U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:44 PM

12,063 posts, read 29,808,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
If you took the inner belt straight down to the 44 it would cut through a decent portion of Webster Groves I believe. I don't have exact coordinates, and the streets here wind incredibly, but Brentwood Avenue continues south only about a block west of the 170 and it bisects Old Webster. Now a good portion of Webster Groves exists south of the 44 as well. I think it is referred to as inner-ring because in part there is either nothing or a very small, lightly populated suburb between Webster and the city.
Fair enough!

It's a pretty easy argument that what is inner ring in St. Louis would literally be in the city limits in most cities that aren't an itty bitty 61 sq/miles, so many of our inner-ring 'burbs are pretty urban, and our mid-ring 'burbs pretty inner ring in feel.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM

8,553 posts, read 18,877,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
If you took the inner belt straight down to the 44 it would cut through a decent portion of Webster Groves I believe. I don't have exact coordinates, and the streets here wind incredibly, but Brentwood Avenue continues south only about a block west of the 170 and it bisects Old Webster. Now a good portion of Webster Groves exists south of the 44 as well. I think it is referred to as inner-ring because in part there is either nothing or a very small, lightly populated suburb between Webster and the city.
Of course, if there is a mapping question, I feel compelled to answer it somehow. Scocar is right: I-170 would bisect WG, and part of it lies below 44.
Restaurants that best represent St. Louis-webster.jpg
I was looking for home rentals in that very section of 44 last night, and it's incredible, once you cross over into Crestwood, there's an immediate change of feel and character.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:26 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,115,495 times
If you are not familiar with the area, the homes below the 44 in Webster are much more of the red brick ranch style variety. North of the 44 you get more of the turn-of-the-century Victorian architecture that WG and Kirkwood are known for.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:35 PM

230 posts, read 354,553 times
Chimichanga's on S. Grand!

Old 04-29-2012, 02:55 PM

8 posts, read 8,448 times
I LOVE the food in St. Louis! Unfortunately, outside of "the hill", I don't think any neighborhoods have distinct types of restaurants that truly define the area.
When in doubt, use yelp.com and search by type of food and just go to the top rated restaurants. You won't be disappointed!

I have lived here for 6+ years and even though my work travel takes me all over the country and the globe, I am never disappointed by the diverse options St. Louis restaurants have to offer. This city knows good food, surprisingly more so than some of the biggest metropolis in this country.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:17 AM

36 posts, read 87,431 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned my absolute favorite St Louis restaurant: Sidney Street Cafe. Sidney Street Cafe: Home It's not a cafe - it's a restaurant that's elegant yet not stuffy. Food is amazing. I return to St Louie to visit my parents a couple of times a year and we make the trek from icky North County to Benton Park just to go to Sidney St. Fabulous!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 AM

101 posts, read 290,367 times
One of the things I love about St. Louis now is the variety of restaurants and the lack of those "chain" places in the "inner ring" area. Ok, maybe a couple of Applebees in Clayton/U City, and a Pizza Hut or two or three, but very few if any of the O'Charleys, Chedders, Red Lobster Ruby Tuesday, types.

Instead we get a great variety of well made eats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis