Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 PM

3,483 posts, read 8,959,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
...My IKEA dressers in my kids rooms NEVER came off their track and were in great shape structurally 4-5 years after purchasing them.

I'm not someone that wants to spend ANY money on furniture. To me it's simply a necessity to store my stuff in and make my house look not empty....
4-5 years really isn't a great test of time as far as I'd be concerned. It's good that it's held up for that long, but that's essentially at throw-away furniture value still. I just recently got rid of a Walmart TV stand, made of cheap compressed wood which I purchased in 2004-2005. It had ZERO damage to it when I finally ditched it for a better quality TV stand. I also have some Thomasville bedroom set materials that are of fantastic quality. The units were purchased during the early 1990's, about 92 maybe 93 at the latest...they've moved from my parent's first home, to their newer home, to my college, through a couple dorm rooms and an apartment, and to my two homes over the course of almost 20 years, and they show NO WEAR! Granted, they were adult owned, but good quality stuff will last far longer than 4 or 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:22 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,828,662 times
My furniture is all from the 1950s, and it looks as beautiful right now as the day it sat in the Macy's showroom (the majority of it I bought from an elderly lady who was moving into a Nursing Home, she and her husband had bought it all brand new in 1956 from Macy's, I've since added to it with pieces from the same collection- Drexel Counterpoint by John Van Koert that I've been fortunate enough to come across. It's all incredible, solid, Mahogany and Cherry with brass hardware).

I probably paid less for this lot, than I would have had I outfitted my entire home with IKEA. (Even though it's worth a lot, bargains are out there if you're willing to invest the time in looking for them.)

scocar: I agree that for a kids room it's reasonable to just want something that will do in the meantime, but sometimes you can buy solid, quality stuff at a more affordable price than Ikea, and it will probably stand the test of time a lot better as well.

I never plan on giving up my furniture, as absurd as it sounds to be attached to something so materialistic. Since a series of events a few years back, forcing me to start over (yet again), I made the decision that this time I'd accumulate furniture and things that would hold their value and still be useful for the rest of my life. Thankfully, I've managed to do it at a bargain thus far, yet I'll get decades more worth out of it, than I would having to replace some flat pack piece every 10 years.

Caeser was correct in saying that in Europe and Australasia, Ikea is very much 'starting out' furniture, it's what you have when you're in college or in your first apartment. I think the American devotion to it is mainly because it's European, so henceforth considered trendy and fashionable.

I'm not meaning to offend anyone's decisions or tastes here by the way, this is purely my personal choice and outlook. It's each to their own

Old 05-03-2012, 01:26 PM

flynavyj: Thomasville is good stuff I've seen some Thomasville from the 1960s before, and would definitely consider supplementing my furniture with it, once I move into a larger house in St. Louis. It's beautiful!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,838,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
flynavyj: Thomasville is good stuff I've seen some Thomasville from the 1960s before, and would definitely consider supplementing my furniture with it, once I move into a larger house in St. Louis. It's beautiful!
I have a fabulous dining room set from Thomasville, it was made in the early 70s, the only thing I have ever had to do was have the chairs reupholstered.
I also have a chest of drawers from Thomasville from the 60s....my MIL had painted it s**t brown(dont ask).
I stripped it, it was flame mahogany underneath.
I am of the belief that one buys the very best one can afford, and keep it forever.
I tell my design clients the same thing.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:49 PM

kshegirl: People are evidently listening to you! (And other's with your wisdom!)
Furniture Brands swings to a profit in the first quarter

Furniture Brands is the St. Louis based company that currently owns Thomasville Furniture

Old 05-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
kshegirl: People are evidently listening to you! (And other's with your wisdom!)
Furniture Brands swings to a profit in the first quarter

Furniture Brands is the St. Louis based company that currently owns Thomasville Furniture
I sure do know who they are, they are the first booth I head to when I go to market in High Point.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:56 PM

172 posts, read 507,872 times
Of all places, Northwest Plaza? I do not think that the demographics in St. Ann would meet the requirements of the Ikea executives for them to want to put a store in that area. I would imagine that Ikea would fit better in Clayton or Richmond Heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
I heard a rumor this week that they are talking about bulldozing Northwest Plaza, and turning it into big-box shopping stores including an IKEA. Has anyone else heard this?

Old 05-03-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenciti View Post
Of all places, Northwest Plaza? I do not think that the demographics in St. Ann would meet the requirements of the Ikea executives for them to want to put a store in that area. I would imagine that Ikea would fit better in Clayton or Richmond Heights.
Meh, the IKEA in Orlando is right in the middle of a sharply transitioning zone.
Mall of Millenia on one side, gangbangers on the other.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 PM

In Brisbane, Australia, the IKEA was DEFINITELY in one of the lower class areas of town (it was near Woodridge, which had about 35% unemployment, and was a very, very, low class/ low blue collar neighborhood). It was about an hour on the freeway from where I lived, although it always seemed to be busy.

If that's anything to go by, then St. Ann would definitely be a step *up* if they chose to build there. Like I said though, been hearing it for years, so not holding my breath!!!

Old 05-03-2012, 04:00 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,485,827 times
There are two in Chicago and one of them is in Bolingbrook which is pretty similar in socioeconomics to Northwest County except waaaaay farther from the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis