizona Cardinals as long as they are not playing the Rams.
You are a far better person than me. I grew up in the 1970s when Bill Bidwell seemed to trade everyone who showed any hint of talent. He seemed more interested in the short term $$$ of ownership rather than the long term investment required to build decent teams.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:50 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,118 times
Late to this one, but I think it bears pointing out that when you look at all levels of football, St. Louis is very much NOT a football town.

At the high school level, the vast majority of the elite programs are located outside of metro St. Louis.

College football is not big in the state. Missou has had decent runs here or there, but for a state of MO's size and with only one major college program, Missou football support is relatively weak.

Pro football isn't a great barometer, because like most medium to small sized markets, when the team is doing well, support is strong, but when the team's fortunes change, there is a very noticeable decline in support.

STL is not Pittsburgh, KC, Chicago, any of the major cities in OH, or Detroit when it comes to a culture of football at all levels. This may surprise many here, but it's not even a football town the way Louisville or Indianapolis are. HS football is much bigger in both towns, and college support tends to be stronger (although more divided among several programs...KY/Louisville and Notre Dame/Purdue/and to a much lower extend Indiana).

When it comes to sports, STL is much more similar to east coast cities. Pro sports get good support considering the size of the area. Prep soccer gets relatively more coverage at the expense of prep football compared to most of the country. College football (and college sports in general) aren't as big as they are in most of the Midwest and Southeast. Presence of a non-football Catholic school playing in the A10. St. Louis is definitely an anomaly in the middle american sports world.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:49 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
I'm curious of those who are writing St. Louis off as "not a football town" lived here in the early 2000's when the Rams were the most dominant team in the NFL? I will agree that the Rams don't elicit the same passion out of fans as old franchises like the Packers and Bears do (particularly when they are a gutter team like recent history). But when they were the best, people in St. Louis definitely lived and breathed the Rams.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
I think the damage was done to us being a football town when the Cards moved to Arizona and we didn't get a team back until the mid-90s. Even a superbowl win and successful seasons (early on) couldn't establish the team (although it certainly didn't hurt). The only thing that can make STL a football town again is longevity. We are not going to be like Green Bay or Pittsburgh without the history those teams have with their communities. We just have to be patient. There is no shortcut here for the process.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:02 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
I'm curious of those who are writing St. Louis off as "not a football town" lived here in the early 2000's when the Rams were the most dominant team in the NFL? I will agree that the Rams don't elicit the same passion out of fans as old franchises like the Packers and Bears do (particularly when they are a gutter team like recent history). But when they were the best, people in St. Louis definitely lived and breathed the Rams.
When your team is the best, people will live and die with the team regardless of the culture of the town w/ respect to that sport 99% of the time. The only major league exception I can think of is Atlanta Braves baseball. You might throw in some of the growing cities in the country where a lot of people aren't from that particular area too (Phoenix and the like). That's not the true measure of how good of a football town any particular area is.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,902 times
I do not think so. We are if the team is winning which they are not right now. Same way with the cardinals.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:52 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Was watching the game yesterday on TV for a little while, and there is absolutely no juice in the Jones Dome for the Rams. It must be the worst atmosphere I've ever seen for a game.

The Cardinals are a passion here. The Rams might qualify as an interest or a hobby.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:45 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Just my personal belief, but I believe we are a bandwagon football town but a baseball town in every sense of the word. If you follow sports, listen to talk radio, read the sports page, anything to do with the cardinals is news all year round whether the team is winning or not or even during the offseason (and fortunately, we've had a big run of success under TLR, and prior to that, Herzog (not so much under Torre)). Sure, crowds are better when they win, but people still stay tuned even if they aren't playing so well. People pay attention to offseason stuff and debate it.

Not so much with the Rams or even the football Cardinals back in the day.

Again, just my opinion, but I'm a huge football fan who grew up here and has lived here my entire 44 years (except for my time in Columbia, MO at Mizzou).

Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson tide View Post
Nobodys a bigger football town then
Right here in tuscalusa
True, but there are also great pro-football towns. Green Bay, Pittsburg, probably put KC in that category.

I'm a life long St. Louisan and Mizzou fan who is looking forward to joining the SEC, but I would submit STL is not that great football town in the sense those other cities are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis