Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:11 AM

4 posts, read 3,515 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I wasn't sure whether to reuse one of the many "moving to St. Louis threads" or not, but I figured it's cleaner with one person per thread.

I'm a single 28 y/o male and I've been working on Washington Ave since the start of January (though our office is moving to one of the Cupples Buildings later this year); my lease is finally up at the end of March so I can move from O'Fallon/Lake St. Louis, MO into St. Louis. I'm originally from the KC area and am just starting to get my feet wet in St. Louis so I'm not super familiar with the neighborhoods, although I think I've given myself a bit of a crash course by reading a lot of the links from the forum.

I'm looking for a 1BR for around $850, although I could probably swing ~$900. I'm guessing that won't get anything amazing, but as long as it's comfortable and has modern appliances/wiring (and character is always nice) I'm not super difficult to please. After next year I can probably afford something a bit pricier.

I love music, running, movies (including indie) etc. and a walkable area would definitely be a plus. I'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions for where you think I'd enjoy living. I'm planning on going on a tour of as much of the city this weekend as I can and just trying to walk through some of the different areas to get a better feel (and over the next few weekends as well while touring apartments/lofts/etc.). One of my co-workers said he thought I would prefer something in South City as opposed to a Washington Ave loft because of my Arcade Fire ringtone ( lol?) and other things, but South City covers quite a bit of ground.

Currently, I don't know enough to have a preference. I'm a noob. =) I keep hearing CWE, Washington Ave district, Tower Grove South, Soulard, etc. but I'm open to any suggestions outside of those as well.

You guys seem like you're super helpful based on the other threads here, which is awesome for St. Louis noobs like me, so I really appreciate it. I'm not familiar enough with the city to know what postings are reasonable, e.g. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2853883681.html (broken link) seems like it must be in a bad neighborhood or something for a 2BR for that price or is that just the going rate for that area?

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have more questions based on your feedback. Thanks again!

Last edited by msu.falcon; 02-16-2012 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: link fail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I think you've generally gotten pretty good advice thus far; it'd be hard to go wrong with CWE, Washington Ave district, Tower Grove South or Soulard.

Central West End is upscale so you'll be looking at a smaller apartment, but the amenities within walking distance and access to the metro make that a worthwhile compromise for many people.

Washington Ave. is nice, but you won't find a ton oif stuff within your budget -- simply because most stuff is newer down there. If you could find something down there at a good price though, you'd probably like it. I definitely don't think you Arcade Fire ringtone precludes you from enjoying downtown.

Soulard is big on the bar scene and definitely has some good restuarants and you can definitely afford a vintage apartment close to everything. Soulard lacks a "strip" or major intersection of amenities -- more corner bars if that's your style. It gets a reputation for being rowdy because of events like Mardi Gras and now Oktoberfest (which do, in point of fact, get quite rowdy), but really through the vast majority of the year it's got a much sleepier vibe. Honestly, if you're a drinker, you'll love Soulard (I know I do!)

Tower Grove South really does seem like, given your budget and what I gather of your personality thus far, it could be your best bet. The heart of the South grand business district runs from Arsenal to about Utah and it's chock full of some of the city's best ethnic eateries, a couple good bars and plenty of day-to-day type amenities. If you want a vintage apartment but in good condition, TGS is probably the most likely neighborhood to have one in your price range while still being super walkable.

Additionally, in the last few years a strip of bars has opened on the western edge of the neighborhood along Morganford. Rents tend to be lower, but you'd still have some good going out options while still being a long walk/easy bike ride to South Grand.

The least expensive part of Tower Grove South is the southern portion -- I regularly see apartments down near the Schnucks on Gravois under even $500. This area isn't as nice when it comes to housing stock and likely the quality of your neighbors and it doesn't offer the same walkability. With your budget you should be able to stick to the more happening parts of the neighborhood.

That listing you posted is a beautiful property! I would say it's priced low, but your money goes pretty far in Tower Grove so it's not a crazy price. It's also a slow time for rentals, so I've seen better prices than in the busy spring/summer months. But you'd have to confirm where exactly it is because it doesn't say. If the block is right (38XX) you'll be close to Grand, but without knowing the street I can't really give a full opinon. If I were guessing, I bet it's pretty far south in the neighborhood, but who knows!

If I were going to add an area to look I'd suggest the Loop area (which straddles the city/U-city line). Has the alternative vibe, loads of great restaurants and bars and one of the best music venues in St. Louis, the Pageant. Your money could potentially get you something quite nice there. Essentially, if you want something with a strong neighborhood feel but would like to be on the metro line (which South City doesn't offer), it's a great option for you.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
^This

-If I was single, 28 and worked downtown, I would live in Soulard. They call it the island because it pretty much has everything you need, you never have to leave. You can bike to work as well. There is the downtown commuter bike station where you can park your bike, shower, etc.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:50 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
I have further input on Washington Ave, as it pertains to previous pricing experience. If you stay on Washington, west of Jefferson St, the rentals fall, and there are some good deals to be had.

Here's a good mapping device I have posted a time or two before:

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

Old 02-16-2012, 09:48 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
Also, I think Central West End may be up your alley as well. Are you more casual or like a nicer vibe? If you are more casual, Soulard/South City is the place to be. Central West End is nicer, but you would be able to take the metrolink to work. South City is massive, so you may be overwhelmed. I would look into Tower Grove South, Shaw, Lafayette Square, Benton Park, and Dog Town. Those would all be good for a single guy.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:07 PM

4 posts, read 3,515 times
Thank you all!

Yes, the very cheapest lofts (east of Jefferson) on Washington Avenue are just within my budget. I've seen a couple of places start around $860, but it seems like most of the 1BR lofts are $1000+ that direction. Some of them are gorgeous but above my range; I'll think about it again next year when hopefully I'll be getting a raise. I'll keep my eye out west of Jefferson as well.

Mike, thank you so much for the link to PadMapper. That is going to make my search so much easier. I can't believe I haven't heard of that before.

I'd say I'm between casual and nice. I'm very laid-back but I love going out and doing things as well as doing things outdoors like hiking. I haven't been able to do as much of that lately; Lake St. Louis is just a homogenous mass of upper-middle class white people and my friends from college tend to be centered around Florissant or near the Botanical Garden. I'm looking forward to being around a diverse crowd of people again and meeting a lot of people. (Also, though I didn't mention it above, I love good food. I used to be a bit of a Food Network junkie a couple of years ago. =P) Thanks arag and stl. I'll keep what you said in mind and be sure to come back with any questions I have.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:44 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Tower Grove South really does seem like, given your budget and what I gather of your personality thus far, it could be your best bet. The heart of the South grand business district runs from Arsenal to about Utah and it's chock full of some of the city's best ethnic eateries, a couple good bars and plenty of day-to-day type amenities. If you want a vintage apartment but in good condition, TGS is probably the most likely neighborhood to have one in your price range while still being super walkable.

Additionally, in the last few years a strip of bars has opened on the western edge of the neighborhood along Morganford. Rents tend to be lower, but you'd still have some good going out options while still being a long walk/easy bike ride to South Grand.
+1. Tower Grove South sounds ideal for you. And nobody even mentioned the best part of the neighborhood - Tower Grove Park. Having a huge victorian park right in the middle of the neighborhood is a huge amentity to have.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:49 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
+1. Tower Grove South sounds ideal for you. And nobody even mentioned the best part of the neighborhood - Tower Grove Park. Having a huge victorian park right in the middle of the neighborhood is a huge amentity to have.
Epic oversight on my part. TGP is the second largest park in the city and is just lovely.

http://www.towergrovepark.org/

Old 02-17-2012, 05:27 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
I agree w/ the above posters who mention Tower Grove South, Soulard, and Benton Park (also check out Shaw). I think its worth mentioning that Tower Grove East is considered a bit sketchier by most.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:05 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
I would live downtown. Have you looked at the Merchandise Mart, Bell Lofts, Cupples Station, or 10th street lofts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis