Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 04:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,491 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to St. Louis sometimes in the fall and I'm just wondering what areas I should stay away from. I've visited friends there and I like it so, I don't need any "city-bashing". lol I already know what it looks like and all that. All input would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 11:21 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,859,989 times
It depends, do you like urban? suburban? old? new? where will you be working?
If you are in your 20's, live in Soulard, Downtown (Washington Avenue), Central West End, Tower Grove South, Dogtown or The Loop

Old 03-24-2012, 10:13 PM

3,483 posts, read 8,976,477 times
Moving to St. Louis or Delaware? Saw your other thread in their forum. As a mid 20's female it'll really just depend where you find work, and if you want urban or suburban and what your rent range is. If you answer those questions I'm sure someone will be able to lend some advice...as to where to avoid, North St. Louis City and East St. Louis, IL. Do that, and you'll be alright, but ask before you sign a lease.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:39 AM

230 posts, read 384,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Moving to St. Louis or Delaware? Saw your other thread in their forum. As a mid 20's female it'll really just depend where you find work, and if you want urban or suburban and what your rent range is. If you answer those questions I'm sure someone will be able to lend some advice...as to where to avoid, North St. Louis City and East St. Louis, IL. Do that, and you'll be alright, but ask before you sign a lease.
I disagree with the blanket suggestion that she avoid North city. She should check out Old North St. Louis Restoration Group | Working to build an Urban Village on the Edge of Downtown St. Louis :: Home for a great North city neighborhood.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:54 AM

3,483 posts, read 8,976,477 times
Yes, ONSL is always brought up as a reason to move to the north side...forget that it's a very small neighborhood surrounded by blight, and while that is true, I will agree that it's an excellent neighborhood. Now if I was attempting to give real solid advice and make a blanket statement, I think I'd stick to exactly what I said "Avoid North St. Louis and East St. Louis". I could probably even modify that statement a tad "Avoid North St. Louis with the exception of ONSL, if you feel interested." The rest is ok with small exceptions, so if the OP finds a particular neighborhood they like, or address they're interested in, ask about that specific neighborhood.

The major issue I see with ONSL is stated at the beginning, it's small and not really well connected to any other part of the metro making it somewhat isolated. There's been some revival in the area, new building, and good neighborhood cooperation to help pull things together. However, I think to all but the "urban pioneer" the area wouldn't be overly appealing. The surrounding communities aren't very desirable, there are still abandoned buildings that populate the Eastern edge of the neighborhood, and local businesses are improving but still lacking compared with much of the metro. Hopefully ONSL can continue to make improvements, and expand their influence of a cohesive Northside, but I think that's still many years away...I do love Crown Candy though

Old 03-25-2012, 04:31 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,859,989 times
^You have a point. I don't think the average poster would be comfortable in ONSL. I personally would, and it would be fun to be part of a grass roots effort to bring a neighborhood back to life. However, I doubt anyone renting would care about that.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 AM

230 posts, read 384,749 times
It's a disservice to all of ONSL's original residents to call newcomers as urban pioneers.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,528,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanb View Post
I'm moving to St. Louis sometimes in the fall and I'm just wondering what areas I should stay away from. I've visited friends there and I like it so, I don't need any "city-bashing". lol I already know what it looks like and all that. All input would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!
It will just totally depend on what you're looking for, where you'll be working and what your budget is.

I always suggest newcomer's look through these great neighborhood guides a local blogger put together -- St. Louis city itself has 79 separate and unique neighborhoods, so finding one you love is really just a matter of doing your research! You could spend many days reading through all the guides Mark has made: St. Louis City Talk

And feel free to come back as you have more specific questions. Best of luck with your move!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:37 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,839,096 times
shanb: Where are you moving from, and where in St. Louis do your friends live? Again, as others have said, it depends what demographic you fall into what areas you may enjoy more than others. I'm glad to hear you're moving to St. Louis at the end of the year! (Me tooo! Technically moving *back* though!) I hope you love it as much as I did/do!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 PM

711 posts, read 2,102,220 times
If it were me, I would avoid north county and north city. Aside from that, depends on all of the other factors that people are mentioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: