Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:01 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylville View Post
Thanks for all the replies! I will look into those areas mentioned. BTW what I mean by " unrenovated home" is one that doesn't have all the beautiful woodwork removed or painted and walls all ripped down to make it more "open". On the other hand if the electrical and windows have been upgraded..well I wouldn't complain...re Tower Grove South I have read that some areas are sketchy. is that true?
Tower Grove Heights (http://towergroveheights.com/) is the best part of Tower Grove South and will have the caliber of home you're looking for. Occasional property crime can be expected as with all the other areas you're looking at, but violent crime is very very rare. Tower Grove East has some marvelous homes as well, but is definitely somewhat more sketchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 02:25 AM

165 posts, read 451,372 times
Also consider Old North St. Louis. There are unrenovated homes available for a range of prices and the crime rates are similar to or lower than the CWE and other neighborhoods mentioned here.

Old North St. Louis Restoration Group | Working to build an Urban Village on the Edge of Downtown St. Louis :: HOMEBUYERS There are some helpful links on the right of the linked page.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:39 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,012,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3240Redo View Post
Also consider Old North St. Louis. There are unrenovated homes available for a range of prices and the crime rates are similar to or lower than the CWE and other neighborhoods mentioned here.

Old North St. Louis Restoration Group | Working to build an Urban Village on the Edge of Downtown St. Louis :: HOMEBUYERS There are some helpful links on the right of the linked page.

ehhhhhh...if i was prepped to drop 450k on a home, I don't know if Old North St. Louis is where I'd do it. The area is making a very vibrant turn around, but depending on the economy, feasability, and future desirability it might continue or just end up as a small neighborhood in the middle of North City. I've got a friend who owns up there, and she loves it. Same time, they purchased their warehouse for $1.00 from the city, and preceeded to renovate it into a single family home...now that they have eh...6000 ish square feet of home, garage, and work area they're plenty happy...but even the renovation was significantly less than 450k...I'd rather invest in that crappy 1980's renovation in Lafayette Square, or the cheapest of houses in any of the previously mentioned suggestions.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:07 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
^But it's not in the middle of north city. It damn near abuts downtown. As cities gentrify -- and that's of course where the argument comes in; I believe St. Louis will continue to do so -- accessible locations with beautiful housing stock are unlikely to be a bad investment.

For current livability I'd frankly have a hard tme giving up CWE or Lafayette Square if I could afford it, but ONSL really does have a ton going for it, and in my opinion, will only continue to get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis