Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 09:14 AM

171 posts, read 445,025 times

Advertisements

Long story short, my landlord has given me the option to extend my lease from May 20th to August 15th.

As some of you know, I just moved to StL December 18th, and I lucked out and found a good job pretty quickly. In turn, I'll be staying here in StL; I'm not moving back to Colorado and taking my old job back . Still, since it's a new job, I'm not ready to sign onto a 1-year lease with an apartment (lets get real: the job might not work out) and I'd like to stay in the room I'm renting just a little bit longer.

My LL says August 15th, or another 3 months, would be perfect. I agree that having 6 months at my job would be perfect too, as far as deciding whether or not that's where I want to work for at least a few years.

Am I going to be hard pressed to find an apt in the Aug 15th-Sept 1 date range, or RIGHT in time for the student rush? I'm currently renting in the Academy neighborhood, but the 45 minute bus ride that gets me to work 25 minutes early after taking me only 4.5 miles is already getting old. Since my job is in Lafayette Square, I'm interested in:

Soulard
Benton Park
Benton Park West
Gravois Park
Tower Grove South
Tower Grove East
Dutchtown

Based on neighborhood vibe and vicinity to my job, Benton Park and Benton Park West are my first two choices. I have $1730/mo income (which will increase to $2,250 after the 3 month probationary period), and will no longer be a full-time student once I start looking for a new place. I'd like to stay under $500/month.

Will August 15th/Sept 1st be workable? Or do I need to talk to my LL about extending my lease until December (my other option) to play it safe? Am I right in thinking that my competition for cheap South City will be merciless in August?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 11:04 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Buy Car. I'd probably start your search soon, start digging around craigslist and see what's coming available later in the year...check with property managers, and others trying to find an opening. Often, if a person realizes they have no ability to get you into a place they own, they might be willing to give you contact info for other property managers they know. Good luck! I don't think it'll be impossible though, many of the students in the area are probably living closer to the universities that they're associated with, and not simply the party area of Soulard, or the more family oriented Benton Park / tower Grove South...those will be areas that you find recent college grads (similar to you). I'd still invest in a cheap $500 POS car so you can get around without bumming rides and taking the bus everywhere...control of my own schedule/destiny is somewhat important...if I had to choose to either wait 45 minutes for the next bus, hike 2 miles, or leave NOW in my car and get there in a couple minutes...i'd choose the latter

Old 02-18-2012, 05:47 PM

210 posts, read 412,024 times
"Long story short".... HAHA

Old 02-18-2012, 06:39 PM

171 posts, read 445,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjhku View Post
"Long story short".... HAHA
...yes, long story short. One sentence to summarize what the rest of my post is basically trying to say, should you decide you don't want to read through it but you still want to answer the question.

@flynavyj, as usual, thanks! I definitely didn't anticipate starting my search so soon. I assumed I'd be hard pressed to beat out the competition, but I didn't anticipate it being that bad. Still, thanks for the kick in the pants!

Old 02-19-2012, 05:22 AM

210 posts, read 412,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Pepper View Post
...yes, long story short. One sentence to summarize what the rest of my post is basically trying to say, should you decide you don't want to read through it but you still want to answer the question.
Gotcha

I've only lived in Stl a little bit longer than you have. During the weekend before the 2011 fall semester started, I believe it was the last week of August, I saw 5+ moving trucks up and down my street in Debaliviere Place. Many people were still moving in and out immediately before the semester started. I don't think you're going to be pressed to find place during your date range. It would be easiest sign a lease prior to first day classes (slu:aug27, washu:aug28). After the start of school, it'll probably be harder, but I can't speak on how hard -- might not be hard at all.

My advice, start looking for availability at the beginning of summer. Sign a lease a couple months in advance for mid August. No says you have to sign a lease and move in the next day.

In my particular instance, I started looking early summer. Signed a lease at the beginning of June for a late July start date. My condo was vacant for nearly to two months. I think it's a renter's market, but this is just speaking from a very limited experience as a renter in St Louis.

Anyways, good luck with your apt search. I hope things work out for you.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
I'd agree with RC, the market will favor individuals looking to rent. You're also lucky that you're looking in a big city, as opposed to a college town...I'm sure Carbondale, Kirksville, Rolla are all tough to rent in approaching the beginning of the semester...being in a city, you'll always have people in the general areas you're looking at who are wanting to rent their property despite the fall rush.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:52 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,087 times
Check out Fox Park and McKinley Heights as well, you will be able to walk to Lafayette Square

Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
A. Seriously listen to stlcitygirl; those would be great for your commute and should definitely have some listings right at $500.

B. I really don't think it's going to be that hard to find something right around that time as long as you're proactive. Frankly speaking, not a ton of SLU students are going to be looking in places like Benton Park West. Is there any reason to think that your landlord, if you end up not finding something you like, wouldn't be willing to extend your lease again until December?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis