U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 12:49 AM

39 posts, read 44,597 times

Advertisements

Just curious, even though 1983 is my favorite earliest year, and even though January 1, 1983 is my favorite earliest date, but since the Cardinals won the World Series last year, do you have any memories of the 1982 World Series when the Cardinals beat the Brewers in 1982 with manager Whitey Herzog and players like Bruce Sutter, Keith Hernandez, Joaquin Andujar, Ozzie Smith, Tom Herr, Willie McGee, Darrell Porter, etc. (and besides when Bruce Sutter of the Cardinals struck out Gorman Thomas of the Brewers to win the 1982 World Series)?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 11:20 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,114,055 times
I have a memory that I though the 85 and 87 teams were both much better then the 82 team.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:55 AM

7,323 posts, read 6,287,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sross1800 View Post
Just curious, even though 1983 is my favorite earliest year, and even though January 1, 1983 is my favorite earliest date, but since the Cardinals won the World Series last year, do you have any memories of the 1982 World Series when the Cardinals beat the Brewers in 1982 with manager Whitey Herzog and players like Bruce Sutter, Keith Hernandez, Joaquin Andujar, Ozzie Smith, Tom Herr, Willie McGee, Darrell Porter, etc. (and besides when Bruce Sutter of the Cardinals struck out Gorman Thomas of the Brewers to win the 1982 World Series)?
I was fortunate my Dad took me to two games that series, the first and the sixth. We were wiped out in the 1st game, which we attended with a cousin of mine from Milwaukee. Fortunately, we won the 6th.

That was a great team. Willie McGhee quickly became my favorite player.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 AM

12,063 posts, read 29,790,279 times
I wasn't yet alive but I know my mother had a huge crush on Sutter. He was kind of a goofy looking guy, but I think it's easy to forget that when he's picthing so well.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:34 AM

8,547 posts, read 18,860,239 times
My memory of that World Series was Gorman Thomas smoking a cigarette in the dugout. I never had much admiration for baseball players as athletes, and scenes like those only reaffirmed my suspicions! After the two day work stoppage of 1985, I really gave up on the game entirely. The last time I actually watched part of a game was the 1991 Pirates-Braves National League series. But I digress, I remember the players back then regularly smoked and drank beer in the clubhouse after game. Keith Hernandez comes to mind almost immediately. I think he was on the Cards in 1982 if memory serves me.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:10 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,114,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
My memory of that World Series was Gorman Thomas smoking a cigarette in the dugout. I never had much admiration for baseball players as athletes, and scenes like those only reaffirmed my suspicions! After the two day work stoppage of 1985, I really gave up on the game entirely. The last time I actually watched part of a game was the 1991 Pirates-Braves National League series. But I digress, I remember the players back then regularly smoked and drank beer in the clubhouse after game. Keith Hernandez comes to mind almost immediately. I think he was on the Cards in 1982 if memory serves me.
Unfortunately Keith was doing a lot more than smoking and drinking when he was with the Cards.

That's funny I also remember Gorman Thomas smoking in the dugout.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Unfortunately Keith was doing a lot more than smoking and drinking when he was with the Cards.

That's why Whitey traded him to the NY Mets for the legendary Neill Allen. Whitey was the best, but what a lousy trade and in our own division no less.

Recently saw a rerun of the Seinfeld episode guest starring Hernandez that spoofed Oliver Stone's JFK movie with Rodney McDowell spitting on Kramer and Newman. Good stuff.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:55 PM

8,547 posts, read 18,860,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post

This post knocked a memory out of my brain, back to when I was a 20 year old kid. My dad had somehow gotten me four box seats for the Mets in 1986, so me and 3 friends drive to Shea Stadium. My dad actually had to beg me to take the tickets, and one of my friends from south Jersey was a big Phillies fan, so he ended up showing interest, and I wound up going, with no aspirations about the game. The seats are literally two rows in front of the Mets dugout. Anyways, there was another group of VERY unruly, drunk, obnoxious fans seated in front of us, in the front row of the Mets dugout. I don't remember if these were Phillies fans, or if they were just in the mood to insult EVERYTHING, but at one point, they were taking their inflatable bats and knocking them on the dugout, (at one point, they hit a security guard who was on the verge of removing them) and hurling insults at every Met player that was coming out onto the field. At one point, Keith Hernandez is on the on deck circle, and these fans started screaming at him that he should change his name to Keith Richards. It was at this point he gave the fans the good old Hawaiian peace sign. And, after a few more obnoxious gestures, they finally were removed by security.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This post knocked a memory out of my brain, back to when I was a 20 year old kid. My dad had somehow gotten me four box seats for the Mets in 1986, so me and 3 friends drive to Shea Stadium. My dad actually had to beg me to take the tickets, and one of my friends from south Jersey was a big Phillies fan, so he ended up showing interest, and I wound up going, with no aspirations about the game. The seats are literally two rows in front of the Mets dugout. Anyways, there was another group of VERY unruly, drunk, obnoxious fans seated in front of us, in the front row of the Mets dugout. I don't remember if these were Phillies fans, or if they were just in the mood to insult EVERYTHING, but at one point, they were taking their inflatable bats and knocking them on the dugout, (at one point, they hit a security guard who was on the verge of removing them) and hurling insults at every Met player that was coming out onto the field. At one point, Keith Hernandez is on the on deck circle, and these fans started screaming at him that he should change his name to Keith Richards. It was at this point he gave the fans the good old Hawaiian peace sign. And, after a few more obnoxious gestures, they finally were removed by security.
I remember a drunken college spree with a dozen fraternity brothers of mine to watch the cards beat the hated Mets in 1987 when the Cardinals won in extra innings on a walk off home run by Tommy Herr. It was seat cushion day and let me tell you it rained seat cushions down on the field after Herr hit that home run. I could be wrong, but I don't think they've had another seat cushion day since. For a stretch there, the hated mets surpassed the cubs as public enemy number one for Cardinal nation.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 PM

140 posts, read 252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
... For a stretch there, the hated mets surpassed the cubs as public enemy number one for Cardinal nation.
The Pond Scum?

I was a Sophomore in HS during the '82 World Series, and didn't follow baseball prior to that. But the guy that sat in front of me in Biology kept our class up-to-date on how the series was going, and that sparked my love of baseball (Cardinals baseball, specifically; MLB, generally).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis