Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 07:09 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,371 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family of four may have to move to st. louis area. I have been reading posts from this website to try learn more, but as someone who has never been to MO I would like to see if there are neighborhoods you recommend. Some of the things I would look to find are good school district as i have two elementary school-aged children who thus far have been going to a parochial school here in NY. I don't necessarily need a catholic school for them unless the school district is not great. we love going to parks, beach, museums, movie theaters etc. our budget is up to 600k.
i see the recommendations are kirkwood and webster groves though i looked on zillow.com for our budget kirkwood fits the bill.
can you tell me about people in MO? are they friendly? are they open to new friendships, easy to approach etc.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 07:44 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,863 times
Kirkwood or WG would be great! They're really nice, established suburbs with cute downtowns that are still pretty close to the city. 600k would get you an awesome house there. You might not even have to go that high to get something good. The cost of living here is much cheaper than NY. I don't know much about school districts in STL but people on this forum say that the schools there are good. Plus there's a TON of Catholic schools in the metro area that would probably be even better (STL is very Catholic). You won't find any beaches around here, but STL has some really top notch museums, theatres, and parks. Forest Park is the largest urban park in the country and is, in a word, stunning. Some people say that St. Louisans are cold and unfriendly, but I haven't found that to be the case at all. I've found people here to be extremely friendly and easy to get along with. I'm always meeting new people and making new friends. The key is to get involved and to be friendly yourself. Midwesterners are generally more laid-back and open to new relationships than Northeasterners (although that's a gross generalization). I think you'll find that there won't be as much culture shock for you in STL given that STL has a more northeastern/rust belt feel to it than other parts of the midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis