Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:03 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I can't take credit for discovering it (it was someone on the Chicago forum who suggested it I believe) but I've found it to be super useful too! Any luck finding an apartment for her?
We're bringing her back to KC this weekend (end of her spring break) and take a look-see at the surrounding neighborhoods within walking distance to the campus. And she's going to be talking to some seniors for advice; maybe get a lead on a place that will be up for rent in May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 11:20 PM

18 posts, read 41,867 times
If you want to live near the metrolink, you are not going to want to live anywhere along the line between Delmar and airport, including UMSL. There are some places to live around there, but it's still not a great neighborhood.

I'm going to recommend that you just stay away from that idea completely and live in a suburb to the west of I-170 (Maryland Heights, Overland, St. Ann) or north of the airport (Bridgeton, Hazelwood, Florissant) and use only the bus because by the time you get down to a safer neighborhood near the metrolink the rent will be higher.

But really, St. Louis is not public transportation-friendly. Save some of that sweet coin you'll be making as a contractor and buy a cheap car.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:14 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
^Higher in those neighborhoods, sure. But it should still be very easy to stay within his stated $700 budget near the Delmar, Forest Park and even Central West End stops.

If I weren't going to have a car, I'd want to live in an all-around more walkable neighborhood so that I wouldn't feel terribly isolated -- especially in a city where I knew no one.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 19,416 times
Well I looked at a room today down on 14 and Pine for $425. It was a nice apartment that someone was looking for a roomate. I walked the neighborhood and other than Washington Ave, there wasnt too much more to see other than a lot of big empty and govt buildings. I may look at a place near Westport tomorrow. I'd really like a neighborhood that has lots of options to walk around to eat, drink and shop. But something safe and close to the Metrolink.
Appreciate all the recommendations!

Old 03-16-2012, 12:26 AM

18 posts, read 41,867 times
Near Westport is a pretty nice area. Depending on where it actually is you could potentially be able to walk to everything on your list except the metrolink, unfortunately that's nowhere nearby.

Another option for you might be to carpool to work, or vanpool. A lot of people at Boeing use this option, just google RideFinders.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:38 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonskids View Post
Well I looked at a room today down on 14 and Pine for $425. It was a nice apartment that someone was looking for a roomate. I walked the neighborhood and other than Washington Ave, there wasnt too much more to see other than a lot of big empty and govt buildings. I may look at a place near Westport tomorrow. I'd really like a neighborhood that has lots of options to walk around to eat, drink and shop. But something safe and close to the Metrolink.
Appreciate all the recommendations!
Then Westport is not the place..at all. Try the neighborhoods around the Delmar Loop (University city, part of it in St. Louis city) for an area that is extremely walkable yet close to several metro stations. The Central West End and south city near Tower Grove park are other good options.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Then Westport is not the place..at all. Try the neighborhoods around the Delmar Loop (University city, part of it in St. Louis city) for an area that is extremely walkable yet close to several metro stations. The Central West End and south city near Tower Grove park are other good options.
I agree with this. I still think the loop or the Central West End is by far your best option, OP.

I bet you'd be looking at an hour and a half or longer bus ride from Westport to Boeing and there's very little to do there. Definitely more suburban in nature and with the commuting distance by bus to work simply wouldn't make much sense.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:55 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
Is the metro close to TGS? I didn't think so, but I might be mistaken...as a typical county resident, I normally only take it to baseball/football games. The Central West End and the Loop would both be great locations for being close to attractions, dining, and transportation.

I'm a big fan of my car, but I know many people aren't...I call them communist (jk) but I can't stand not having freedom of transportation and relying on someone else's schedule. Westport is a nice area, but unless you're directly attached to Westport plaza, it might be somewhat tough to walk anywhere...If you were at some of the surrounding apartments, you'd likely find a carpool easy, but then you still have to get to the riderfinders lot (where they keep the van) or find a carpool and make it to their house (or have them agree to pick you up daily). Carpooling would likely be easy, as many boeing employees will occupy Maryland Heights, and there are probably fewer who occupy the CWE and the Loop...while I'm sure there are some, it may be harder to come across them.

I'd also be willing to throw Brentwood, and any of the surrounding apartments there on your list. You'll have shopping, lots of food, metro access (depending on how far you are away)...after reaching North Hanley Station you'll still have to work out a bus transfer to get close to Boeing, but it'd be doable...If you took the metro all the way to the airport, you could probably bike the remaining distance, but expect several miles. Cypress/Natural Bridge to Lindbergh Blvd, the North on Lindbergh for another two miles...It'd be doable, but I knew a guy who bicycled from Ballwin to his job in Downtown...Now that's what I'd call commuting.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:57 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,405 times
^TGS is close to the Grand metro stop. I'd agree with that Brentwood is worth a look and so is Maplewood.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:17 AM

^It's harder right now while the Grand viaduct is still closed. Should be open by early summer if I recal correctly though.

Regardless, given that the OP will already have a bus ride tacked onto the end of his metro commute, I think it would be best to live in super close proximity to a stop on the front end of his commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis