Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:23 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
stlouisan, pretty sure i quoted you accurately in my post #16. Here's an excerpt.

"What I also find shocking is that blacks, generally the people engaged in this "knockout game", are generally venturing outside of their own boundaries..."

maybe it's not what you meant, but i wasn't adding anything extra to your comment. Maybe you should ensure what you're typing is clear before you hit 'post'.

As to chain gangs being cruel and unusual, i'd totally disagree. Good performance for the potential of parole sounds great, letting "chain gangs" clean up the city streets sounds great too. Imagine a group of inmates, on a daily basis picking up trash, scrubbing sidewalks, planting flowers, trees, etc and beautifying some of the more crime ridden areas on the Northside. Do you think watching last week's "crime lord" sweeping the street might do anything to deter some random youth from pursuing a life of crime?

I think to many urban youth, crime is seen as a way to elevate one's status. It's a means to income and respect amongst others. The criminals who get nabbed are most likely seen by many whom look up to them as "folks who are being tougher than the system". I'm sure upon release most inmates say to those under them in gang life "the joint can't break me, i broke the joint!"...but I'd bet seeing a criminal on a chain gang saying "Boss, mind if I take a pee?" would take any idea of glamor, or glorification out of the eyes of impressionable youth.
I do generally tend to think that youths who commit crimes definitely take advantage of their minor status. I think those who choose abuse to the degree these kids are need to have adult consequences. Generally, if they are mentally broken down as youths, they will likely be less resistant to change when they are older. Letting them get off lightly on crimes like this is likely only going to make them more violent as adults, because they've seen they can push the boundaries and get away with it. I can certainly tell you that it is much harder to change in your mid-20s versus being under the age of 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 12:40 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I do generally tend to think that youths who commit crimes definitely take advantage of their minor status. I think those who choose abuse to the degree these kids are need to have adult consequences. Generally, if they are mentally broken down as youths, they will likely be less resistant to change when they are older. Letting them get off lightly on crimes like this is likely only going to make them more violent as adults, because they've seen they can push the boundaries and get away with it. I can certainly tell you that it is much harder to change in your mid-20s versus being under the age of 18.
And you think the goal of our prisons is to change behavior? You believe they are successfully rehabilitating its occupants?

Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
While I think this knockout game is horrific, I dont think its a sign of the times. There were guys in my highschool in the 90's that did stuff like this.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:29 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I actually agree with a fair amount of your post, but I take issue with this line. It's pretty ironic to say, for the specific purposes of this argument, that these kids have access to education when most of us wouldn't send our beloved family dogs to any of the neighborhood (non-magnet) city schools.
Totally understand your point Aragx, but I think many of the education problems associated with under performing schools can be attributed to students and parental involvement. I do believe there are poor teachers around, and administrators who only care about collecting a paycheck. But in the better performing school districts these faculty and administration officials would have their feet held to the fire by the parents, and the boards would expect results.

I'm sure socioeconomic situations bear pretty heavy on parental involvement in a school, and that makes logical sense. The more you work, the less time you have to be involved in extra activities. That being said a person has to put a value on their child's education and motivating your child with goals and expectations is an principle pillar of good parenting.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
And you think the goal of our prisons is to change behavior? You believe they are successfully rehabilitating its occupants?
I didn't have prisons in mind when I said that statement. I was speaking about the average human being. The goal of prisons SHOULD be to change behavior. And no, I don't think they are successfully rehabilitating occupants, however, they certainly do keep dangerous people off the streets for a certain period of time, which I guess is somewhat of a start...not really though.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:33 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
well, i pray that the people committing these crimes are NOT the average human being. If they're the "average", we're a pretty sad species.

As far as I'm concerned, the #1 job of a prison should be to take bad people off the street so the rest of us can live in peace...their secondary function should be attempting to find ways for these individuals to productively re-enter society.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
well, i pray that the people committing these crimes are NOT the average human being. If they're the "average", we're a pretty sad species.

As far as I'm concerned, the #1 job of a prison should be to take bad people off the street so the rest of us can live in peace...their secondary function should be attempting to find ways for these individuals to productively re-enter society.
No, I don't consider those people average human beings. The prisons are doing number one just fine...they're not doing number two correctly though, which is actually compromising number one. We're doing a great job of filling up our prisons, but a terrible job at bringing these offenders out as reformed people.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:21 AM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times
Seems like more often than not, prison changes a person for the worse. Which is understandable. When a person is living surrounded by immoral hardened criminals 24/7, it's going to rub off.
Back to topic...
The mentality of someone who participates in this so-called game is frightening: No fear of being caught. Thinks it's funny. Doesn't care about the victim because they're strangers. No conscience. Boasts about it. This perfectly describes the sort of individual that needs to be removed from society. Put in solitary confinement indefinately.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:43 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
This behavior is a textbook definition of being a psychopath. Lack of empathy, boredom, resmorselessness, impulsivity, etc.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:05 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
^If they were grown adults, sure. But frankly, I haven't met too many teenageers who haven't exhibited all four of those characteristics.

Add peer pressure into the mix, and kids will do just about anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis