Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 01:32 AM

16 posts, read 39,204 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about "The Grove" area? Specifically the Front Doors properties?

Here's a link to their page. Apartments and Lofts in Saint Louis - Close to SLU and Washington University | FrontDoor, LLC

Is this area safe? Safety is my prime concern in moving to Saint Louis!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 08:01 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,609,042 times
If safety is your prime concern, I wouldn't move to the Grove just yet. You can do a search of this forum for more information, but it's a great area with a lot of fun bars, but it's still in the process of gentrifying and crime, including violent crime, is somewhat higher here than in other parts of the city. For a similar price point you could be in Tower Grove or Shaw and be safer.

Check out the neighborhood guides done by this blogger: St. Louis City Talk

Where will you be working and what's your budget? If you share a few more details we can offer better suggestions. Good luck; there's a ton of great neighborhoods in St. Louis to choose from!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:10 AM

I just read your other thread and see that you're looking for a place run by a property management company because you won't have time to visit before signing a lease. That will be harder, but not impossible, in TGS or Shaw.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:16 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,186 times
The Grove at the moment is something of a neighborhood for "urban pioneers." It's definitely gentrifying, but still a bit rough around the edges. That being said, there are a lot of really nice rehabbed properties sprinkled throughout, and Front Door owns quite a few of them. I wouldn't call it extremely safe, however. If safety is your #1 concern then you should be looking in SW City (St. Louis Hills, Southampton, Northampton, etc.). It's more suburban than the rest of the city but it's as safe or safer than any of the County suburbs. If you want a more urban neighborhood that's still reasonably safe look into the CWE, Downtown, Lafayette Square, Soulard, or Tower Grove South.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:16 PM

551 posts, read 3,122,030 times
I live in The Grove and I'd agree with the things above, with a little less emphasis on the crime. It really varies on a block-by-block basis; I live on a block with almost all rehabbed properties. My neighbors on both sides are doctors at Barnes-Jewish and are fantastic people. Go a block over though, and I wouldn't really feel safe walking through during the daytime. My landlord (Grove Properties) noted that a lot of doctors/hospital staff have been moving into the area due to The Grove's proximity to Barnes, as well as a lot of young professionals. There are a lot of really cool bars and restaurants here, and I'd definitely agree that it's up-and-coming. You'll see tons of cyclists, too. It's sort of hipster-ish, if I had to label it. "Up-and-coming" is the key phrase here, though. I think the crime factor can be argued both ways: on one hand, I've never had any issues whatsoever as a young female living alone and I've never felt terribly unsafe, although I wouldn't walk at night by myself. But, no one should ever walk alone at night in St. Louis--anywhere. Yes, there are vehicle thefts and break-ins all the time, but when you leave a backpack or purse in plain view, what do you expect? Utilize common street smarts. I really do love living in The Grove. There's such a diverse group of people here, and quite a unique neighborhood camaraderie.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:59 PM

^Would you mind sharing where you live? I've been over there a lot trying to figure out the block-by-block status, but it can be a bit tricky to ascertain until you've spent a ton of time in the area. I've been saying north of Manchester is better than south for a while, and the closer to Manchester the better, but haven't yet gotten a solid feel otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: