Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 04:43 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymaric View Post
Interesting, I was actually in Sarajevo in 2010 and its nothing like Saint Louis. All the buildings have been pretty much rebuilt and life is progressing. Any country that has homelessness, slums, run down buildings, people begging on the street, is a 3rd world country. Also, I'm not European, my mom is from Europe so I'm half. I'm from the USA and I have been privileged to visit many European Countries, Israel, and Australia and none of those countries have the level of 3rd world we have within the USA. Just because you're living in the 1st world, doesn't mean everyone in this country is, just take a look around. Saint Louis is a slum, a 1st world nation doesn't have certain nice neighborhoods and then a slumy part of town. First world nations are NICE, everywhere.
Ok, now you're being extremely unrealistic and I'm really questioning how well traveled you are. A 1st world nation doesn't have nice neighborhoods and then a slumy part of town? I can't believe I read that. Please name me a single medium to large city in the United States that meets that criteria. New York, Chicago, LA, Philly, Washington - ALL have horrible slums that are in many cases just as bad as St. Louis' are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 05:31 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
dude you took it too far i don't believe you been all over the world and say east st. louis is third world.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:51 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,274 times
Honestly, if you live in the good part of St. Louis you'll probably never see the worst parts (North City and ESL). I've lived here just over 6 months and have never even been to East St. Louis and only driven through North City once. There's no reason to. To the OP, you can't choose to not live in a city just because it has a few bad parts. That's ridiculous. If that were the case every major city in America would be off the list because they ALL have slums.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:24 AM

272 posts, read 786,449 times
Quote:
Saint Louis is a slum, a 1st world nation doesn't have certain nice neighborhoods and then a slumy part of town. First world nations are NICE, everywhere.
I call shenanigans. You've not traveled as extensively as you say, don't even try to mitigate your own biases, or are trolling to rile the locals. Travelers usually don't speak in such absolute terms.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:56 PM

19 posts, read 57,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Ok, now you're being extremely unrealistic and I'm really questioning how well traveled you are. A 1st world nation doesn't have nice neighborhoods and then a slumy part of town? I can't believe I read that. Please name me a single medium to large city in the United States that meets that criteria. New York, Chicago, LA, Philly, Washington - ALL have horrible slums that are in many cases just as bad as St. Louis' are.

Interesting, I have a youtube channel, with all of my video's uploaded. My relatives are in Germany, Austria, England, Croatia, Bosnia, Australia & Canada. I also have a cousin in Israel. I have nearly 5,900 subscribers on my channel. You clearly have never been outside of the USA, and you base your troll opinions on what you view on American TV. Travel the 1st world, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm_ad View Post
You can look at any of the richest cities in the US and they ALL have slums. A completely stupid statement, just like the OP.

And one of the problems with this board are the number of first-time troll accounts that we see posting this garbage. I am not sure if the other boards are like this but I think this is the work of a single, disgruntled person who seemingly has a lot of free time. Oh, and they post late, like they are on the West Coast. Hmmmm, know anyone like that?
Another know it all troll, you don't know anything about me. I have free time? It only took a few minutes out of my night to post this, obviously you have the same amount of free time. Are you single and disgruntled? I'm not on the west coast, either. Stop making assumptions, you'll always be wrong. I'm not stupid, at all. Nice try though, obviously you're so angry and bitter, you spew your hate via a forum. Get out there, see the world. Do something with yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskirwin View Post
I call shenanigans. You've not traveled as extensively as you say, don't even try to mitigate your own biases, or are trolling to rile the locals. Travelers usually don't speak in such absolute terms.
You're a troll, the biggest one of them all. First off, all of my travels are uploaded via youtube and I get paid! There is no standard for a person who has been around, I can have an opinion, regardless if you agree with it or not. Clean up your nasty city! Get a job! Travel the world, and you'll know exactly what I'm chatting about. But I doubt you can afford to leave your own town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Honestly, if you live in the good part of St. Louis you'll probably never see the worst parts (North City and ESL). I've lived here just over 6 months and have never even been to East St. Louis and only driven through North City once. There's no reason to. To the OP, you can't choose to not live in a city just because it has a few bad parts. That's ridiculous. If that were the case every major city in America would be off the list because they ALL have slums.
I can chose where to live, and where not to live. How can you tell me I cant do that? As if I don't live in a free world? If I see an excess amount of things I dislike about a place, I would NEVER, and I mean NEVER live there! Saint Louis, is a slum that I would never reside in! Such a 3rd world place, shame on our country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Interesting, I never posted anything about the USA being first world. Its not, never has been. There are people who live in 1st world America, but millions living in the 2nd and 3rd world. This is not a first world nation, its a mixed bag nation. Travel to the EU, Canada, Israel, and several other countries, and you'll see all their cities have NO SLUM whatsoever. The USA is only nice, glamorous, prosperous, wealthy, on TV. Not everyone lives that lifestyle. Now in other nations, you cant even tell who is wealthy or poor. Everyone is the same, and that is the definition of a functioning country.

I am lucky enough to have been in 20 different USA states and 11 different countries abroad. The places I've been to abroad, are nicer than places here. Travel, you'll see!

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 03-20-2012 at 06:54 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 04:20 PM

136 posts, read 265,096 times
Quote:
Another know it all troll, you don't know anything about me.
Actually this tells everybody everything we need to know about you. I seriously doubt you know the definition of a thrid world country since even European countries have areas that are rundown, crime-ridden, and poverty stricken as well.

"All right so I am making the decision to move to a nice small town in Louisiana. I lived in Florida for some time and really loved the nature and beauty of central Florida. I'm looking for a small, walkable town in Southern Louisiana preferably. What is your best suggestion for me?

So I will give some information, I'm 24 years old single white male and I do not know how to drive a car and I do not have family (grew up in foster care & I'm semi color blind, but I have vision its just somewhat blochy blurry). I don't have friends, and I live in the major city Chicago but really isolated from others, so there is nothing for me to lose. I want to relocate to a small town, without the excess amount of crime we have in chicago. I am not looking for pitty or attention, the reason why I'm giving some background is because most people are out of touch with the reality of some individuals. So please don't suggest I ask for help from family, or how terrible life without a car will be. Or that I ask friends, etc., people are often shocked when I explain that I don't know how to drive (even in Chicago, believe me).

The most important things for me are, safety (I stay indoors most of the time because I don't like crime) a small town that is AFFORDABLE, a place with less opportunity is okay. Must be walkable, I don't want to live in the middle of a Swamp (it would be great, if I had the ability to drive). I also love riding bicycles and I'm very active and love the outdoors, and somewhat good looking(I always get compliments for passers by). I am not looking to relocate to meet people that accept me, or for friendships. I'd like to experience a safe and nice town that is small and friendly. Must have a walmart and medical services along with other stores. I want to build a life and possibly a future for myself. I am also addicted to the gym so a place with a gym would be great. I also don't drink alcohol and I'm not involved with drugs or cigarettes, and I heard the drug scene is huge in a lot of places in Louisiana. I don't want to get mixed up with that lifestyle or live in the middle of a drug war
."

Old 03-20-2012, 04:46 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,405 times
Well I'm sure the OP has a barrage of criticism coming his way so I'll go easy but..

1) The USA is absolutely a first world country. That is not debatable. You will not find a single person, especially an educated professional, who disagrees with that. Google "first world" and find me a single link that says otherwise. You wouldn't be more wrong if you insisted the sun revolves around the Earth.

2) Your overly defensive responses and troll-calling is a bit much. Relax.

3) All countries have slums to some degree. To suggest otherwise is laughable. You really lose all credibility when you post that.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:06 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times
Quote:
I am shocked, okay so we drove through Saint Louis and spent some time there (me and an ex friend) and the outside of Saint Louis was nice, but once we hit the city it was a completely different story. I have never seen so many slums and run down buildings ever.... I couldn't believe my eyes. I have been all over the world, and never seen something like what I saw in East Saint louis and Downtown Saint Louis. There were some nice buildings in the loft district, which was exciting and I loved the Metrolink trains everywhere. What I am having trouble understanding, is how did this city fall apart? Why are so many people living under terrible conditions? There is great public transit and jobs everywhere, and the Bosnian community proved potential definitely lies within Saint Louis. So with transportation and job options, why are people choosing to destroy Saint Louis? What is life in Saint louis like?

I am half Bosnian, so I was very excited to experience Saint Louis. I just couldn't believe what I saw. Great suburbs, beautiful downtown many amazing buildings. I just couldn't get over the urban decay. I hope and wish Saint Louis has a bright future ahead of it. It is a city, where people can move and create a beautiful life. I just wish it were as beautiful as some other cities.
Yes, St Louis is indeed a vibrant beautiful town, filled with some amazing people & powerful companies… however, like so many things in life, there is the opposing forces, such as historical BS, incompetent leadership, lazy slackers / takers, etc. St Louis fell apart due to that, due to 'white flight', due to suburban sprawl, due to changing times, due to many other factors - very similar to many other cities / towns. However, to call StL "3rd world",,, well, maybe some parts in the area could be, but to say that EU and Canada (to use just two of your examples) don't have such is a very big leap of faith… really, Canada or the EU doesn't have any city similar to StL's ills? Wrong. But, to end this on a positive note,,, yes, there are those by their inactions (at the least) are helping StL destroy itself, but there are many others that have ideas about how to make this city, all parts of it, better. Just takes strong leadership, capital, faith (not the religious version), and positive people.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:31 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,274 times
I think we should all stop feeding the troll. He's either trying to get a rise out of us or just very, very delusional. I think perhaps a bit of both.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,677 times
Lazy, ****s Trying to be cool and call themselves gangsters. Thugs in L.A. can't get jobs. In fact the job oppurtunity is declining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis