Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:45 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times

Advertisements

The area you describe consists mostly of the Holly Hills neighborhood. It's largely residential; it isn't really known for shops, restaurants and coffee houses. Not sure of the demographics, but I'd say it appears to be a nice, well-maintained, stable neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 6,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
The area you describe consists mostly of the Holly Hills neighborhood. It's largely residential; it isn't really known for shops, restaurants and coffee houses. Not sure of the demographics, but I'd say it appears to be a nice, well-maintained, stable neighborhood.

I was looking at places along the 3700 bock of walsh by 37th, I know its got some industrial complex there. But the houses look quaint. So would that be considered safe like holly hills or sketchy like dutchtown?

Last edited by Tivi; 07-31-2012 at 03:34 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 10:52 AM

Although that particular area is technically part of the Holly Hills neighborhood, it has more of the characteristics of the Dutchtown neighborhood. In my opinion, it is not as safe/walkable/desirable as areas further south in Holly Hills.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:27 PM

Oops... In my initial post, I failed to call the New Mississippi River Bridge by its official name: the "Ronald Wilson Reagan Memorial Bridge".
Why Ronald Reagan, you ask? Because Ronnie was born in Tampico, IL, and raised in Dixon, IL-- towns located in the northwestern portion of the state. Who knew that The Gipper was a native son?

I don't expect many of us to actually call the completed bridge by that overly-long official name. Just like St. Louisans don't call the Poplar Street Bridge by its real name, the Bernard F. Dickmann Bridge. Heck, we don't even call it the Poplar Street anymore; it's simply "The PSB" to most.
As for the Ronald Wilson Reagan Memorial Bridge: Personally, I think I'll just call it the I-70.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:02 PM

Another significant project that was recently approved in the city of St. Louis is Jefferson Commons. That's the new name for the soon-to-be-redeveloped retail site at Jefferson at Lafayette (the former Foodland store, which was originally a Kroger.) The anchor tenant will be a Sav A Lot grocery store. The project developer is said to be in negotiations with a big-name fitness center, a sandwich shop, and perhaps even a hardware store.
The main reason this is significant is that a decent-sized grocery store will finally return to this area. Residents of several nearby neighborhoods-- Lafayette Square, the Gate District, LaSalle Park, McKinley Hts., Compton Hts., Fox Park, Benton Park, etc.-- have been deprived of nearby grocers and would gladly support a new Save A Lot. The same goes for a hardware store, if one were to open there. To my knowledge, there are no other hardware stores in any of those surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:02 PM

589 posts, read 1,107,622 times
I wondered when that property of Jefferson would be redeveloped. It really is a great location. I live in the Gate District, and dive home from work on Jefferson - there is a lot of activity there. I would have preferred to see a more full service grocer, but hey it is progress from the old vacant building!

Old 08-09-2012, 03:11 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,863 times
When you say "redevelop" does that mean that they're going to start from scratch and build something with good urban design this time, or are they just going to stick tenants into the current eyesore? (Sorry if that sounds too Negative Nancy).

Old 08-09-2012, 03:29 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
^I'm actually pretty sure I read that they're starting from scratch, but don't quote me on that.

edit: Scratch that; it's a refurb, but what seems to be a decent one. Read more here: http://urbanreviewstl.com/2012/05/sa...erson-commons/

Old 08-09-2012, 06:31 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,863 times
Eh, it looks mediocre. I'm disappointed they're retaining the giant unsightly parking lot and putting a drive through building in it to boot. That kind of development design should be discouraged. And I'd also prefer to see a higher quality grocery store than a Save a Lot. Maybe another Culinaria branch? Or even a Trader Joe's? It seems like the whole thing is suffering from a "better than nothing" attitude, which invariably leads to bad, cheap design on the part of the developers.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:03 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I think it's unrealistic to think you're going to get Trader Joe's to put their first store in the city on Jefferson. It's been empty for more than a decade; you can place me squarely in the "this is better than nothing" camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis