Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementine.jones View Post
Distance from downtown doesn't matter too much to me. I work from home and my husband will be working on the northernmost piece of the Chesterfield Parkway. He has a job that requires a lot of travel and long hours, so I really want to live in a place that minimizes his commute time so he can maximize his time with our two young kids.

We are avid hikers and our family enjoys the outdoors. It would be nice to have access to a nearby park or walking trails. My oldest daughter loves swimming so it would be nice to have a neighborhood pool, or be in close proximity to the Y or a community center with a pool. (Wouldn't rule out a house with a pool, either, but it's not a "must-have."

I would also like a neighborhood where my kids can run around and play with the neighbor kids. They are social butterflys

I'm also a "yard person" -- I like gardening and spending time outside in my yard.

It's good to hear that the schools are good in all of the areas that we're considering. My oldest daughter is very smart, but if she is not challenged she gets bored and gets in trouble for socializing. She needs teachers that will challenge her with advanced material once she gets the hang of the easier stuff.
After reading through all of this I still stand by my initial suggestion -- find something close to hubby's work. Not only because it will be an easy commute for him that will allow him as much time with the family as possible, but also because I think it's genuinely the area you'll like best. If you head farther out I think you'll lose some of the sense of community you're looking for -- sort of the problem with those big lots, but you should still be able to get you something of adequate size that will give you space to play and garden as much as your heart desires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,603 times
Wink Buying in St. Louis area

I would recommend Greatschools.org for help on parents opinions on the programs at each of the schools. I have found that the more parent involvment there is, the more comments you will have to look over on the site.
When you are ready to compare the homes that you would be offered in each area please try this Free Search-yourself site [URL="http://www.melissboyer.listingbook.com"]www.melissboyer.listingbook.com[/URL]

I would be glad to give you information on the homes that interest you.
Thanks and happy searching!

Melissa

Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you about Rockwood. I don't know about the Suzuki program, whether it is still ongoing. Here is the Rockwood site. I recommend going there for information: Rockwood School District

We read about the audit. It sounds as if Rockwood and Glenn Construction were too cozy for a number of years. I don't know how it affected the quality of instruction. I would send kids to the district in a heartbeat though. Before we moved to Wildwood, we lived in NW County and kids went to Hazelwood. Rockwood was amazingly better in every respect. I recommend visiting the schools to see what you think.

I agree with another poster who said that you don't need to enroll your kids in private schools if you live in West County. I'd recommend Rockwood, Parkway or Kirkwood districts. I understand that the Pattonville district has also improved tremendously in the last decade or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis