U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 03:16 PM

18 posts, read 35,358 times

Advertisements

Hope some locals are able to help me out! My husband has a final interview for a job in downtown St. Louis - looks like a pretty strong possibility - and I'm doing a little research in case we end up moving there. We live in Indianapolis right now. What our dream is...what we'd REALLY like...is to be able to move to "Small Town, U.S.A" but still be a commutable distance from downtown St. Louis.

The dream: a town of under 50,000, lots of outdoor things to do, tight-knit community, quiet, rural...you get the picture. An old house on a few acres. I've looked online at a few places, both around St. Louis and at the extreme western border of Illinois, but I thought I'd try to get some ideas from here, too.

We'd like to keep the commute to under 35 minutes, if possible.

Any suggestions? If this place doesn't exist, what's the closest I can get to 'the dream' around St. Louis?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 05:27 PM

3,931 posts, read 3,640,921 times
On the Missouri side of the river, there's not a lot of towns with a "rural feel" within 30 minutes of downtown St. Louis. But there are some possibilities in Jefferson County, particularly in the Pevely and House Springs areas. Here you can find some scenic settings, with horse farms, creeks, and forested hills. There are plenty of amenties in nearby Festus/Crystal City and Arnold, not to mention south St. Louis County. Also, out in far western portions of St. Louis County, in the Wildwood and Pacific areas, you should be able to find that small town/rural feel you're looking for.

Over on the Illinois side, there are many small town/rural settings within 30 minutes of downtown. These areas tend to be much more flat and agricultural based. Some examples are Milstadt, Waterloo, Lebanon, Mascoutah, Freeburg, and St. Jacob. All of these are small, tight-knit communities. As far as amenities, you'd be within easy reach of larger communties such as Fairview Heights, Belleville, and Collinsville.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:51 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,896,578 times
Jersey County-There are not of large towns if any. Try that
Jefferson County- Hilsboro has farms in some places outside the city limits and has a rural feel to it.

Hilsboro is a hour or more drive from downtown st.louis though so be warned

Old 06-25-2012, 04:28 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,647,023 times
consider Eureka...

Old 06-25-2012, 05:29 AM

18 posts, read 35,358 times
Thanks so much - I'll check those out!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 AM

7,269 posts, read 5,785,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
On the Missouri side of the river, there's not a lot of towns with a "rural feel" within 30 minutes of downtown St. Louis. But there are some possibilities in Jefferson County, particularly in the Pevely and House Springs areas. Here you can find some scenic settings, with horse farms, creeks, and forested hills. There are plenty of amenties in nearby Festus/Crystal City and Arnold, not to mention south St. Louis County. Also, out in far western portions of St. Louis County, in the Wildwood and Pacific areas, you should be able to find that small town/rural feel you're looking for.

Over on the Illinois side, there are many small town/rural settings within 30 minutes of downtown. These areas tend to be much more flat and agricultural based. Some examples are Milstadt, Waterloo, Lebanon, Mascoutah, Freeburg, and St. Jacob. All of these are small, tight-knit communities. As far as amenities, you'd be within easy reach of larger communties such as Fairview Heights, Belleville, and Collinsville.

I agree with this. In Missouri, I'd add Washington, Missouri, and nice little self-contained Missouri river town. However, it's a further drive (45 minutes to 1 hour).

I agree the Illinois side would have more within 30 minutes. My personal favorities are Mascoutah, Milstadt and Waterloo.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 AM

36 posts, read 80,872 times
I'll add one note of caution about those small towns in Jefferson and the southern counties: A while back, those were the meth capitals of Missouri. Not sure what the current status is, but just wanted to mention that.

Missouri regains unwanted claim to fame: Meth Capital : News : ConnectMidMissouri.com

Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,451,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I agree with this. In Missouri, I'd add Washington, Missouri, and nice little self-contained Missouri river town. However, it's a further drive (45 minutes to 1 hour).

I agree the Illinois side would have more within 30 minutes. My personal favorities are Mascoutah, Milstadt and Waterloo.

Plenty of neat little towns on the outer fringes. I actually liked Defiance, Mo for its slight hippie/old timer aesthetic. Close to Wine Country, too - but about 45 minutes to an hour from the City.

I loved living in Lake Saint Louis and have made it to the City in under 40 minutes (on a good day). I wish it had a "downtown village" area but it had all the outdoor/boating amenities that i needed.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 AM

7,269 posts, read 5,785,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Plenty of neat little towns on the outer fringes. I actually liked Defiance, Mo for its slight hippie/old timer aesthetic. Close to Wine Country, too - but about 45 minutes to an hour from the City.

I loved living in Lake Saint Louis and have made it to the City in under 40 minutes (on a good day). I wish it had a "downtown village" area but it had all the outdoor/boating amenities that i needed.
Yes, that whole 94 corridor is pretty nice, good suggestion, although a longer drive than the op originally specified to downtown.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:34 AM

23,417 posts, read 32,951,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Jersey County-There are not of large towns if any. Try that
Jefferson County- Hilsboro has farms in some places outside the city limits and has a rural feel to it.

Hilsboro is a hour or more drive from downtown st.louis though so be warned
Um.....what?
Hillsboro is 20 minutes from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or