Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 01:04 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times

Advertisements

Vess soda, toasted ravioli, gooey buttercake, Budweiser, 7 up, st. louis-style ribs, maull's bbq sauce, fitz's root beer, among many others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 02:38 AM

22 posts, read 17,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Vess soda, toasted ravioli, gooey buttercake, Budweiser, 7 up, st. louis-style ribs, maull's bbq sauce, fitz's root beer, among many others.
About 7up, It was invented here in St. Louis, but most don't even know that, and I don't see hardly or know many people who even drink it much. I don't mind it, I think it taste okay but mostly I see people drinking coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, or Mountain Ewww. Besides that sodie crap ain't good for you!

Btw you forgot Ted Drews and Gus Pretzels, and Lemp Beer. I assuming you're are talking about more stuff that is sold nationally, and more types of Dishses served?

I hate living in big metro areas, but one good thing about living in bigger cities is the vast choices of different foods vs other areas that are mostly made up of national chains.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:05 AM

8 posts, read 17,850 times
I have only lived in St. Louis for 7 months, but the pizza here is awful. Imo's is gross and I didn't think it could get any worse until I tried Stephania's. We have only been to one bbq place, Bandera's and it was ok, but we moved from Texas so the bar is high. For some reason, bbq is served with a side of toasted bread?! Huh? So far all of the foods that people rave about in St. Louis, I do not like, so I am not a good judge to the ravioli or mostaccolli and I do not understand the obsession with pork steaks. I am looking forward to trying some other places. We also went on a search for good fajitas. I don't remember the name of the place we went to, but they were also awful. Again, the bar is set high on that one. We are used to great Texas texmex!

We have been to crown candy, which was on the Travel Network's Man vs. Food. The ice cream was very good but the place is super crowded. There was a long wait in a very small building so if you want food, you will wait over an hour. Neighborhood is iffy, but there are so many people in line waiting, I felt safe.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCMedley View Post
We have only been to one bbq place, Bandera's and it was ok, but we moved from Texas so the bar is high. For some reason, bbq is served with a side of toasted bread?! Huh?
Must be a Texas thing. I've also had barbeque while living in North Carolina, Florida, and California, and I don't remember a single place not serving bread with bbq. You usually get a choice between cornbread or toasted bread...

Did you go to Bandanas? Yeah, they're okay. More like a chain bbq place though. Do they have Sonny's in Texas? I know they're all over the Southeast, but I don't know if they go that far West. But if so, I always felt like Sonny's was like a Bandanas. Not the best barbeque, but they are all over, so its very convenient.

And Bandana's is the only place in St. Louis so far that we've found boiled peanuts. Coming from the South, my boyfriend loves boiled peanuts, and is used to getting them from roadside vendors. So we'll go to Bandana's anytime he's craving boiled peanuts.

Of course people will recommend Pappy's in midtown for good barbeque. We actually like Bogart's in Soulard a lot better. There is also the Shaved Duck, which I haven't tried yet but I've been wanting to go there for awhile. The July issue of Sauce magazine has their reader's choice awards. Under best bbq there is also PM BBQ, Phil's Bar-B-Que, and Main Street BBQ.

Quote:
We also went on a search for good fajitas. I don't remember the name of the place we went to, but they were also awful. Again, the bar is set high on that one. We are used to great Texas texmex!
I like the Fajita's at Chava's in Soulard. I think they're the only place I've had fajitas around here. We make fajitas at home a lot, so I don't normally order them when I go out.

Quote:
We have been to crown candy, which was on the Travel Network's Man vs. Food. The ice cream was very good but the place is super crowded. There was a long wait in a very small building so if you want food, you will wait over an hour. Neighborhood is iffy, but there are so many people in line waiting, I felt safe.
Its crowded because it was on Man vs. Food. I've been going there my entire life, and never had to wait for a table until last year. It is best to either go right when they open, or go during off times when other people wouldn't be eating.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 AM

529 posts, read 1,009,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Must be a Texas thing. I've also had barbeque while living in North Carolina, Florida, and California, and I don't remember a single place not serving bread with bbq. You usually get a choice between cornbread or toasted bread...

Did you go to Bandanas? Yeah, they're okay. More like a chain bbq place though. Do they have Sonny's in Texas? I know they're all over the Southeast, but I don't know if they go that far West. But if so, I always felt like Sonny's was like a Bandanas. Not the best barbeque, but they are all over, so its very convenient.
Very good comparison, I know Sonny's is all over Florida and it is convenient like Bandana's while Pappy's can be a PITA to deal with the crowds.

And Imo's is just another chain, it's hit or miss but mostly miss. I am hooked on Joe Boccardi's.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFoxFan View Post
About 7up, It was invented here in St. Louis, but most don't even know that, and I don't see hardly or know many people who even drink it much. I don't mind it, I think it taste okay but mostly I see people drinking coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, or Mountain Ewww. Besides that sodie crap ain't good for you!

Btw you forgot Ted Drews and Gus Pretzels, and Lemp Beer. I assuming you're are talking about more stuff that is sold nationally, and more types of Dishses served?

I hate living in big metro areas, but one good thing about living in bigger cities is the vast choices of different foods vs other areas that are mostly made up of national chains.
Yeah, I did forget those. Also, St. Louis style pizza.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCMedley View Post
I have only lived in St. Louis for 7 months, but the pizza here is awful. Imo's is gross and I didn't think it could get any worse until I tried Stephania's. We have only been to one bbq place, Bandera's and it was ok, but we moved from Texas so the bar is high. For some reason, bbq is served with a side of toasted bread?! Huh? So far all of the foods that people rave about in St. Louis, I do not like, so I am not a good judge to the ravioli or mostaccolli and I do not understand the obsession with pork steaks. I am looking forward to trying some other places. We also went on a search for good fajitas. I don't remember the name of the place we went to, but they were also awful. Again, the bar is set high on that one. We are used to great Texas texmex!

lol, if you want good St. Louis style pizza, and IMO's isn't your choice, try Guido's on The Hill or Cecil Whitaker's. Also, I highly recommend Pointer's, Joanie's and Cicero's. I personally like IMO's, but The Hill IMO has some of the best Italian food in the entire country. Joanie's and Cicero's are also very hard to beat.l

Old 07-22-2012, 02:17 PM

529 posts, read 1,009,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
lol, if you want good St. Louis style pizza, and IMO's isn't your choice, try Guido's on The Hill or Cecil Whitaker's. Also, I highly recommend Pointer's, Joanie's and Cicero's. I personally like IMO's, but The Hill IMO has some of the best Italian food in the entire country. Joanie's and Cicero's are also very hard to beat.l
I'll have to check that place out, I am always going past it on the way to Gioia's.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:44 PM

89 posts, read 237,512 times
No one mentions McGurk's and their offerings.

McGurk's Irish Pub and Garden, Bar located in St. Louis, Voted the best bar in St. Louis.

Among the best hot buffalo wings I had in StL. Heck, their entire menu is rather delicious. Also, some years ago, McGurk's won the coveted St. James Gate "Crystal Canes" award for having one of the best Guinness Stout nitro-charge delivery systems. Dunno any place that serves fresher Guinness in that perfect pint.

A hot wing reference:

Cluckbucket: Internet Hot Wing Database Results

You can get different Gooey Butter cake variations from grocer's and bakeries.

As for St. Louis style pizza, well, Fortel's does NOT use Hoffman's Provel. I dunno what blend they use, yet I was told while ordering from the Kirkwood Fortel's they use no Provel in the cheese blend (though it tastes like they use something that gives it a provel flavor; maybe jack?

You either like St. Louis style or no.

I do and always shall. My tastes can include CWP (Cecil Whittaker's Pizza) - Cecil Whittaker's Pizza | Thin-crust St. Louis-style pizza. A tradition since 1983., Farattos (where Jack Buck always weny afyer calling Card's games) - www.farottos.com-, and Joe Boccadi's Sicilian-style take on StL style pizza - Joe Boccardi's Ristorante.

Pirrone's Pizza in Florisasant - Pirrones Pizza, Banquet Center, St. Louis Style Pizza, Private Parties, St. Peters and Florrissant MO.

So there you go.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eartmoth View Post
I agree it's not the best of neighborhood's however, they did manage to attempt to cleanup that area over the years somewhat.

First, I have always found the area around Crown Candy to be more desolate than dangerous.

Second, I have been there many times and am finding it difficult to remember a single time where there hasn't been a cop in the place eating.

==============================================

Personally, my favorite breakfast in St. Louis is ... Gus's Pretzels. I know, unusual.

I particularly like the salsiccia and bratwurst pretzels.

================================================== =

I get a lot of questions about where to actually get snoots and the St. Paul Sandwich. In my ten years, I sw neither.

Last edited by jlawrence01; 07-22-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis